Nikon D500 & SB700 Godox trigger

Name
Jamesev
Edit My Images
No
As the d500 has no popup flash it can’t be used as an off camera flash trigger for an sb700. What combo of Godox triggers do I need that ensures I-ttl control of the 700 by the 500 please?

A Godox trigger will trigger a Godox unit; speedlight or strobe (obviously), it will then be this flash that will trigger your SB700 as a slave optically. I'm pretty certain you won't be able to use the SB700 in TTL mode in this way - it will have to be manual. In the unlikely event that I'm wrong about this, then I'm sure someone else will put me right soon enough. ;)

I use the Godox XPro for my all my Godox speedlights and strobes - it's a great tool.

Last edited:
I use a godox xpro n on camera with godox xt1r on my sb800 and that works well.

Last edited:
A Godox trigger will trigger a Godox unit; speedlight or strobe (obviously), it will then be this flash that will trigger your SB700 as a slave optically. I'm pretty certain you won't be able to use the SB700 in TTL mode in this way - it will have to be manual. In the unlikely event that I'm wrong about this, then I'm sure someone else will put me right soon enough. ;)

I use the Godox XPro for my all my Godox speedlights and strobes - it's a great tool.
dont Godox produce trigger systems specific for other flash brands and name them accordingly N/C/S?

Yes, they do but they use radio only, not optical control. But they do a receiver that will give TTL control of your SB700. So you need your choice of X1T-N, X2T-N or XPro-N (in ascending order of desirability) and an X1R-N for the SB700 to sit on - as sep9001 said yesterday. You can then add almost any Godox flash without worrying about what dedication it has.

The other option is to use one of the larger Godox flashes on the camera such as the TT685N as this will give optical TTL control of your SB700. At least it does for Sony. I leave confirming it works for Nikon as an exercise for the student....

Last edited:
Is there much difference between the x1t-n and the x2t-n apart from price. What does the 2 do that the 1 doesn’t?

is the XproN the bit that sits on the camera and the X1T and X2T for the flash unit?

Last edited:
Hi

They are all triggers that sit on the camera, xpro is for adjusting the settings on the flash.

For the flash units you need x1rn for Nikon.

I believe the difference between x1tn and 2 is that 2 has bluetooth so you could adjust the setting from your phone via Bluetooth.

The X2T-N is the same size and shape as the X1T-N but has a load more buttons and a wheel so it's more like the XPro-N to use.

Yes, receivers makes more sense. Robert could be your mother's brother, of course.

Prob the best way of TTL triggering your SB700 direct from your D500 is a Debao SU800 Wireless Speedlight Commander Flash Trigger Transmitter for Nikon. It’s a knock off of Nikon’s SU-800 and way cheaper. Google for reviews and sources.

Back