Votes: 14 29.2%
  • Nikon D600

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters
Name
Andrius
Edit My Images
No
Just looking for general opinion. All these cameras can be had for pretty close prices.

what would you choose? :)

(for your own style/type of photography). If you could drop a comment why would you choose that camera.

Please participate everyone :)

Thank you

IF the D700 was still available new, I would buy that (I have one.) and that's how I voted. It's pretty much a D3 in a lighter chassis. Can't remember what the D600 adds to the D700 in terms of features, MP etc. but I do know it's built around a plastic chassis rather than a magnesium alloy one - not that that's all bad - modern plastics are fairly robust and tend to be lighter than metals. I have upgraded to a D800 but have kept the D700 as well. I'm extremely fortunate to be able to indulge my hobby like that!

I voted D3 as i faced the same decision last year & that was the choice i made.
after using the full sized D2Xs for a while the smaller bodys just feel a tad wrong, plus to get the faster framerate you have to fit a grip which makes the D700 even bigger!
Shooting fast moving small RC buggys really tests your AF & the D3 seems to do pretty well plus being able to use the same batterys as the D2xs is nice & the button layout is almost identical. most of my stuff is for online use only & 12mpx is fine for that & the D600 files would take up a lot more room.
Also the D600 was a step too far back in control interface for me although i understand it has a very good sensor. :)
the D3 is tough fast & reliable, it just gets it done (y)

I selected the D600, primarily due to image quality.

D3/D700 can't beat the D600 in IQ department. Compared to D3/D700 there are 2 stops of dynamic range, one stop of noise performance, more accurate colours. Also the electronics has been improved, there is less read and amp noise, no banding, no artefacts during long-exposures, and much improved hot-pixel suppression algorithms 24mp is a sweet spot on full-frame and the new Sony sensor is just amazing. Huge headroom for cropping (or much larger prints). If you are concerned about quality, you have to take the D600. Iin some areas it is even better than the D4 sensor (DR at base ISO and resolution) or D800 (less noise at pixel level). It is unfortunate, Nikon hasn't put the sensor to higher class body.

AF is a mixed bag. There are positives (focusing at f/8 - a big deal for wildlife) and negatives (less AF points, doesn't focus as well under low light). Also the shutter-lag is noticeably longer on D600 (and D700) than on D3.

As far as camera control is concerned. Don't trust the reviews that says the D600 has less control. It actually has a few nice tweaks over D700 (or D3) . Such as dedicated button for shooting banks, intelligent auto ISO, much better liveview, dedicated shooting mode wheel, dedicated BKT button, more customization options for Fn, faster switching of AF patterns, etc.

The only area where the D600 significantly falls behind is the build quality. It is plastic body, less durable. The eyepiece is significantly worse. Connector to grip is fragile. Plastic front panel and bottom doesn't feel confident enough. Also the doesn't qualify for NPS programme membership, etc.

Last edited:
I'm shooting with D3 and D700, never used a D600 in anger the AF system puts me off the camera.

I will be trading my D700 for another D3 soon. it depends what you want.

If you are a Pro you want the D3 for its dual card reader robust build quailty and amazing AF and veiwfinder.

If you an amature portable camera then the D600 is the clear choice.

and if you want a mixture of the two then the D700 is your machine.

I own both the D700 & D600. Since getting the D600 the D700 has been relegated to backup.

The D600 delivers better IQ, can do video and has dual slots & silent mode. Perfect for weddings. D700 button layout is slightly better but so what? Nothing to write home about.

Those who complain about the build quality of the D600 are just nit picking. It's hardly rubbish.

I would have to choose the D3; preferably the D3s. For what I do I want the best AF system, best low light/poor weather capabilities, and highest frame rate.
The D600 has a DX AF system, is done w/ analog gain by ISO 1600, and smaller pixels (worse low light performance).
The D3 and D700 are essentially the same sensor. The D3 has dual cards, built in grip, better batteries, higher frame rate, better weather sealing, stronger build. It also weighs more. You can get "closer" to the D3 by adding grip/D3 batteries to the D700, but then it weighs about the same.

The D3s is better yet, and damn close to the D4.

D3 or D3s for me, I just like to have a handful of camera it makes me hold it better, I love having 2 card slot, I like the build, sometimes I find myself putting my gear down to pick up another outfit and I don't always inspect what it fall onto not that I miss treat them but in the heat of a shoot I can forget myself. they sit better on big lenses, and most of all 12 mega pixels are enough.

For me maybe the D3 as those i just sold mine,due to health problem a large kit is just heavy to carry around theses days.
Then the D700,just don't need the mp that the D600 gives 12mp is fine for the kind of photograph i take.

The D3s but the s/h prices are still quite high :)

I voted for the D600. For me the D3 is too big, I have a grip on my D800 but I like the fact that I can remove it when I want to travel light. The D700 has a lot to go for it but lacks few things that I consider important, 100% view finder coverage and dual card slots.

As mentioned before the image quality of tge D600 is alot better than that of the D3 and D700.

The plastic built of the D600 doesn't bother me as I still think its well built

I had this choice and chose the D3.

Why No :
D700 only one memory slot
D600 dont like the layout

Why yes:
D3 is a workhorse, approximately 300000 shutter count lifespan before its time to replace ( D700 and D600 = +/-150000 )
D3 battery 4000+ photos
D3 tried and tested . This camera can take a beating and does not stop for lunch.
D3 AF system is fast!

The best camera is the D3 - the reasons Dewan gave are the ones that persuaded me to pay the extra £1200 over the D700.

But isn't Andrius' question about a used D3 vs used D700 and new D600? at the same price? Then I would be likely to dismiss the D3 if it has been heavily used and torn between the D700 and D600...it would be down to whichever feels the best in my hands.

12MP to me is sufficient.

now i have a d800 and a d7100, i'd get a d600 for battery compatibility, dual card slots and for it being more modern. it would probably be coupled with my 24-70 / 50mm most of the time, a nice light little setup. In fact, i think i might go buy one right now. :eek:

Last edited:
The best camera is the D3 - the reasons Dewan gave are the ones that persuaded me to pay the extra £1200 over the D700.

But isn't Andrius' question about a used D3 vs used D700 and new D600? at the same price? Then I would be likely to dismiss the D3 if it has been heavily used and torn between the D700 and D600...it would be down to whichever feels the best in my hands.

12MP to me is sufficient.

Yep, I meant used cameras :) AF points of D600 puts me of of buying it. As I need something with very accurate and fast AF (good AF in low light too).

But I will give another try for D600 in a local shop. Can't believe I missed 2x D700 (around 40k on clock on both) in that shop. Both were priced at £750 (including 12month warranty!).

Back