Beginner Nikon D3400 Blurred photos

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm new and have been trying to take photos from Nikon D3400, lens AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G but photos always seem to be blurred. I've tried manual, automatic etc but no luck. Camera & lens are brand new so less chance of anything wrong with it. I must be not using it right.

Camera settings in auto mode
View: https://imgur.com/a/o6T1ibL

Image JPG
View: https://imgur.com/a/rI1Tv5u

NEF image
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MsejiqzNW1XRM_tj9coHbNGAlkqspKVF/view?usp=sharing

Any suggestions?

Looks like a depth of field issue to me. You are at f/1.8 so you’ve got a very small amount of in focus area, which appears to be on the flat “flap”.

I’m guessing whatever object that is is quite small. Narrow your aperture down further and take the same shot. Also Invest in some better lighting as iso 4000 at f/1.8 means it must be pretty dark.

Also the camera is in manual focus, so make sure you are focusing on the right thing.

Last edited:
Were you quite close to the object? I wonder if the point of focus mayn't be behind the grey box?

Also, (although not an answer in this case) ISO 4000 on a crop sensor is pushing it for image noise (and therefore ultimate sharpness).

Ah, you also mentioned ISO 4000 :p

In that particular image, it's going to be difficult for the lens to auto focus accurately as there's very little contrast.

Have you tried taking the camera outside? Try a few images of a wall / fence with the lens stopped down to f5.6 or so and report back.

I tried with f5.6 and it is much better now, focus seems to be ok, I also used timer and tripod to avoid any shaking. This time I tried in natural light.
So can it be improved any further or that's it?

As others pointed distance was also an issue so I increased distance between camera and object this time.

Photo
View: https://imgur.com/NcN1q3P

Settings below

Attachments

• IMG_6832.JPG
    IMG_6832.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 6
Hi Mike just a note that if you are using a tripod any in camera or lens stabilisation should be turned off. Not a Nikon user so not sure if your camera/lens has this. But it is a common mistake, or at least I made it! ;)

Hi Mike just a note that if you are using a tripod any in camera or lens stabilisation should be turned off. Not a Nikon user so not sure if your camera/lens has this. But it is a common mistake, or at least I made it! ;)
Oh man, I should rather stick to iPhone, why did I buy a camera. Now I've to go and figure out where that stablisation thing is and how to turn it off. Humm!! I was thinking it's a beginner's camera and just point and shoot in Auto mode which is clearly not the case.

Now I've to go and figure out where that stablisation thing is and how to turn it off. Humm!!

Don't worry Mike - that lens doesn't have it. It's the longer lenses and zooms that will have this feature - nothing for you to worry about just yet. :)

I've got some nice pans, but its not made me a great cook, and for each success there are plenty of disasters or average meals. Photography is a skill that needs to be learned, and your second shoot shows a marked improvement. Ultimately photography is all about light. Natural light is a bonus, but natural light that can be modified with things to reflect light such as white card, or use of black materials to introduce shadows in places. Artificial light can be used as well, either a desk lamp, torches or flash guns.

Thank you all for inputs. I understand a bit more about camera now :) will keep trying and I hope I get better.

In your photo of the camera screen at the bottom left it shows MF. Is that because the camera and/or lens is set to Manual Focus?
Could be the issue with thd first image. the second settings screenshot shows its now in AF-A (auto focus - auto mode).

Oh man, I should rather stick to iPhone, why did I buy a camera. Now I've to go and figure out where that stablisation thing is and how to turn it off. Humm!! I was thinking it's a beginner's camera and just point and shoot in Auto mode which is clearly not the case.
I’d read up on the basics of aperture, shutter speed and ISO. did you buy the camera for product photography or this subject just for testing?

Thank you all for inputs. I understand a bit more about camera now :) will keep trying and I hope I get better.
You'll keep on learning, and you will get better.

Asking here is a great way of finding out more, and picking up tips. Way to go!

Back