Beginner Nikon D3100 aperture setting Question, might be a daft one !

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
Simply this, in M mode the camera, it seems, is not fully manual, it imposes limits on aperture, most often only allowing me to go to f5.6, when I would like to be more open. I've looked for info via a popular search engine and on this site.. but drawing a blank.

Am I missing a trick? Is there some sort of lock I need to over-ride ?

I'm finding it quite frustrating that even in M mode, it won't let me set up the way I want to.

I'm not asking for advice on which f stop /speed / ISO etc to use, I really just want to know if there is a way to set it how I'd like to :D

Thanks for any help / info / directions to answers elsewhere :)

This is with standard kit lens 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 G

Have a premonition that this might be why ? ( and I'm being dim :confused: ) !

Yes :) The lens is restricted to a max aperture of 3.5 at the wide angle end and 5.6 at the long end.

The "3.5-5.6" means it's a variable aperture zoom, therefore you'll only have the 3.5 towards the 18mm end, and as you get near 55mm, you'll only be able to open up to 5.6. :)

(Edit - as said above, but they were quicker on the draw. :D)

Last edited:
Thank you both, that makes a sort of sense !

I had thought that it was some sort of lock on the camera, as despite the lens saying 3.5-5.6, I can narrow the aperture way beyond 5.6 !

Also, annoyingly, means i might have to fork out for the 35mm 1.8 I've had my eye on :D

Thanks for the speedy replies, much appreciated :nikon: ( most of the time :p)

BRIEF UPDATE :

Picked up the Nikon AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8G yesterday, purchase justified to Mrs Chap using the info kindly provided above by helpful folk

:ty:

Back