Nikon D500 Continuous High Speed Mode

Name
Mervyn
Edit My Images
Yes
Was shooting an Airshow at the weekend with my D500 with the new 80-400 VR lens. Camera set to high quality images. SD card Lexar Professional 32GB 1000x 150MB/s
Shooting stuttered after bursts of 3-4 shots for some reason. Why would that be? Buffering? Write speed not high enough?
Merv

Were you on continuos Focus or single point? Was camera focus hunting

Should be high enough

If you were shooting in AF-C mode then the burst rate could be affected if you have the focus priority set to 'focus' rather than 'release'.

Is it still doing it,if so check one card at a time for problems, my money though is on focus priority and the focus not being locked on.

Bracketing not switched on ?

if the D500 is 20MPx that can be anything up to 45Mb so in theory yes could max out after 4

I thought the buffer was huge in the d500

if the D500 is 20MPx that can be anything up to 45Mb so in theory yes could max out after 4

No that sort of file size should not matter to the D500

On my Nikon D7200 just experimenting I got
Using two cards, writing a full size quality raw+JPG on both cards (second card acting as back up)

Using 1 x sandisk extreme pro 64GB 95MB/s read speed (whatever is the write speed) + the same Extreme model 60MB/s = approx. 9 frames
Using 2 x sandisk extreme pro = approx +2 or 3 frames
before the buffer was full.

Just checked my D500 i got 31 shots before it coughed but it still kept going.

Just checked my D500 i got 31 shots before it coughed but it still kept going.
Surely that can't be right at all, I thought the D500 had a RAW buffer of around 200 files?
It's supposed to be a speed demon :D

That is the claimed size by Nikon but it was proved otherwise soon after release apparently

If you were shooting in AF-C mode then the burst rate could be affected if you have the focus priority set to 'focus' rather than 'release'.

I think it will be this. D500 has a 29 shot buffer on 14 bit RAW before the card speed adds to what can be done. Try a focus ix on stationary object from tripod and see how many you get then (or just check release menu)

Basic low quality jpeg! It won't be RAW top quality

200 in jpeg if you're using the fastest XQD card!
I guess its not only Nikon who market like this, my Sony A9's buffer will do around 240 RAW files but only in Lossless Compressed. :D

I have a 95mbs sandisk sdcard and in raw I've never had it stutter I don't machine gun but have to test and it just never stopped sounds like a wrong setting or duff card

That is the claimed size by Nikon but it was proved otherwise soon after release apparently
I never saw that, care to share a link! :)
I think it will be this. D500 has a 29 shot buffer on 14 bit RAW before the card speed adds to what can be done. Try a focus ix on stationary object from tripod and see how many you get then (or just check release menu)
I use Lossless Compressed 12 bit and haven't hit the buffer yet during normal picture taking of Cricket and Football, but I do have the fastest XQD and SD cards. ;)

I've just done a test with an old 4GB 20MB/s (read / write?) and got 42 RAW, Lossless Compressed files before the camera stuttered. :)

I think this could have something to do with it, maybe added to a slow card and maybe in 14 bit mode. Combinations of those three may affect the burst rate. Though a slow card, unless really slow, (slower than 20MB/s) should not have too much of an effect until 10's of images have been taken.

Or it could be broken though. Always an option sadly. :( :LOL:

Last edited:
As above D500 needs XQD for 200, with SD I get around 30 to 50 ish...

Have you looked at this? Try switching to manual focus and just hold the shutter release down to see if it runs off frames as it should. I had this once with my D300 and a lens which was haphazard in acquiring focus.

Back