Beginner nikon d3300 or d5300?

Name
Jack
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi this will be my first slr camera all this is new to me which one should i get is the extra £100 for the d5300 worth it??

thanks for your help in advanced

I considered both these models recently and decided that the extra for the D5300 wasn't worth it and went for the D3300 instead. The controls on each are similar and the 5300 has only a couple of additional features that I felt I could live without. You can put the saving towards another lens.

You can put the saving towards another lens.
Or a better lens.

A mistake which is often made by beginners is to spend too much on the SLR body and not enough on the lenses. Most of the time it's the lenses that have a bigger effect on the quality of your images.

Hi this will be my first slr camera all this is new to me which one should i get is the extra £100 for the d5300 worth it??

Can't really comment but I bought the D5300 last Sept because of the Flip-Out screen ... I find myself shooting things from odd angles like ground level.

I must say I'm disappointed with the battery life even though I have Wifi and GPS permanently switched off. It's supposed to do 600 shots, I'm getting nearer 60, but I guess that just proves I'm spending too much time fiddling, deleting, turning live-view on & off, driving clunky focus motors with VR ... must all be a drain.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-D3300-vs-Nikon-D5300

Can't really comment but I bought the D5300 last Sept because of the Flip-Out screen ... I find myself shooting things from odd angles like ground level.

I must say I'm disappointed with the battery life even though I have Wifi and GPS permanently switched off. It's supposed to do 600 shots, I'm getting nearer 60, but I guess that just proves I'm spending too much time fiddling, deleting, turning live-view on & off, driving clunky focus motors with VR ... must all be a drain.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-D3300-vs-Nikon-D5300

Had mine about a week now and I get at least 500 out of mine per battery and I'm always fiddling with it, I also have WiFi on but not GPS I'd consider taking yours back might be a faulty battery ?

I bought both a D5200 and D3200 bodies for my kids and so had a very small play with both before handing them over.

The only major difference that I really picke up on was in the ergonomics really. The D3200 seemed a bit small and fiddly and the D5200 felt easier to grip/adjust controls.

From a few test shots only both gave similar images.

Had mine about a week now and I get at least 500 out of mine per battery and I'm always fiddling with it, I also have WiFi on but not GPS I'd consider taking yours back might be a faulty battery ?
Hi Jack .... congratulations on the new D5300. (y)

Re my battery ... I think where I'm going wrong [apart from the above mentioned battery draining habits] is ... after being out on a shoot I may have 50-100 shots on the card, I connect to my PC via USB cable keeping the camera on for half an hour or more while viewing the pics on my PC screen before uploading 2 or 3 of interest. I think normally one just uploads the lot to their machine [via USB or, even better, card reader] before thinking about keeping or deleting.

Last edited:
Hi Jack .... congratulations on the new D5300. (y)

Re my battery ... I think where I'm going wrong [apart from the above mentioned battery draining habits] is ... after being out on a shoot I may have 50-100 shots on the card, I connect to my PC via USB cable keeping the camera on for half an hour or more while viewing the pics on my PC screen before uploading 2 or 3 of interest. I think normally one just uploads the lot to their machine [via USB or, even better, card reader] before thinking about keeping or deleting.

Sounds like a dodgy battery to me.

I have the D3200 and get over 500 shots with one charged battery and it usually still has more in it. I've never managed to run a battery down to the point it dies on me.

Back