Nikon D3xxx owners thread

It's a pretty nice lens! Can't complain for the price. I'll trade it in for one with AF when I have the extra money to add to it down the line.

Don't trade anything with those schmucks, offered me £155 for a camera that go for £350 - £400 on ebay.

This thread is a lot quieter than I expected. I would have thought there were far more owners in these ranges.

I think they were all assimilated by the borg and got a d750

It's been like a ghost town.
It is a bit slow here, so with that in mind...

I was busy with the grandchildren and pets yesterday, I had the D3300 and kit lens mounted on a tripod. Mainly did video with a few photos thrown in. Pretty pleased with the results, considering the price point.

Sony IMX-193-AQK
This si the sensor inside the d3300,same as in the 5300 5500 and 7200.ok not so many options in what you can do with it but no big deal
to me anyway.
As thom Hogan says pretty much state of the art 24mp crop sensor as of today

We’er the commoners of TP,basic amenities whilst looking starry eyed at the Sony nikon and canon Ff jobbies lol

Ok i tried the canon ex270 flash on my nikon d3300 but it doesnt work either on or off camera .am i missing something apart from the fact its a canon lol.ive read canon flashes work on nikon bodies,maybe is it because i have an entry level camera ? :D

Ok i tried the canon ex270 flash on my nikon d3300 but it doesnt work either on or off camera .am i missing something apart from the fact its a canon lol.ive read canon flashes work on nikon bodies,maybe is it because i have an entry level camera ? :D
View media item 8778
I did try an old film flash on my D3300, it was one that I used on my old film camera, pictured above. I know probably not the wisest thing to do, it did work though. Stopped using it because I could not regulate the power and for safety reasons. The D3300 is pretty good at high ISO anyway, so I have not bothered looking into a flash gun for it.

Motorsport.

I have only ever used basic kit lenses which really arent great. although they match my photography skills.
I just bought myself a 70-200 f2.8 so hopefully the first part of the above might improve a little!
the light is less of an issue, its more handy to have the faster AF.

Last edited:
I have a d5500. Just getting into photography and looking to buy myself a standalone copy of lightroom soon so i can enhance the photos i have.

I would post a couple up on here for others to have a play with, but im fairly sure they are shot in JPEG and not RAW which doesnt help!
Welcome to the paupers Club,

Motorsport.

I have only ever used basic kit lenses which really arent great. although they match my photography skills.
I just bought myself a 70-200 f2.8 so hopefully the first part of the above might improve a little!
the light is less of an issue, its more handy to have the faster AF.

For photos I mainly use the kit lens set at either 18mm or 24mm and I have managed to get some really pleasing photos with the D3300. Tend not to use the 35mm 1.8g all that much now, as I mainly photograph indoors and in the garden. The crop factor makes things too tight. I use my old film zoom lenses Tamron 28-300 and Nikon 70-300mm when doing video of wildlife etc and using manual focus works just a treat.

Welcome to the paupers Club,
I love making sensible purchases, I could never justify spending £800 plus on a camera. I once spent £650 on a video camera, within a few years it was worth about fifty quid. I will never spend big money on a camera ever again.

Besides, the D3300 etc is more than capable. :)

I love making sensible purchases, I could never justify spending £800 plus on a camera. I once spent £650 on a video camera, within a few years it was worth about fifty quid. I will never spend big money on a camera ever again.

There's little point investing any more until you know you have met the limits of your body. Once you know what you need extra from the camera that your current one doesn't do is when you know what to look for in an upgrade.

My abilities run out far before the body will.
I would say my biggest let down is my lack of PP skills which im hoping to address. Lightroom is a big 'topic' to learn, so im hopefully going to do it in small steps and learn as a go.
It is a perfect camera for me, the wifi was great when i need to back up photos on the move while on holiday / travelling.

There's little point investing any more until you know you have met the limits of your body. Once you know what you need extra from the camera that your current one doesn't do is when you know what to look for in an upgrade.
I had the D60 and the D80 the D3300 is the upgrade, for me anyway ;).

I also have an old Fuji X10 that is still plodding along and I bought a new Canon ixus Compact last month, slips in a shirt pocket with ease. I am well covered for any photo opportunity that may come along. :)

For photos I mainly use the kit lens set at either 18mm or 24mm and I have managed to get some really pleasing photos with the D3300. Tend not to use the 35mm 1.8g all that much now, as I mainly photograph indoors and in the garden. The crop factor makes things too tight. I use my old film zoom lenses Tamron 28-300 and Nikon 70-300mm when doing video of wildlife etc and using manual focus works just a treat.
Agree with you here Jon,my 1st thought with my d3300 was i must get the 35mm for it like ive always done ,its a good lens and has many recommendations but ive decided this time im not going down that road and i have the 18-55mm afp vr and am going to get the 70-300 afp vr and thats it.

I would say my biggest let down is my lack of PP skills which im hoping to address. Lightroom is a big 'topic' to learn, so im hopefully going to do it in small steps and learn as a go.
It is a perfect camera for me, the wifi was great when i need to back up photos on the move while on holiday / travelling.
You could always have a go with free software before paying for LR, something like rawtherapee is a good place to start.

Yes im never going to spend big money (for me) again.this camera is enough and i will use it till it falls apart :plus1:

Nick you can download a free trial of LR that has full use for a month,then afterwards you can still use the basic editing and catologuing etc until you decide what you want to do.
By the way there are plenty of free pdf books for and lots of great youtube vids to teach you

when I look at this which was taken from Flikr ,its not half as good as the one in my Photos App on the Mac,
do flicker compress it or something,I had to check it was the same photo, the face for example is really lovely and white on the original. hmm
,also the eyes don't look so sharp either

Last edited:
Omg how have i missed the new Nikon 10-22mm,this is going to be a very useful lens at a great price.on my xmas list

Omg how have i missed the new Nikon 10-22mm,this is going to be a very useful lens at a great price.on my xmas list
I had the Sigma 10-20mm that I used on my old bodies, D60 and D80. I found the images a little too distorted at times, but great for beach shots with fluffy white clouds stretching far into the distance. I also found the lens too heavy, I soon sold it on, as I had too much money tied up in it. I can't even remember what I did with the money, probably gave most of it to the missus. :)

Back