Nikon D3s Inconsistent exposures, same settings

Name
Seba
Edit My Images
Yes
Morning TP,

After a little help with some recent indifferent image results.

Whilst covering some races over the last couple of weeks I have been getting inconsistent image exposures on quick consecutively taken shots. The settings for the two images will be the same but the result will be different. Either the first image being the 'correct' exposure and the second being under exposed and blown out, or the other way around.

Couple of examples...

1. ISO 640. F4. 1/1600s
SSP_SD_01237_zps886a7df4.jpg

2. ISO 640. F4. 1/1600s
SSP_SD_01238_zpsdeb57a0b.jpg

As you can see the images are only a split second apart but the second is over exposed. The next couple of images are the next in sequence. The camera has now dropped down to 1/2000s but the same result happens.

3. ISO 640. F4. 1/2000s
SSP_SD_01239_zps4a05795c.jpg

4. ISO 640. F4. 1/2000s
SSP_SD_01240_zps9354356c.jpg

5. ISO 640. F4. 1/2000s
SSP_SD_01241_zps3a3faad7.jpg

This starting happening on my slightly older D3s a couple of weeks ago. It's currently on 150k clicks, so I sent it off to Fixation for a check up (yet to hear from them....) so I took my other 'newer' one out this weekend and the same thing started to happen. This D3s is on less than 20k clicks.

If there a setting in the camera that is causing this? Is it a shutter problem? A lens problem? (Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR1). It seems to happen more at this running races than at the football/rugby, infact I can't seem to remember it happening at any sort of match. Buffering problem maybe? I don't know.....

If anyone can shed some light (no pun intended) on this it would be hugely appreciated.

Seba

Looks like sticky aperture blades on the lens.

If it was one camera I'd suggest mirror box (which has little to do with the mirror). Since it's 2 cameras and one lens I'd say the lens mount needs looking at. New mount isn't very expensive.

Looks like sticky aperture blades on the lens.

If it was one camera I'd suggest mirror box (which has little to do with the mirror). Since it's 2 cameras and one lens I'd say the lens mount needs looking at. New mount isn't very expensive.

Ahh ok. Interesting. Thanks.

Ahh ok. Interesting. Thanks.

You can test it yourself.

On the back of the lens mont ia a little lever. Move this and it should snap back when you release it. My guess is it is a bit sluggish. Compare against a newer lens to get a feel for how fast it should move.

You can test it yourself.

On the back of the lens mont ia a little lever. Move this and it should snap back when you release it. My guess is it is a bit sluggish. Compare against a newer lens to get a feel for how fast it should move.

Awesome. Will give this a try. Would certainly make sense if it is the lens, as that is a constant, whereas I have switched cameras with the problem still remaining.

Thanks again.

Just heard back from Fixation on the 'older' D3s and they say "No fault found, check and clean, sensor clean", which is certainly now leaning towards the lens......

try shooting a sequence at 2.8 the iris doesn't have to close down for the shots, if the problem is still there it's lightly to be something else (it may get worse if you stop down to say f11/16 if it's sticky)

try shooting a sequence at 2.8 the iris doesn't have to close down for the shots, if the problem is still there it's lightly to be something else (it may get worse if you stop down to say f11/16 if it's sticky)

Will give this a go as soon as I'm home/tomorrow. Thanks. (y)

I had the same problem. It's no coincidence with the cameras as I had the problem on both my D3s and D700. I had an older version of the 300 2.8 and by changing the lens aperture ring (that doesn't feature on newer lens) it fixed the problem. I believe it was faulty contact pins.

I was told at the time by someone whether I had the camera stuck on bracketing and didn't realise :LOL:

I had the same problem. It's no coincidence with the cameras as I had the problem on both my D3s and D700. I had an older version of the 300 2.8 and by changing the lens aperture ring (that doesn't feature on newer lens) it fixed the problem. I believe it was faulty contact pins.

I was told at the time by someone whether I had the camera stuck on bracketing and didn't realise :LOL:

So possible faulty contact pins on the lens? Slowly narrowing down the problem. Getting there.

I'm going to send it off tomorrow to a check up and fix. Thanks for the input. (y)

P.s..... we've all done the bracketing thing at least once....!

So possible faulty contact pins on the lens? Slowly narrowing down the problem. Getting there.

I'm going to send it off tomorrow to a check up and fix. Thanks for the input. (y)

P.s..... we've all done the bracketing thing at least once....!

My was the pins as adding a little graphite from a HB pencil helped it last a lot longer but in the end I needed it changed and never had the problem again.

Back