Nikon D40 - Rattle?

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a Nikon D40 from someone on Talkphotography. I noticed that when I rotate the camera, or turn it upside down, there is a rattle coming from it as if something has broken off inside. It sounds like it's moving around inside the camera :thinking:

I have no idea what this is, or could be. Any ideas? As long as it's not affecting the camera in any way, I'm not too bothered about it.

Cheers,
Steven

not sure if its the same but on my 350d where the flash pops up there are 2 metal bits that rattle, if so just pop the flash and hold them see if it stops .

a D80 does the same , apparently from what i've been told in the camera there is a ball bearing in a tube that detects the orientation from portrait to landscape format.:shrug:

not sure if its the same but on my 350d where the flash pops up there are 2 metal bits that rattle, if so just pop the flash and hold them see if it stops .

I just popped up the flash on my D80 and it makes a rather loud rattling sound, i think this may be the problem steven. I probably never noticed it before as most of the time i had the SB600 on top, or was using the camera outside where it would of been hard to hear.

(i sold the D40 to steven btw)

Edit: It rattles regardless if the flash is up or down! :p

a D80 does the same , apparently from what i've been told in the camera there is a ball bearing in a tube that detects the orientation from portrait to landscape format.:shrug:

If that is true, that could be the problem. It sounds exactly like a ball bearing loose inside the camera. Can anyone clarify this? If it's true, it would be a big relief.

I just popped up the flash on my D80 and it makes a rather loud rattling sound, i think this may be the problem steven. I probably never noticed it before as most of the time i had the SB600 on top, or was using the camera outside where it would of been hard to hear.

(i sold the D40 to steven btw)

Edit: It rattles regardless if the flash is up or down! :p

I'm 90% sure it has nothing to do with the flash, what daftbugga said sounds spot on.

I'm 90% sure it has nothing to do with the flash, what daftbugga said sounds spot on.

Yeah i noticed i was shaking it forwards and backwards when the flash was down (no sound). But when i had the flash up i was shaking it side to side, which made the ball bearing move :p

My D80 does the same, just checked, so sounds normal to me.

Maybe we should delete this thread before the canon boys say all our cameras are broken :thinking: :LOL:

Too late, they have already had a bash on IRC when i was asking what the problem could be! :LOL::p:p

Lol.

My old D50 did exactly the same, as does my current D80. It did worry me a bit but now my mind is at rest. Although what DaftBugga said; that's intelligent! I wondered why portrait photos always still appear upright on the LCD. It's actually quite annoying lol.

Lol.

My old D50 did exactly the same, as does my current D80. It did worry me a bit but now my mind is at rest. Although what DaftBugga said; that's intelligent! I wondered why portrait photos always still appear upright on the LCD. It's actually quite annoying lol.

You can turn off auto rotation at the bottom of the Setup menu :p

My old D50 did exactly the same, as does my current D80. It did worry me a bit but now my mind is at rest. Although what DaftBugga said; that's intelligent! I wondered why portrait photos always still appear upright on the LCD.
Likewise. I guessed it was something to do with the photo orientation, as when I took the camera back to the shop about it, they said all the others in stock did the same!!

Ive just taken delivery of my brand new Nikon D40x and its making rattling noise should i be worried, new to digi slr world, when i played with one in stored im sure it never made rattling noise.

Can anyone shed some light on it why some do and some dont.

I dont wanna contact the seller and say i want refund for nothin LOL

Thanks
Nad

Well, my brand new D40x doesn't rattle so I don't what is going on with yours. Could it be the flash or is it something internally? Chances are though, if it works fine then it's probably nothing to worry about but that's up to you to decide.

Canon 40D Manual - Page 175 :)

It's the pop up flash mechanism and is normal if you shake the camera. I suppose the Nikon issue is the same.

and it IS a nikon lol..... put together by the local tramps who arfe being paid in cheap white cider, and leftovers from macdonalds

Its fine, its the orientation thingy, my D40 did it and also the D200 does it. Its nothing to be worried about :)

Im pretty sure its not he flash its somethin internal, i removed the lens to see if i could see anything but no chance in there.

Its definatly coming from inside the camera. It takes pics fine, im just worried long term if it will cause issues, as i dont intend on buying digi camera for few years now. lol

THanks

Nad

Just bought a D300 and I have the exact same rattle noise. Camera rattles when you tilt the camera backwards and forwards with the flash down and goes away when the flash is up. In my humble opinion, I believe it is the two metal brackets that guide the flash up and down. When the flash is up, the brackets are pulled tight so they don't rattle. Just lower the flash half-way down and in my camera, you can move the brackets slightly causing the rattle noise. I stopped by a local photo store and tried another D300 with the exact same results. I called Nikon who said there shouldn't be any noise and advised me to return in.

Back