Nikon D40

Name
Michael George
Edit My Images
Yes
Just to say that I am really pleased with my D40. I love the way it handles, the control positions and the results. I only use Program or Auto at the moment and Aperture priority
but am enjoying learning , albeit slowly, how to exploit it's many features. It may be called entry level but anything else would be wasted on me. I only take photographs for my own pleasure, not to make money, but already my relatives and friends are saying how nice the pictures are. A very good camera.

Glad to hear your happy with your purchase. the D40 is an excellent and very competent camera. (Ive got a D40X and my girlfriend has a D40) Even if you do progress into the world of making money ffrom photography, the D40 is still more than up to it. :)

Took quite a nice photo on Auto at half a mile with my Nikon 55-200 , of a farm amid autumn trees. I was amazed at how well it enlarged. It's all relative I suppose, like , to me it would seem good but with a better lens etc it would perhaps be stupendous. Wonderful age we live in.

there's nothing wrong with the auto mode per se, it just doesn't offer you any creative control over the camera, and it will struggle in a lot of conditions, like low light, it just slows the shutter speed down if I remember correctly, whereas with Manual mode, or P & S modes, you can increase the aperture or shutter speed yourself, offering you the control.

Having just read that back, does that make any sense :LOL:

I love the D40x image quality.. its such a shame it doesn't have bracketing and more focus points but you can easily focus using center spot and adjust, or just manually focus - it's not that hard really.

I upgraded to a D80 and in many ways I still miss the IQ of the D40x.

It's a wonderful camera. I tend to stick with aperture priority to control the depth of field and sharpness and have got some of my best shots with it.

Yes, thanks Matt,it's very interesting . I've forgotten a lot about aperatures and depth of field etc since going on to auto cameras. I used to get much enjoyment, (even if the results were poor!) from using my first cameras such as Lubitel, Zenith and Fed. I thought range finder cameras were really advanced! Great hobby isn't it?

i still need to learn more on my d40 apart from auto

I think the newer sensor gives better results with higher ISO's. My D80 performs comparably to others I've seen so assume the D40 sensor is better in this respect unless I had a randomly extremely good one, but I doubt that.

I still prefer my D80 though and wouldn't go back.

The d40x uses the same sensor as the D80 (OT but the alpha 100 too) which is the 2 channel sensor capable of 3fps. The D200 does how ever use a different sony sensor which is 4 channel.

Is that so? There is a certain difference that I can see and the megapixel count is different so I'm surprised to read that. Got any links to info on it? I'm only talking from the experience of what I've seen.

I use the D40 at the mo. Cant rally fault it, only thing is that I wish it had the same sensor as the D80 so ISO could start at 100 instead of 200 and I wish there were more AF points and maybe AEB. Apart from that, I love it. My 50mm f/1.8 just came today :D

The D40 base ISO of 200 is meant to be as good as the D40x base ISO of 100 anyway according to Ken Rockwell... for this reason he says its better as it's faster.

"...the D40x' ISO range starts at ISO 100, not ISO 200 as the D40. The "wider range of ISOs" touted as a feature is actually a downgrade: the D40 didn't need to go slower than ISO 200 for great results, and at ISO 100 the D40x is more likely to have more blur or shallower depth of field."

I guess its a compromise of sorts still depending on what you want, but most people want speed I think.

Learn somehing new everyday eh!

Ive got a bunch of images in my flickr account in my sig below if you want to have a nosey at some D40 images :D

Back