Nikon D3: Moving the focus point

Name
Jez
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I've repeatedly searched through my D3 menus and done a great deal of Googling and come to the conclusion that there is no way to move the D3 focus point using the multi-selector without first half depressing the shutter.

Please please please will someone tell me that it *is* possible (and more importantly how!) - it's driving me up the wall, and has since the day I bought it... :bang::bang::bang:

Cheers,

Jez.

Think it's related to the meter going to sleep to save power. The shutter press wakes the camera up. You can probably alter the time period for this in the menu somewhere.

Same with the D800 really. Or at least I always have to half press the shutter to activate the ability to move the AF point.

On the D800 and D700, I can just scroll around the focus points using the multi selector buttons and IIRC the D3's the same.

On the D800 and D700, I can just scroll around the focus points using the multi selector buttons and IIRC the D3's the same.

Only when the camera has been actively used. If the camera has been left on but hasnt taken a photo for a minute or so (basically no shutter usage), the display goes to sleep, along with the AF module. You have to half press the shutter to then move the focus point to where you want it. Its exactly the same on each and every nikon DSLR I've owned to date (d5100, D300s, D3, D600)

You can just simply flick the on/off switch. Even though it's in the 'on' position Its spring loaded. brings it back to life every time. I automatically do it when I pick the camera back up or raise it to my eye.

Kev.

Only when the camera has been actively used. If the camera has been left on but hasnt taken a photo for a minute or so (basically no shutter usage), the display goes to sleep, along with the AF module. You have to half press the shutter to then move the focus point to where you want it. Its exactly the same on each and every nikon DSLR I've owned to date (d5100, D300s, D3, D600)

TBH, it's very rarely that I leave any of mine on long enough for them to go to sleep - turning them off between shooting opportunities gives better battery life. From the fuss the OP was making, I thought he was having an issue with his camera not that he just couldn't be bothered to press a button!

Sorry to make such a fuss. I thought it was a fairly simple question, but hey. :shrug:

It's not that I "can't be bothered", but that the multi-selector doesn't fall neatly under my thumb, especially when shooting in portrait node. So the half pressing of the shutter button means sort of swivelling my hand around, which isn't particularly easy when shooting with a large lens when my other hand isn't in a position to support the camera, it being busy supporting the lens.

Thanks for the replies - looks like I'll have to continue putting up with it. Shame - it's the only negative thing I've found with the camera in the five years I've owned it.

I'll try the 'flicking the power switch' next time though - thanks for that tip!

Cheers,

Jez.

...You have to half press the shutter to then move the focus point to where you want it. Its exactly the same on each and every nikon DSLR I've owned to date (d5100, D300s, D3, D600)
No, not the D300s! :D
Touching the multiselector wakes things up... setting f3: reset meter off delay

...the multi-selector doesn't fall neatly under my thumb, especially when shooting in portrait node.
The manual states, that in portrait mode you use the command wheels to move the points???

A quick read in the D3 manual shows these settings should do the trick... :cautious:

menu f1: reset (center button centers focus point)
and menu f2: reset meter off delay

But it's of course purely guesswork from my side - don't own a D3 yet (?) :LOL:

...that may very well solve my problem!
And? Did it?
munching_out.gif

OK, I feel a bit of a tit now, just tried turning on the D800 and moving the AF point without touching the shutter button ... and it does indeed move.

I'm just so used to not moving it until I've focused I had it in my head you had to half-press the shutter first ... d'oh.

So yeah, you can move focus points on a D800 soon as you switch the thing on ... :D

Recently (last week) purchased the Nikon D3 and wondered how to change the focus point. Looking in the manual I found out that you need to change the multi-selector to the dot not the L and then use the up, down, left or right to move the focus point.

Back