Nikon D300s Issue

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
Hi.......

I'm having an issue with my D300s. It refuses to read my memory cards correctly. Everytime i put a card in, be it CF or SD it started saying 999 images left. Then it has declined since saying 555, then 124 and now only 58. This issue is regardless of weather i have formatted the cards or not. Am wondering has anyone else come across this issue before, and if so can you offer up any advice?

Many Thanks.

Hi.......

I'm having an issue with my D300s. It refuses to read my memory cards correctly. Everytime i put a card in, be it CF or SD it started saying 999 images left. Then it has declined since saying 555, then 124 and now only 58. This issue is regardless of weather i have formatted the cards or not. Am wondering has anyone else come across this issue before, and if so can you offer up any advice?

Many Thanks.

Hi and welcome to TP

Firstly, I am not a Nikon user!

But your post puzzled me because you have given no structure to what you say your problem is???

Can you please expand on what you mean?

Such as ~ are you saying that once the card is in place.......and touching nothing the number displayed is dropping to those exact numbers with any empty card inserted? And this is a repeatable/reproducible problem (?).

Or, are you using the camera (taking pictures?) and the number is reducing? If so, can I ask if this is your first ever digital camera? Why do I say that, well let me state the obvious:-

All cameras will, for an empty memory card, give you a figure of how many images the card will record (i.e. approx. free space) As you take pictures the number will reduce to show the remaining space (based on approx. number of images).

Does the above make sense for you in regard the question you asked? Or have I completely misunderstood you post???

Plus based on the above.....have read the manual for the camera???

Last edited:
Are you changing the quality or size of picture you are taking i.e. from normal to fine to raw or from small to medium to large?
These changes will result in pictures taking up more memory and therefore less will fit on a card.

Are you changing the quality or size of picture you are taking i.e. from normal to fine to raw or from small to medium to large?
These changes will result in pictures taking up more memory and therefore less will fit on a card.
Good point....... but also surely covered in the manual ;)

Good point....... but also surely covered in the manual ;)
But how many people read, and understand, the manual?, years ago an old engineer said to me "if all else fails, read the destructions"

But how many people read, and understand, the manual?, years ago an old engineer said to me "if all else fails, read the destructions"

Ah! that old chestnut....... kind of goes with the plumber's favourite spanner, the 2lb club hammer ;)

Last edited:
Hmmm. It used to be true that a degree of native intelligence could often get there quicker than wading through pages of guff. Hopefully, it still can be true, and is dependent on experience, but as technology advances, how things are actually constructed becomes more remote from ordinary everyday humans.

But none of this helps the OP, who might have a faulty camera.

Dan, if you've tried several cards or at least 2 of different types, it might imply that it's the camera's fault. But do always format each card via the camera, never via your computer.

If you do that, & the error is just the same, it would seem that the camera is at fault.

In which case you could research repair costs, or budget to replace the body. Depends how strapped you are. £450 would get you a very good used D700, or a more modern D610 with enhanced dynamic range, but they're both full frame & your lenses might not suit. Or you could just replicate what you've got for less, or try a D7000 series.

I sympathise with your plight.

Last edited:
999 images usually means the card has space for 999+ images (often thousands) I've never seen one display 555 before unless the card was filling up from a larger number and was counting down so to speak. You should format in camera rather than PC and numbers will vary with size of card and image size and type (jpeg or raw, large small ect) other factor will affect the size slightly too such as image content on an image by image basis.
Really we'd need more info to try and trouble shoot. It might be worth mentioning what area your based as maybe someone local could take a look at for you.

Until @snappysnapsnaps returns and adds some more details & clarity to exactly what is happening.....and how any of the posting will/have/might help is moot ;)

Added to which, if it's declining extra fast, and the OP is shooting but it's going down more than he thinks it should, is it shooting in Continuous Hi mode, hence filling space quickly.

Back