Nikon D4 Owner Thread

I'm a bit late to the party here as I bought Trevor's D4 a couple of weeks ago. So far so good [emoji106]

I have the D4s and have found when I press the button to review pics they at times flash up and then the screen goes blank again, sometimes they don't show at all until I press several times then other times it works fine. Might need to get it looked at soon. now taken 3000 shots with it so it's still very new at the moment but other than the stated then I'm loving it.

I have the D4s and have found when I press the button to review pics they at times flash up and then the screen goes blank again, sometimes they don't show at all until I press several times then other times it works fine. Might need to get it looked at soon. now taken 3000 shots with it so it's still very new at the moment but other than the stated then I'm loving it.
I have a D4s and my screen does not do that ever.FYI

Needs checking Mark, another here who never had it happen :)

I have the D4s and have found when I press the button to review pics they at times flash up and then the screen goes blank again, sometimes they don't show at all until I press several times then other times it works fine.
One of my cameras started doing that after it took a knock against a rock (I think it was the D810, but it might have been the D4). It cleared up after reformatting/reseating the cards.

I just got a D4, for the sake of checking it out, it is definitely worth the money, it is so sturdy and nicely build compared to my A7 which feels a bit flimsy :D I was wondering did anyone need to change the shutter already

I just got a D4, for the sake of checking it out, it is definitely worth the money, it is so sturdy and nicely build compared to my A7 which feels a bit flimsy :D I was wondering did anyone need to change the shutter already

Must be 8 times the size of the a7 :)

wow the D4 is like the least talked about camera body ever!

i hope that's because the owners are just out using them rather than sitting on the forums talking about them :)

Reactions: BBR
I know it's an old thread but I've just joined the D4 owners club and can't wait give it a whirl. Should sit happily alongside my D810.

Thread resurrection post, I have just bought one, its a 90k shutter but absolutely immaculate......apart from the usual viewfinder window switch missing paint which happens as soon as they leave the box by the look of all D4's I have seen, anyway after trying to get on with a D810 and failing miserably, the time came to move it on and get the camera I should have bought in the first place and boy am I happy, haven't had much time to test it properly, that's tomorrow, but from shooting the odd blackbird in the garden I can say I am very happy with the way this simply locks on to its target at warp speed and produces sharp images straight out of the box, will be holding on to this for a long time I think.

Thread resurrection post, I have just bought one, its a 90k shutter but absolutely immaculate......apart from the usual viewfinder window switch missing paint which happens as soon as they leave the box by the look of all D4's I have seen, anyway after trying to get on with a D810 and failing miserably, the time came to move it on and get the camera I should have bought in the first place and boy am I happy, haven't had much time to test it properly, that's tomorrow, but from shooting the odd blackbird in the garden I can say I am very happy with the way this simply locks on to its target at warp speed and produces sharp images straight out of the box, will be holding on to this for a long time I think.

It’s a brilliant camera. Let mine go to @Tirpitz Oct 2015. Something I still regret. Best camera I’ve owned.

I am so glad I made the switch, it simply does exactly what I want a camera to do, I can be framing one shot, turn around and spot these approaching and point and fire away knowing I will get the shot with no AF hunting issues.

IMPRESSED

_CAF0343_zpsd8kkcoas.jpg

I 'lost' my D4s and kit in my crash on the M40 (well documented last June). Once I was recovered enough to start to work again I had decided to give the hyped up Fuji system a go. It was a huge mistake. I have decided today to ditch the Fuji kit, at a pretty huge loss for the few times I used it, and go back to the bigger, heavier D4s and kit. I went down the smaller route because I wasn't sure if I would regain my strength and be able to use the Nikon.... I have been working on my core strength and sod it, I will just train so I can use a proper camera again!

Looking at the D4s and XT2 side by side, the body isn't that much bigger, not by the time you have put the motordrive on the bottom of the Fuji......too much hype and not enough sunstance. I liked the build quality of the Fuji, especially of the lenses, but the Nikon trumps it even in that department.

Normal service will be resumed very soon. D4s and a few lenses will be filling my bag again.

Sorry to hear about the accident Simon, glad to hear you are getting back to normality in most ways and looking to get another D4s

It’s a brilliant camera. Let mine go to @Tirpitz Oct 2015. Something I still regret. Best camera I’ve owned.

Not really used it a great deal tbh. been using the D810 a little more as i've been trying to bond with it. I never truly liked the D800 i had before, only nikon body i ever sold on! :cautious:
got the D4 out a few weeks back as i was asked to do some headshots for a local company for their website & took a few shots at home just to familiarise with the slightly differently located controls & found it to be back focussing somewhat.
i tried a few lens' & they were all better at -20 using fine tuning but not spot on. :thinking:
as it seems to be an issue using multiple lenses i guess i should look at sending it somewhere for recalibrating :thinking:

Not really used it a great deal tbh. been using the D810 a little more as i've been trying to bond with it. I never truly liked the D800 i had before, only nikon body i ever sold on! :cautious:
got the D4 out a few weeks back as i was asked to do some headshots for a local company for their website & took a few shots at home just to familiarise with the slightly differently located controls & found it to be back focussing somewhat.
i tried a few lens' & they were all better at -20 using fine tuning but not spot on. :thinking:
as it seems to be an issue using multiple lenses i guess i should look at sending it somewhere for recalibrating :thinking:

wow i kinda thought it had been a while. sat in a bag for 2 years!

Finally took it into Nikon to have this looked at a few weeks ago. 2 years! :oops: :$
should take it out & see if its actually any better i guess :thinking:

A bit of an embarrassing one, and not specifically D4 based but D5!
I'm used to a D3s from a past life and just gone back to Nikon with a pair of D5's
The embarrassing bit is that I can't for the life of me see how to activate / set up"Continuous Auto Focus Tracking"...3D or otherwise.
I''ve spent two days watching Youtube and what have you all to no avail...I'm sure it's something simple. I even waited 'till my second body arrived in case it was a fault of some sort but they're both the same!

PLEASE HELP! :thinking:

A bit of an embarrassing one, and not specifically D4 based but D5!
I'm used to a D3s from a past life and just gone back to Nikon with a pair of D5's
The embarrassing bit is that I can't for the life of me see how to activate / set up"Continuous Auto Focus Tracking"...3D or otherwise.
I''ve spent two days watching Youtube and what have you all to no avail...I'm sure it's something simple. I even waited 'till my second body arrived in case it was a fault of some sort but they're both the same!

PLEASE HELP! :thinking:
On the d4 you hold in the af mode button on the side of the camera that allows you to change from afs to afc and then you use press the mode button on top and cycle through the various tracking modes with the command wheel on the back.

Last edited:
Thanks for the speedy reply.
Yes I'm on AF-C If I then press the Mode button and rotate the rear comand dial it just scrolls me through the various exposure modes...A,M,P&S
I've been through the various menu's looking for something obvious and that both cameras are set up the same. I suspect (with no grounds whatsoever!) it's something in the menu settings.

Edit. The continuous focus functions are working fine.

Last edited:
I have had a look at the manual on page 105, it states you press the AF Mode button in and use the control wheel closest to the on off button to select.

Last edited:
I have had a look at the manual on page 105, it states you press the AF Mode button in and use the control wheel closest to the on off button to select.
You sir, are a genius. Of the 64,000 Youtube videos I watched not one mentioned that! Don't go away, I'm coming round to give you a big old manhug! :banana:

Last edited:
You sir, are a genius. Of the 64,000 Youtube videos I mentioned not one mentioned that!Don't go awat, I'm coming round to give you a big old manhug! :banana:
Your welcome .. virtual manhug received glad it is all sorted :)

Back