Nikon D500 - poor battery life, even with Li-Ion20 batteries!

Hi Jason,

Just verified the status od the D500 battery = shows 37% of charge - I put it in my old D7000 and now shows 53% of charge.
So in my 7000 the new battery (20) has +16% more charge?

I do not know the date of fabrication, because is hidden under the metal plate that I attached for tripod-use.

Please keep me informed about your progress - after that I also will "attack" the NIKON-EUROPEAN guys to find a solution for my D500-body.

I find the batteries last longer if i dont use some of the features like live view and wifi.
I never use Liveview and the wifi (Snapbridge) is such a poor App it just isn't worth bothering with, so I dont, it's Airplane Mode on permanently ... still no difference.
As it's been over 40 days with Nikon and over a week allegedly fixing it, hopefully some day I will be able to get back to using it!

I never use Liveview and the wifi (Snapbridge) is such a poor App it just isn't worth bothering with, so I dont, it's Airplane Mode on permanently ... still no difference.
As it's been over 40 days with Nikon and over a week allegedly fixing it, hopefully some day I will be able to get back to using it!

Tried calling them? When my 750 was in I kept calling them everyday and suddenly it was ready to come back

Well finally after another telephone call today, I've just had a call back to say that my camera has been repaired and is now going through 'Quality Control' and should be back with me in 24-48 hours ... we shall see!

D500 returned repaired this morning, yet to be able to test it.

Well haven't been out with the camera yet due to man-flu ( :D ) but it's been back now over 24 hours and there has been no battery leakage with it left off, so it looks as though whatever has been done may well have fixed the problem ... it'll be Monday before I get the opportunity to test how it performs 'in the field'.

Well haven't been out with the camera yet due to man-flu ( :D ) but it's been back now over 24 hours and there has been no battery leakage with it left off, so it looks as though whatever has been done may well have fixed the problem ... it'll be Monday before I get the opportunity to test how it performs 'in the field'.
Scary stuff that man flu - get well soon. Glad the camera is back and appears fixed.

Got mine back today after exactly one month (September 11th - October 11th). Turns out Wex didn't send it off to Nikon, instead they sent it to a third-party Nikon approved RMA service called 'Fixation' down in London. Fixation said they didn't find any issues, but we all know a lot of RMA services say this.

I've put the two batteries on charge but not terribly convinced given that I put one of the batteries in and it was reading 90% charge left after just 13 shots. :(

I'm charging both batteries with genuine Nikon MH-25a chargers rather than my exPro EN-EL15 double charger to get the fairest result.

Last edited:
Got mine back today after exactly one month (September 11th - October 11th). Turns out Wex didn't send it off to Nikon, instead they sent it to a third-party Nikon approved RMA service called 'Fixation' down in London. Fixation said they didn't find any issues, but we all know a lot of RMA services say this.

I've put the two batteries on charge but not terribly convinced given that I put one of the batteries in and it was reading 90% charge left after just 13 shots. :(

You might be interested to know that WEX own Fixation :)

You might be interested to know that WEX own Fixation :)
That could be why they use them then.

Glad to hear yours is fixed - waiting for my batteries to fully charge and then I'll give mine a whirl! :D

If it's still poor I'll probably request a replacement body.

Just charged up both batteries and camera is reading 100% for both batteries - let's see if there's any been leakage when I check in the morning!

No battery leak on mine it seems - camera is reading 100% still after about 10 hours of being switched off. I'm not sure if the battery was leaking originally or not, but I guess this is a good sign. Looking forward to taking the camera out on Friday and giving it a good test to see what kind of performance I get.

Will be odd if they "found no issues" and it's cured. :)

yours as well........how long did it take to do a repair?
Absolutely for mine, over 40 days ... but Jason's was done 'in-house' by Wex/Fixation and therefore didn't involve Nikon ... which is a pity because Nikon needs to be made aware of this issue faced by a significant number of users.

Will be odd if they "found no issues" and it's cured. :)
I've heard some RMA services say this and actually the problem has been fixed - look in that other forum thread I posted on the first page.

I've always assumed they just bill Nikon for the work so surely they're aware whichever way it goes?
Maybe, I don't know ... if it will actually come to someone's attention rather than just 'going through the accounts' that will be great. :)

Not looked at mine for this before,just checked today after 4 days none use and my battery is down to 94%, i didnt have airplane mode on but i have now so will check it again in 4 days if i dont get any shooting in.

Two days later and its down to 92% with airplane mode on,looks like its losing at least 2% per day, guess that will increase as the battery drops, is this in keeping with others or am i being picky.

Two days later and its down to 92% with airplane mode on,looks like its losing at least 2% per day, guess that will increase as the battery drops, is this in keeping with others or am i being picky.

That's what I was finding but the real killer was shots per charge ... Nikon says approx 1240 shots per charge and I was getting 500-600.
What are you getting?

That's what I was finding but the real killer was shots per charge ... Nikon says approx 1240 shots per charge and I was getting 500-600.
What are you getting?
Not checked that as i only have one battery so cant risk it running out.

It was at 92% last night and with airplane mode on its still at 92% this morning, will do more tests but that is better.

Not checked that as i only have one battery so cant risk it running out.
But you can do a guestimate e.g. you take 300 shots and battery shows 25% remaining, so anticipated capacity of 400 shots.

Hi Gramps,
How many shots can you make now after the "fix" ?
Mine is only able to take 350 - 400 with 1 charge. I am waiting results of this forum to do my complaint at Nikon's.

My battery is showing 42% after 542 shots so that's around 935 which is ok as I've only charged the battery once.

Do you take 1 photo - then camera off. Then another few photo's and camera off.
Or do you do bursts of many shots.

I take my phptp's 1 by 1 (never bursts) - perhaps that is the raison why I am only getting 350 to 400 on 1 batterie ?

It depends what I’m taking - sometimes it individual and sometimes bursts. If I’m not interested in what’s coming next ( in terms of motorsport ), I turn the camera off

But you can do a guestimate e.g. you take 300 shots and battery shows 25% remaining, so anticipated capacity of 400 shots.

Been out this morning with 92% came back with 140 shots and had 87% so i dont think i will have a problem if i leave airplane mode on.

Been out this morning with 92% came back with 140 shots and had 87% so i dont think i will have a problem if i leave airplane mode on.
Out of interest are you using an XQD card and if so which manufacturer?
Also what is your standby time?

Ime using a Lexar 32gb 440mbs 2933x with a sandisk extreme pro 95mbs, XQD assigned as back up, ok being thick here what do you mean by stand by time, if you mean how long does the shutter speed ect stay visible after the shot ( is that information display?) then thats on auto and i have never checked but its only maybe 5 seconds.
I switch the camera on when i arrive at the lake and it stays on for between two and three hours, I use VR most of the time and do do a bit of image checking on the LCD.

Ime using a Lexar 32gb 440mbs 2933x with a sandisk extreme pro 95mbs, XQD assigned as back up, ok being thick here what do you mean by stand by time, if you mean how long does the shutter speed ect stay visible after the shot ( is that information display?) then thats on auto and i have never checked but its only maybe 5 seconds.
I switch the camera on when i arrive at the lake and it stays on for between two and three hours, I use VR most of the time and do do a bit of image checking on the LCD.

Custom Settings Menu > C2 should show how long your standby timer is set for e.g. 10 secs

Back