Nikon D500 With Nikon 24-70 2.8 vr

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
I have in my small collection Nikon 500pf 300pf 70-200 f4. I am looking for an everyday lens which I can also use for dog photography/portrait. Would this combination work. If not any recommendations.

Your camera is a crop sensor one so a 24-70 would come out equivalent to a 35 to 105mm. It would be pretty good for portraits and most photography but not so good for wide angle stuff like buildings. You won't get the same extreme boke effects with it on a crop sensor, but you might not care if that isn't your thing. The 24-70 f/2.8 full frame lenses are big.

You might find a Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 or Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 would be a bit more versatile, a lot lighter and a quarter of the price used. They are both designed for DX cameras so you are not paying for lenses you can't fully use. It would give you the equivalent range to a 24-70 on a full frame, which is the standard range but the aperture would be equivalent to a f/4 in terms of depth of field.

Last edited:
Your camera is a crop sensor one so a 24-70 would come out equivalent to a 35 to 105mm. It would be pretty good for portraits and most photography but not so good for wide angle stuff like buildings. You won't get the same extreme boke effects with it on a crop sensor, but you might not care if that isn't your thing. The 24-70 f/2.8 full frame lenses are big.

You might find a Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 or Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 would be a bit more versatile, a lot lighter and a quarter of the price used. They are both designed for DX cameras so you are not paying for lenses you can't fully use. It would give you the equivalent range to a 24-70 on a full frame, which is the standard range but the aperture would be equivalent to a f/4 in terms of depth of field.
Thanks for the advice

I'd either look at the 17-55mm f/2.8 zoom, a 35mm f/1.8 or 50mm f/1.8 prime.

Nikon did a really nice 35mm f/1.8 DX lens which was sharp wide open and delivered excellent IQ. The 50mm is also an option as it's fairly cheap for a prime and versatile - easily the best value for money lens I've ever bought, but might be too close to 70mm which you already have covered. I'd personally stay clear of the Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 (especially if it's the older G type non VR lens) as it's very bulky, heavy, suffers from considerable CA with purple fringing off centre and is only sharp in the centre area of the frame. To avoid the CA you really need to step down the aperture and this lens is bang average at the short and long focal lengths and optimal at 50mm

I personally found a small light fixed prime like 35mm or 50mm much better in all aspects. If you're using a crop body I'd go for the 35mm or 50mm prime, they're cheaper, sharper, lighter and just overall better. There's currently 2 second hand Nikon 35mm f/1.8g AF-S lenses on Wex website right now for £76 & £80, 2 second hand 50mm f/1.8g primes for £81 & £85, whereas with the 24-70mm f/2.8g I'm seeing prices between £350-£500. Maybe get both the 35mm and 50mm and you'll still save at least £200 over the 24-70mm.

Last edited:
I'd either look at the 17-55mm f/2.8 zoom, a 35mm f/1.8 or 50mm f/1.8 prime.

Nikon did a really nice 35mm f/1.8 DX lens which was sharp wide open and delivered excellent IQ. The 50mm is also an option as it's fairly cheap for a prime and versatile - easily the best value for money lens I've ever bought, but might be too close to 70mm which you already have covered. I'd personally stay clear of the Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 (especially if it's the older G type non VR lens) as it's very bulky, heavy, suffers from considerable CA with purple fringing off centre and is only sharp in the centre area of the frame. To avoid the CA you really need to step down the aperture and this lens is bang average at the short and long focal lengths and optimal at 50mm

I personally found a small light fixed prime like 35mm or 50mm much better in all aspects. If you're using a crop body I'd go for the 35mm or 50mm prime, they're cheaper, sharper, lighter and just overall better. There's currently 2 second hand Nikon 35mm f/1.8g AF-S lenses on Wex website right now for £76 & £80, 2 second hand 50mm f/1.8g primes for £81 & £85, whereas with the 24-70mm f/2.8g I'm seeing prices between £350-£500. Maybe get both the 35mm and 50mm and you'll still save at least £200 over the 24-70mm.
Thank you very much

I have a 35mm 1.8 that I have used on my D500 and really like it but have just decided to go mirrorless so am looking sell. If you are interested let me know and I will put it in for sale on this site at less than the Wex ones.

Back