nikon d50 help flash stopped working

Name
danny ruddock
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi There i'm looking for some help

not really used my camera since xmas time and was taking some shots last night in the house and my on board flash wont fire had a look at the setting but everything looks fine(i even reset the camera) it pops up but not firing it has worked before and i take real good care of it so i know it has not been dropped or tampered wit the red eye pre flash works fine.

i dont use the built in flash that often as i have a speedlight but i was planning on selling it at the end of the month and was wanting it fixed before then as i have my eye on a new nikon d3100 but dont want to give my speedlight away with it as it cost me a lot.

local camera shop says its a cheap fix

any ideas would be great

Last edited:
It's worth contacting Nikon yourself to see if it's cheaper than going through the dealer as he may be adding a bit to cover handling, etc. We certainly do albeit we're not a camera shop.

I would strongly recommend not trying to do this yourself as the innards of DSLRs are not user-friendly.

Last edited:
If you do try the fix shown in the video, be aware that removing the battery is a good idea, but it won't stop you getting zapped if you touch the wrong bits. The flash electronics charge a capacitor to around 350-400 Volts and this charge stays put even if the battery is removed. It will slowly leak away, but if the fault is in the firing rather than the charging side of the flash, it will be waiting to make you leap across the room, surprising yourself with your vocabulary ;)

might give the video a try thanks for the advice and the video

Back