nikon d3!

Hacker has a nice D3.

By the way you get 51 points on the D300 too.

Well all I can say is... It's Awesome!

If you don't have the cash for one, don't go near one. At least now there's no shortage of them, the wait killed me when I was waiting for mine to come in.

Pete

For once I would have to say, "believe the hype". It's a camera that has totally changed the way I can go about photography - the high ISO performance means I more or less shoot manual constantly. I set the shutter/aperture combination I want, then leave auto-ISO to sort out the exposure. Focussing performance and metering are also very impressive.

As an example, my wife and I were in Barcelona recently in the Santa Maria del Mar church. I was looking around taking in the church, and a girl, absolutely lost in thought, wandered up to the candles, lit one, then slowly lifted the match up and blew it out. I had time to grab my camera (which was set on 1/60th and F2.8 I think) and snap a photo - ISO3200, but I was amazed how well it came out. It was close to dark in the church, but the D3 not only grabbed a very usable shot, but auto-focussed in an instant.

2425555022_58dbcf0fb3_o.jpg

Same thing going to circuit Catalunya - I could set the shutter/aperture I wanted, then leave the Auto-ISO to take care of the exposure. The 9fps also helps when you're shooting at very low shutter speeds and trying to nail that one really sharp photo

2426017202_5b73094cf8_b.jpg

(Much larger version can be seen on flickr)

Price-wise it's surely not for everyone, and I'm pretty sure that 99% of the performance will be available at less than half the price within a year or so. But....as icecavern said, it really is awesome!

I've only had mine about ten days and as such I am still on the learning curve but it is a great camera.

The AF is exceptionally good and if you need any convincing here is a series of four shots taken yesterday in appalling weather, 21 point AF and 9fps so these images were taken in less than half a second - and believe me when I say this dog is quick!

0804_AF-tracking_004-1.jpg

0804_AF-tracking_002.jpg

0804_AF-tracking_003.jpg

0804_AF-tracking_004.jpg

One slight downside that I discovered yesterday is that there is quite noticeable vignetting when using the 70-200m VR at 200mm and f/2.8 although it seems to almost disappear when you stop down to f/4 - it is also easily correctible in LR so I'm not too bothered.

do you think my boy will kill me if i didnt get my 5d (which i have saved up for over a year now) and got the d3 instead, ignoring the fact that my credit card would probably melt?
hehe

I've been shooting with the D3 for a couple of months now and can certainly back up the "Believe the hype" point.

I kept my D2Xs as 2nd body - but to be honest I'm finding myself changing lenses rather than use it.

I got mine at the end of November I think it was, and I have to say it takes a bit of getting used to. Not sure why, the transition from a D2x to a D3 should be easy but I'm finding it more difficult than I thought. But I've just not shot enough with it yet sadly. I need to put more actuations on that shutter. :)

The results are just so film like now though.

Pete

Back