Beginner Nikon D50... good for beginner?

Edit My Images
Yes
I haven't used an SLR before but have inherited an old Nikon D50 from a relative. Is this still a decent camera if I was thinking of doing a beginners course at my local adult education centre? I don't know much in terms of photography tech but I did notice it's only 6 megapixels which seems a lot less than some of the entry level SLRs I've seen.

Yep it'll be absolutely fine for a beginner’s course, have fun!

Its not a decent camera in 2023 terms but it has all the functionality required to learn all about exposure and composition

Last edited by a moderator:
It's fine. Don't get too hung up on the megapixel count, which is largely just marketing hype. 20 years ago, 6mp was top professional standard!

Yes, you'll want to upgrade at some point in the future, but it will be a good starting point.

There's a lot more to photography than having a lot of megapixels, so enjoy your camera, enjoy taking photos, and see where it all takes you.

I started taking photos over 60 years ago and got my first SLR over 50 years ago. I got my first digital camera about 25 years ago and my first DSLR 15 years ago. It is a 6MP nikon D40 and I still have it as my main camera. There are lots of things that it won't do but I can get around most of those and there are a lot more things it can do.
Enjoy the D50.

It was a great starter camera when it was first introduced and is still fine. Yes, newer versions will be "better" (more MP, faster AF etc.) but the D50 will still take decent pictures.

The D50 was my first DSLR and what got me hooked. It took really nice photos and was a great learning tool.

Absolutnie! Nikon D50 to solidny wybór dla początkujących. Jest przyjazny dla użytkownika, oferuje dobrą jakość obrazu i stanowi doskonałe wprowadzenie do fotografowania lustrzankami cyfrowymi. Miłego strzelania!
This is an English speaking forum please post in English.
Thank you.

Looks like it’s spam

I started out with a Kodak 2 megapixels digital camera having previuoisly use a film camera. in that worked ok
unedited 2 meg photo. Only issue is picture size when blown up bigger as below

Picture 074.jpg
Warwick Castle

Looks like it’s spam
Yep the recent added signature confirms it.
Unless of course anyone was looking for a new kitchen or bathroom?

Cobra, tell my wife that , her droning on in jibberish no one understands. What is worse when we don't understand the volume and pitch increases. :ROFLMAO: only joking of course

Back