Nikon D5 and D500 dynamic autofocus modes are BROKEN!

sk66

Advertiser
Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
OK, perhaps broken is a bit exaggerated. But I figured I would start a new thread with my latest findings as an advisory to those considering buying a D5/D500, or are confused by their results with dynamic modes.

The new system is much faster and has many more AF points spaced much closer together... that's accepted and should be a bonus. And IMO it is in many/most situations.

Through much testing I have found the primary difference between the D5/D500 and earlier cameras when in a dynamic mode (d9-d153).
When in a dynamic mode earlier cameras track in "blocked shot mode" and the new cameras track in "distance change mode." The "focus tracking with lock on" setting has always been described as a setting for "blocked shots" based on "change in distance," but the cameras are addressing those two aspects completely differently (even though the delay setting is still called "blocked shot").

Earlier cameras will *not* shift to a more distant focus unless focus is lost (i.e. d51 w/ delay off). But they will shift to a nearer focus dependent on the delay setting (which goes from off to quite long). Exactly what you would expect/want for "blocked shots."

The D5/D500 will shift to both a nearer AND a more distant focus, also dependent on the delay setting (which goes from short to really-really short). This means the D5/D500 will happily jump to the BG if it reasonably can... and the system is so good/fast that it often can. This one difference makes the D5/D500 dynamic modes MUCH worse in very demanding situations like small/fast birds in flight... exactly the situations where we depended on it to make up for other shortfalls.

Everything else I have found/identified/verified seems to be "the same," only faster/better.
And luckily auto and 3d modes have been greatly improved over previous models; they can be used in difficult situations with good results (and w/ their own limitations).

I have been in discussion with Nikon and they have been testing/verifying my findings. Supposedly my findings/concerns are being passed to the Nikon D5 expert... I made a recommendation of a firmware fix that adds an option called "limit focus shift" or "blocked shot mode" as the new behavior can potentially be beneficial in situations where the subject is large in the FOV. I emphasized the benefit of the traditional "blocked shot" behavior for wildlife photographers shooting demanding subjects, and that wildlife photographers are a huge portion of the consumers purchasing the D5/D500. Even if they do listen, I wouldn't expect a change anytime soon.

Another point to note is that the D5/D500 will not currently display the focus point used while in d9-d153 upon image review.

It's OK, I don't use dynamic modes ;)

@sk66 as you are in conversation with Nikon would you mind passing on another preference for AF if it's no trouble please (unless the D5/D500 has addressed this already)? I would like 3D tracking to stay on the faces of people. So far my experience is that if you get initial acquisition on the head/face it quickly moves onto the torso, which is OK is most situations but when shooting with f2.8 telephotos it can mean that the face isn't sharp if the subject is close.

Steven, just slightly OT

as you know I mainly take birds and for such I ALWAYS use single cell spot focus - I find no other method gets a "sharpe" eye/head image

am I correct? - I use a D810 and D750

It's OK, I don't use dynamic modes ;)

@sk66 as you are in conversation with Nikon would you mind passing on another preference for AF if it's no trouble please (unless the D5/D500 has addressed this already)? I would like 3D tracking to stay on the faces of people. So far my experience is that if you get initial acquisition on the head/face it quickly moves onto the torso, which is OK is most situations but when shooting with f2.8 telephotos it can mean that the face isn't sharp if the subject is close.
I took care of that for you. ;)
The D5/D500 now have an option for face tracking in 3D... I haven't used it yet.

Last edited:
Steven, just slightly OT

as you know I mainly take birds and for such I ALWAYS use single cell spot focus - I find no other method gets a "sharpe" eye/head image

am I correct? - I use a D810 and D750
The (my) general rule is that you should use as few focus points as you can reliably keep on subject/target. If it's basically stationary then single point would be suitable. If it's moving but easy to track, maybe group or d9. If it's faster/harder to track expand the area (earlier cameras) or try 3D/auto.

I was never a proponent of 3D or auto before, but with the D5/D500 they are much improved. And since d9-d153 are "broken," they may be a better option. And it's worth noting that d9 is essentially the same as group mode, but even smaller/tighter.

Last edited:
I took care of that for you. ;)
The D5/D500 now have an option for face tracking in 3D... I haven't used it yet.
Ahh cool (y)

I tend to use Group with the button option for Single-point ... I've never had confidence in 3D in any other camera body, maybe I'll give it a try on the D500 but I anticipate seeing the focus point flick anywhere except on the bird!

I tend to use Group with the button option for Single-point ... I've never had confidence in 3D in any other camera body, maybe I'll give it a try on the D500 but I anticipate seeing the focus point flick anywhere except on the bird!
Not sure I'd trust 3D for something as small and erratic as BIF tbh.

The (my) general rule is that you should use as few focus points as you can reliably keep on subject/target. If it's basically stationary then single point would be suitable. If it's moving but easy to track, maybe group or d9. If it's faster/harder to track expand the area (earlier cameras) or try 3D/auto.

I was never a proponent of 3D or auto before, but with the D5/D500 they are much improved. And since d9-d153 are "broken," they may be a better option. And it's worth noting that d9 is essentially the same as group mode, but even smaller/tighter.

Thanks Steven - what I find is if I try to change the number of focus points for BIF's, say to nine - in the couple of seconds that it taken to change I have lost the birds, that's why I stick to single point, unless of course they are around for sometime

Thanks Steven - what I find is if I try to change the number of focus points for BIF's, say to nine - in the couple of seconds that it taken to change I have lost the birds, that's why I stick to single point, unless of course they are around for sometime
You could assign another button to swap focus to another area/mode...

Back