Nikon D3000

Edit My Images
Yes
Got a Nikon D3000 as a Christmas Gift.

Is this a good piece of kit for a total beginner and is it hard to master ?

Any good tips or helpful videos ?

Last edited:
It works the same as other cameras so can do the same as everyone else, there are newer models with newer bits, but underneath the fundamentals are the same.

It's a good camera and will start you off well, if you get other lenses, you can use these on other Nikon cameras if you choose to upgrade.

Try and leave the auto modes behind and move into A, S, or even M modes, but A and S should cover most things

Cheers Dale,i'm guessing to start i should just get out there and shoot some pictures.

If i was to invest in a new lens,what would be a good step-up without busting the bank ?

Have you got the 18-55mm kit lens? I would look at a 55-300mm or 70-300mm lens to give you more reach and give you more flexibility, then you can work out which you use, what you like shooting and what you want to achieve.

I had a D60 and now have a D3100. I found that both often over exposed on scenes that my basic compact would have no problems with.

Counter intuitively, under exposure is less of a problem at higher ISO settings. The basic message is, don't stick it on 100 ISO and assume that you are getting the best image quality.

I had some great images out of mine, and found it really easy to get to grips with. Used it with the 18-105, the 55-300 and the 35mm 1.8, and had really pleasing results from each.

oldnick said:
I had a D60 and now have a D3100. I found that both often over exposed on scenes that my basic compact would have no problems with.

Counter intuitively, under exposure is less of a problem at higher ISO settings. The basic message is, don't stick it on 100 ISO and assume that you are getting the best image quality.

I often shoot with -0.7 on the exposure compensation, this generally suits, also gives slightly faster shutter speeds and if needed can recover in photoshop as I shoot in raw

I often shoot with -0.7 on the exposure compensation, this generally suits, also gives slightly faster shutter speeds and if needed can recover in photoshop as I shoot in raw

I do this too, but the dynamic range still seems poor, granted shooting in RAW solves almost everything

Back