Nikon D3400

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
No
Don't know if it's old news but I've just seen that the d3400 is now available

Only thing different is snap bridge, expanded ISO, and taken away the ultrasonic sensor cleaning whatever that was. I do wonder what else they can offer at this price bracket, and as such why bother with such frequent updates?

A very poor 'update' imho. :( Taking away the internal sensor cleaning whilst adding Bluetooth, which seems the only significant differences, then that is one to steer clear of unless Bluetooth and SnapBridge is really important.

Buy the cheaper current model, or even the one before that, if you want this type of camera. Taking away the sensor cleaning on a camera that may be used by those that may not be as careful as they need to be when changing lenses is unforgivable. :mad: An update for updates sake, and maybe a sign that Nikon are starting to penny pinch by taking features away, :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Only thing different is snap bridge, expanded ISO, and taken away the ultrasonic sensor cleaning whatever that was. I do wonder what else they can offer at this price bracket, and as such why bother with such frequent updates?

At that level of the market people expect new cameras every year. What, Canon have a camera that came out in 2016 and you are trying to sell me a Nikon that is a year older! :eek: ;)

As you go up the manufacturers ranges the time between updates for the various models gets longer, as maybe the people after those cameras may not be as attracted by the latest shiny new thing. ;)

Ive just got a D3300 with kit lens which cost my partner around £300ish, body only with marginal difference (and not for the better) for £399 body only?? JOG ON !

I think I read somewhere that the D3400 has twice the battery life?. Only selling point to me if true.

I think I read somewhere that the D3400 has twice the battery life?. Only selling point to me if true.

Yes, youre right, up to 1200 compared to 700 of the 3300, i stand corrected (said the man in the orthopedic shoes)

We've not seen much advances in ISO in the last few years it's slowed down quite a bit. Im in no rush to replace my 5 year old d5100.

Last edited:
We've not seen much advances in ISO in the last few years it's slowed down quite a bit. Im in no rush to replace my 5 year old d5100.
I think we've more or less reached the limits until some new tech comes along.

Picked up a pre owned D3300 and kit lens for £170 have since added the 55-300mm and 35mm prime which I bought together for under £200, got two spare batteries from amazon for £15 for the pair. Sadly there's nothing to tempt me even slightly, is this the norm for DSLR's? All seems very odd to me, having a camera with interchangeable lenses and removing a sensor cleaning function, is this an attempt to add value to the next tier up?

Having now used Snapbridge on my D500, I can see that it would be very useful and fun to have as a feature on a camera that is basically intended for days out/ family shots etc

For this reason I completely understand the 3300-3400 upgrade path. If having snapbridge is not important to you then I see no reason to choose 3400 over 3300.

Back