Nikon D3s

Haven't had one for a number of years now but had a pair back in the day and they were superb, built like tanks and super image quality.

I saved up for a second hand D3S in 2013, but got sidetracked with a D7000 after a foolish click on that auction site. Intended to try it and sell it after a few months which ended up being 8 years. Eventually I part exchanged it for a high mileage D3S last April and that's what I'm using these days. Nice solid body. AF tracking in burst doesn't seem what I'd hoped it would be though.

A delight ergonomically, gives truly glorious images (I think the massive pixels really help), beautifully built. Less good? AF is very good indeed but not quite up to D5 level. It is amazing in low light but above say 6400 needs to be properly exposed to be really clean . 12800 is probably the upper useable limit. Files print very well indeed up to A3+ but would need work to go much beyond that, and 12MP doesn't leave huge room for cropping depending on what you are going to do with the image. But it's brilliant value.........

Thanks all for your thoughts and observation. I picked up a well used but cared for unit and a few primes the other day and I am enjoying using it. The small MP size makes me think more about in camera cropping than I do on my Fuji's. :nikon:

Back