Beginner Nikon d3300 First ever pictures (advise please)

Name
Damen
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys these are my very first pics I did, I shot in raw, Lightroom edited and saved as jpegs.

please can you advise me on what other editing I might need to do??

I know the big house picture top right the sky is too white therefore I did a black and white also.

Nikon d3300 18-55mm kit lens, all mainly shot in manual mode and couple of others auto iso

Cusworth Pictures 2017 (12 of 15) by damen ford, on Flickr

cusworth 1 (1 of 1) by damen ford, on Flickr

cusworth black n white (1 of 1) by damen ford, on Flickr

Cusworth Pictures 2017 (1 of 15) by damen ford, on Flickr

cusworth black n white 1 (1 of 1) by damen ford, on Flickr

Cusworth Pictures 2017 (7 of 15) by damen ford, on Flickr

Cusworth Pictures 2017 (10 of 15) by damen ford, on Flickr

Cusworth Pictures 2017 (3 of 15) by damen ford, on Flickr

Last edited:
I like them, I think the building shots are best.

They're well exposed, level (which a lot of people forget about!) and it seems you understand composition!

Edit: after your post of the ducks, they're well exposed but for me you need to be at their eye level (probably laying on the floor) for a decent shot.

Thanks tjg these are my very first attempts, are they well exposed as in a good expose or as in too much exposure??

I like them, I think the building shots are best.

They're well exposed, level (which a lot of people forget about!) and it seems you understand composition!

Edit: after your post of the ducks, they're well exposed but for me you need to be at their eye level (probably laying on the floor) for a decent shot.

Thanks tjg these are my very first attempts, are they well exposed as in a good expose or as in too much exposure??

arrr yes I did think that, although if I got a floor shot id be rolling in some very muddy grounds lol

They're fine, go easy on the graduated filter for the sky, it makes the tree tops look funny. You don't always need a bright blue sky.

Nice work. I had a d3300 and it is a really nice camera. Especially as your first one! Agree with all that has been said above. Lovely composition, lovely colours, just don't go mad with the PP (easier said than done sometimes)

They're fine, go easy on the graduated filter for the sky, it makes the tree tops look funny. You don't always need a bright blue sky.

Hahahaha, ye i do try to hard on the sky to be honest, ill bare that in mind 100%

Nice work. I had a d3300 and it is a really nice camera. Especially as your first one! Agree with all that has been said above. Lovely composition, lovely colours, just don't go mad with the PP (easier said than done sometimes)

Thanks alot for ur comment, i love the camera its awesome, eventually ill get a new lens but for now i want to walk before i can run, thats good advise ill take that on board :)

Can't say anymore than has been said.

You have an eye for a photo and that's the hardest thing to learn.

Like 'em Damo.

Thanks so much, it deffo fills me with confidence with your self and others saying good nice things :)

Last edited:
I'd consider using a lower F stop than f18 to help quality. Check that the white halo around the tree aint due to sharpening, remove the chromatic aberration and dust bunny. Otherwise very nice.

I'd consider using a lower F stop than f18 to help quality. Check that the white halo around the tree aint due to sharpening, remove the chromatic aberration and dust bunny. Otherwise very nice.

I tried to use a lower f stop but it was that sunny the lighting exposure was very bright, i did try a like a f9 with a fast shutter speed to try and compensate the lighting as a low f stop with a slower shutter speed was even worse, is there any other advise i could do on this?

Appriciate ur input :)

From another newbie, very nice. Really like the B&W one.

Thanks Matt :)

F-stop, little number big hole.

Thats it bud, when the sun was out in full force if i had say 5.6 the picture would be even more exposed with the sun

Im right in saying smaller f stop number biggsr hole and also more blur background if i was to shoot a particular object etc

Nice photos [emoji2]. I'm new to photography and have a D3300 as well. Think I/ we made a good choice!!

Thats it bud, when the sun was out in full force if i had say 5.6 the picture would be even more exposed with the sun

Im right in saying smaller f stop number biggsr hole and also more blur background if i was to shoot a particular object etc
Hi Damo, I'm about a mile from there.

You clearly have an eye for composition, keep it up.

Read up on the exposure triangle, there's a great resource in the tutorials section here, but you ought to be able to get a large enough aperture with your gear in the UK.
The result would be lower ISO, faster shutter.

They're nice shots - I'd be happy with those. Turns out that Cusworth Hall is not too far from me, so might have a visit there at some point. :)

There's a bit of sensor dust on the first one (far left, just above the trees). It's probably noticeable because you shot at f/18 and is unlikely to be visible at wider apertures. It'll be a piece of cake to edit it out in Lightroom or Photoshop with the spot removal tool.

Hi Damo, I'm about a mile from there.

You clearly have an eye for composition, keep it up.

Read up on the exposure triangle, there's a great resource in the tutorials section here, but you ought to be able to get a large enough aperture with your gear in the UK.
The result would be lower ISO, faster shutter.

Thanks phil :), ye ive read a few and im always researching and trying so will keep at it, i live aroubd the corner from cusworth hall so its a easy location, if your ever up for meeting and taking a few shots im always up for a walk around there :)

They're nice shots - I'd be happy with those. Turns out that Cusworth Hall is not too far from me, so might have a visit there at some point. :)

There's a bit of sensor dust on the first one (far left, just above the trees). It's probably noticeable because you shot at f/18 and is unlikely to be visible at wider apertures. It'll be a piece of cake to edit it out in Lightroom or Photoshop with the spot removal tool.

Thanks :), im very happy with the photos but i know such as you guys would be able to advise me further which is great, as i said to phil with me living around the corner from cusworth hall if you ever wanna meet up at some point id be willing :), next on my to buy list is a tripod.

Last edited:
As a beginner of many years, I have nothing constructive to add except that I agree with all the comments above. You seem to have a great eye for composition. I can pay no better compliment than to say that I am enjoying looking at your photos.

As a beginner of many years, I have nothing constructive to add except that I agree with all the comments above. You seem to have a great eye for composition. I can pay no better compliment than to say that I am enjoying looking at your photos.

Thanks so much, i cant wait to get out and get some more practise in, i still have the raw files saved so ill get them back on my Mac and have another play around.

Back