Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if i can ask some advise,

i thought i had secured a new nikon d40 for cheap cheap but it didnt work out,

i am not faced with paying £279 for a new nikon or 379 for a D60

Is the extra £100 worth the extra mega pixels and the VR lens and the other internal gubbins,

i am just starting out and maybe will buy a 55-200mm lens for extra zoom later in the year but at the mo i am just looking for a decent camera to take abroad with me in a week or so,

i just dont want a camera thats going to be out of date by a long shot in 12 months,

hence me leaning more to the Nikon D60 but im unsure??? help!!!!!

Hi Bobjim and welcome

They are both good cameras but the D60 is obviously the newer so a bit more future proof (although things change that quickly its not by much more). Have you thought about other makes? I think the Sony A200 with 18-70mm lens is £260 at Argos. I also believe that Canon make cameras although I don't know if they are any good. ;)

Andy

The D40 is a excellent camera that is basically the D60 with less features. To be honest I cannot see any DSLR camera going out of date so long as you have shutter, aperture and ISO control. They only add extra features like live view or in camera editing and so on. The next milestone that will put the current DSLR's out of date is going full-frame, which has already started but is far too expensive right now and probably will not be within our price range for some years. Unless you will be doing A3 prints I would save yourself some money and buy a D40.

I'm selling my D40 kit if you are still on the lookout?

shameless plugs ruining my beautiful thread, lol

have looked at cannon and sony but the nikon just clicked i seem to get on better with the menus etc etc
the argos d40 is out of stock in all branches and i dont think there are having any more in,

pm's sent to voodoochild and ted

Unless you will be doing A3 prints I would save yourself some money and buy a D40.

The 6.1MP of the D40 should produce pretty good A3 prints - the same size sensor in the D70 does!

FWIW, I'm not sure that VR is as much use on shorter lenses like the 18-55 range as it is on longer lenses and certainly wouldn't sway me to pay the extra.

The D60 is certainly a better specified body than the D40 but whether it's worth the extra over the D40 is up to you and your wallet. Bear in mind that you may well want to upgrade whichever you get in the next year or two anyway.

Do think about if you are lightly to want to buy more lenses in the future because they are quite a lot more pricey if you want to keep the autofocus. The D40 & D60 fall into this catagory.

i had a d40 and my sister now has a d60
to be honest with the kit lens i don't see much difference

both are great to begin with and both have options to build lenses on, although maybe limited or more expensive

Having borrowed a friend's D40 and having bought myself a D60 I would say try and find a nice condition D40 body 2nd hand and then source a 18-70mm DX lens. It'll give you a little more sharpness and manual control of focus even in AF mode. I've just bought one for less than £100, boxed with hood etc.

There really isn't a great deal of change from the D40 to the D60 aside from a few mega pixels, active D lighting and the fact that the screen will turn off when you look through the viewfinder. I believe the better lens will have more of an impact than a move from a D40 to a D60.

Whatever, enjoy. (y)

that's a good option to d40 with a better lens

having read from the other threads, people rate the 18-70

I've currently got both and they are both great cameras. only had the D60(bought 2nd hand on here) for a week so not had to chance to really use it in anger yet but, On the surface there isn't much in it so I'd say save you cash, pick up a 2nd hand D40 and a good quality lens - it will do you proud :)

I chose to get the d40 over the d60 and do not regret it all - its a lovely camera and 6MP is more than enough for me. I'd rather spend the saving on extra lens (nifty fifty) and some equipment.

When I do think I need a better camera I'd look at a D90 which has the extra features I'd really want (such as focus motor).

I would say get the d60 IMHO. But it is another £120. However if I was spending that money I would get a better second hand camera like canon 400d.

I think a D40 is enough.
What you can do is to get a decant lens. with the extra money

P.S. I have a 18-105mm VR for sale if you are interested.

D40 is good...does what it says on the tin, a cheap and cheerful DSLR, D60 is more expensive and i think not as good value

D40 is good...does what it says on the tin, a cheap and cheerful DSLR, D60 is more expensive and i think not as good value

Yea I used a D60 before.
The extra functions are good but I didn't use it at all.
Wasted some money to sell it and upgrade to D90

Back