Nikon d3 for £2100 - worth it?

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
One of the togs at my local club is selling his d3 as he's upgrading to a d3x and he's looking for £2100. Is it worth the upgrade from my newly arrived d700 that was received this morning. I'd use the additional fps at the swim meets so I guess the answer is yes.

What would you do in my position??

The last guy I spoke to that had a D3 (pro tog) said he'd wished he'd have saved some money and bought a D700...

Personally at £2100 I'd rip his arm off, depending on condition of course!

punt the d700 unless you like small primes and then itll just look weird (like the guy i saw yesterday)

well it's mint condition with 8000 clicks on it,(just got back tpm having a look and play) so I'll probably go for it.

I wish I'd known about it yesterday :bang:

Anyone want the brand new d700 o just received from puddleduck? :LOL:

I'll be putting it (d700) up on the fs forum later when I get home :D

im tempted but its still a stretch too far for me financially

so im looking at MF stuff :thinking:

Out of interest what are your thoughts. We purchased a canon 1ds mk11 a couple of weeks ago and in my opinion I love it compared with the 5D but then I grew up on large cameras.

How do you compare it to the D700

stew

:LOL: Is this one gonna be a keeper?! :D

who knows :LOL:

at least i know its worth the money :)

That was a quick turnaround :LOL:

:LOL: I know - if i had gone out for a beer with the guys during the week i would have known about it then and bought it instead of buying Andy's and having to sell it :bang:

My god mate - I thought I changed my mind allot :) Good luck with the D3 !

Wife has banned me from spending money so i dont really have that much choice in the matter!

So when do you start looking for the D3x? :)

When i can get one for £500 more than i can get for the D3 :LOL:

WOW Chris... a D3 eh... class stuff I have to say. What lenses do you have with this now...?

I am sure you're going to love using it.

Well i sold mine for £1500 and a Canon 5D so thats proabably about £2,200 at todays 5D prices. I saw one go on ebay for £2000 with about 20 on the shutter! However i would say that thats a pretty good price.

My main question here is why someone at a local camera club feels they have reached the maximum potential of the D3 and needs a D3X!

I wouldn't go for the D3X. The D3 is more than adequate for ANY publishing job and most advertising jobs too....the D3x is just more overkill and giving up high ISO and frame rate for a much higher price tag.

From what I know about doing a few talks at camera clubs etc, camera club pictures mostly get projected onto a screen or printed to 16" x 12" max. The D3 will give fabulous results at those sizes and uses and far more besides.

Don't worry about changing the D3.

Because they can afford it

Exactly, I haven't reached the maximum potential of the D200 yet :) But if I won the lottery (unlikely as I don't even play it) then I would be buying a D3x tomorrow!! Oh and rather a lot of other stuff too :LOL:

welcome to the world of pro bodies - you'll love the D3. D3x is not an upgrade to the D3 - different camera for different jobs.

The last guy I spoke to that had a D3 (pro tog) said he'd wished he'd have saved some money and bought a D700...
Sounds a bit silly, you'd think a pro would buy the camera that suited their shooting style the best.

I'd be all over a second D3 at that price if its in good condition. If you need the extra features of the D3 and the higher frame rate would come in handy then I'd go for it. As always, only the person who is shooting with the camera knows if it is worth it to them... :)

My main question here is why someone at a local camera club feels they have reached the maximum potential of the D3 and needs a D3X!

Perhaps they're an accomplished landscape photographer who needs excellence at low, rather than high, ISO and is printing large with a need for great tonality and detail?

Just because it's a local camera club doesn't mean they're not good enough for a D3x, nor that it won't serve their needs better than a D3....

Back