Nikon D300s

Name
Chris Stone
Edit My Images
Yes
I am really struggling need serious advise have D300s use for average photography should I change for updated D5000 or stick with 300s what difference will I see

Help

None really. Slightly better higher iso and less physical buttons and worse build quality.
Why aren’t you happy with the d300?
Unless you mean d500...

get a d5500 or d7000 range. the iso performance of the d300 / d300s were not that great

Last edited:
Don’t quite agree with that statement..... The d300 & d300s we’re/are plenty capable camera’s. I‘d stick with what you have and invest in some good glass that will make your Adventure going forward an enjoyable one. When you have mastered the Camera then and only then would I upgrade to a modern Mirrorless Camera.

wish I'd never sold mine :( Lovely camera, very capable

I too still had the nikon D300 ( shutter count 29443) with all the grip stuff plus the BL3 end cap and the EN-EL4a Batteries and charger. I had thought about selling it all with a couple of lenses . However what I would get for it all is not worth selling_DSC7903a.jpg

Last edited:
I am really struggling need serious advise have D300s use for average photography should I change for updated D5000 or stick with 300s what difference will I see

Help

or update to a nikon D810 well worth it

This sounds like the same old story of wanting to engage in retail therapy for its own sake without knowing why, perhaps in the vain hope that it'll make you a better person?

If you're keen on photography, normally you need a camera, which you have a solid & capable example of. What's lacking? What doesn't please you about your images?

Help
OK, so the real question is what doesn't it do that you want? I can think of many reasons not to use a D300 over a more recent camera, but it's more useful to know why YOU need something better.

As said, with a D5000 you'll have more pixels and fewer controls plus lower build quality. The D5000 will be lighter and may have better dynamic range, though possibly not (something you should check).

The D300 most likely feels better in the hand and has a brighter viewfinder. The D5000 has a tilty screen and is more toy-like ...

Last edited:
I would rather have the D300s, than a D5000. The D5000 does not have an in built motor. Maybe it is the D500 body, what the OP means.

Last edited:
Think he's wandered off, anyway. Wonder if he has a memory problem ...?

I used to have the d300s. If you have the right lenses and if you know how to use your camera, it can still bring you a lot of joy :)

Back