NIKON D3 - ISO NOISE

EdinburghGary

Reply not Report
Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Very impressive compared to my D200, a few (crap) shots taken purely to test the ISO. One 3200, the rest are 6400...the indoor shots all in a room at night with very little light...the guy in the photo is a friend and colleague.

1 - 3200 ISO
iso3200gm3.jpg

2 - ISO 6400
iso64005go7.jpg

3 - ISO 6400
iso64006an6.jpg

4 - ISO 6400
iso64004jr9.jpg

5 - ISO 6400
iso64003oz7.jpg

6 - ISO 6400
iso64002ws2.jpg

7 - ISO 6400
iso64001me0.jpg

Not sure if these are useful or not for anyone thinking about buying one. I will post many more tests at some point...

Gary.

Should put these in the reviews mate. They won't get burried by Canon tosh as quick (y)

These are very good, but to be fair, the noise largely disappears when you reduce the image to this size, you can only really judge the noise in the 1:1 image. ;)

These are very good, but to be fair, the noise largely disappears when you reduce the image to this size, you can only really judge the noise in the 1:1 image. ;)

I will upload some 100%'s - when printing at say 7 x 5 or 8 x 6 etc, the same would apply, ie, its a smallish print, so noise should I guess be less obvious??

That's right Gary. The noise is at it's largest at 1:1 viewing and becomes far less noticeable as you reduce the size for web or for printing. Where it really becomes a problem is when you want to interpolate an already noisy 1:1 shot to image library size, when it's pretty much a nono.

No probs - I know the D3 is good anyway. ;)

I often find some of my 1:1 bird shots at high ISOs are pretty noisy when light levels are low. If I wanted to ouput the image at 1:1 size for a large print, any sharpening would just sharpen the noise too and make it even more prominent. Reducing the image to 800 pixels wide though, the noise largely disappears, and you can often do quite a lot of sharpening on the image at that size without the noise becoming intrusive.

Have to say, the D3's performance at these high ISO's is quite exceptional, I don't think there's anything that could beat this.

Back