Nikon D300 M Mode

Jas

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm someone can help me out so I can understand if I am doing something wrong:
I normally shoot in Aperture priority but chose M mode to keep the exposure slightly under after metering and checking the histogram. I was still using autofocus, but every time I took a shot, the settings jumped on the shutter speed while keeping the aperture constant.

It was almost like the camera was trying to second guess where I had got the previous exposure out and moved its settings to compensate. Why on earth would it do this in a Manual mode?

Any advice / experience would be really appreciated.
Jas

The viwfinder display will show any under/over exposure appropriate to the settings you have manually chosen. Look at the info on the viewing screen for the images you have taken; do they show the shutter speed you selected or a different value ?

Gareth,

they show the details for the shot I have just taken, but without me doing anything other than just having pressed the shutter for the previous photo, it automatically changes the shutter speed for the next photo, often by more than just a small amount e.g. a couple of times I shot at 0.5" (or 1/2") and it would jump to 2.5" before the next shot.

I was not mistaken in any way, it was definitely in M mode.

If you're saying that the shutter speed you set is actually physically changing in Manual Mode, then there's no way that is right. In Manual Mode you set the shutter speed and the aperture, and they stay set unless you change them.

Definitely get it returned to the dealer!

Just a thought but are you sure you don't have auto bracketing set?

And another thought... does the camera have Auto ISO?

Just a thought but are you sure you don't have auto bracketing set?

And another thought... does the camera have Auto ISO?

My first thoughts as well, particularly the bracketing.

I'll check the bracketing, but definitely not the auto iso.

Thanks for the tips so far.......currently looking likely to be going back to the dealer as the D200 doesn't do this.

Back