Nikon D5000 Just bought need some help Please..........

Name
Zoe
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi. Not been on here for a while now. So hello to u all again:wave:

Any Hoo.

I bought the Nikon D5000 yest with the 18-55mm VR and the Tamaron 70-300mm Tele Macro

What issue i have is the pictures are really Noisey. Grrr. Have had a play with Settings and Have ISO on lowest 200. anyone help me on this?

Also The 70-300mm Lens all my pics are outta Focus... I had the Canon 450D and had the same issue with that lens also.. is it just the Lens or am i doing something wrong.. Again any help would appreciated...

Anything else you need to know just ask :)

Zoe

what settings you using and where are you. inside,outside etc?

a few sample images might help.

Hi. Not been on here for a while now. So hello to u all again:wave:

Any Hoo.

I bought the Nikon D5000 yest with the 18-55mm VR and the Tamaron 70-300mm Tele Macro

What issue i have is the pictures are really Noisey. Grrr. Have had a play with Settings and Have ISO on lowest 200. anyone help me on this?

If your underexposing your images then they will look noisy - what settings are you shooting at?

Also The 70-300mm Lens all my pics are outta Focus... I had the Canon 450D and had the same issue with that lens also.. is it just the Lens or am i doing something wrong

If both cameras/lenses are producing out of focus pics and the only constant is the person behind the camera.....:thinking::naughty:

Sounds like both issues are more to do with your technique, rather than the equipment, which fortunately makes them dead easy to sort :)

If your underexposing your images then they will look noisy - what settings are you shooting at?

If both cameras/lenses are producing out of focus pics and the only constant is the person behind the camera.....:thinking::naughty:

Sounds like both issues are more to do with your technique, rather than the equipment, which fortunately makes them dead easy to sort :)

I am Pmsfl ((( evil laugh)) am i pro :naughty:

Ok give me a second i will post a few i got Or you could all look on my Flickr link below they are in there

Thanks again:)

how much pp they had zoe? perhaps oversharpened? are you viewing fullsize or reduced size?

3691602290_0cce3cb615_o.jpg

3690794059_e74b53e25c_o.jpg

Here a couple of ones i edited but u can still see

First pic...I assume you used a tripod?

Second one...3200 iso....that'll always be noisy on an entry-level camera like the 5000 :shrug:

Second one...3200 iso....that'll always be noisy on an entry-level camera like the 5000 :shrug:

Should be similar to D90 D300 according to reports, that 2nd looks a touch underexposed, which will not help the cause either.

would i have been better going for the D90?

Hmmm Maybe i shot that in Auto.. will need to look

Can you post some UNPROCESSED daylight shots at ISO 200? :D

Gary.

Ok will need to upload them to Flickr first give me 10 mins

Thanks

Zoe, check that Auto iso is turned off in the menu - sometimes with the D40 it looked as if it was off when it was actually on, so you'd set it to 200 and the camera would choose 1600 instead :bang:

Zoe, check that Auto iso is turned off in the menu - sometimes with the D40 it looked as if it was off when it was actually on, so you'd set it to 200 and the camera would choose 1600 instead :bang:

Yep...what focus mode were you using?

Having probs uploading to flickr just now.... I think it may be set on auto. How do i fix that?

Was on AF. Dont do MF much *** might start to see how that is also...

I did buy the Canon 450D last week. but the Body was Faulty and it so put me off. So decided to go for the Nikon D5000. Do you think i would have been better going for the D90? not sure on the differences between them. :shrug:

Even so, ISO 3200 wouldn't be fantastic. On my D90, I used ISO 1600 only when absolutely necessary.

ISO 3200 should not be a problem if the exposure is nailed, edge slightly to over exposure (and I mean slightly) rather than under exposure.

I leave my D300 on auto ISO, limit 3200 not a problem, the first image on this thread was at ISO 2000 LINK there are some in my album even higher ISO. (cannot remember which at the moment)

The D5000 has the same sensor, and according to reports a pretty accurate metering system.

That 2nd image of the cat, at 3200 ISO with a dark background slightly under exposed is not helping Zoe avoid noise.

Do you think i would have been better going for the D90? not sure on the differences between them. :shrug:

Not really Zoe, that 2nd shot would still have turned out the same. You need to follow Garys advice and take some shots in decent light, then see if there is a problem.

The first pic was a 1/10 second exposure at 300mm, unless you used a tripod or braced the camera it is unlikely to be sharp.

Did you handhold?

May be worth reading through Ken Rockwells guide to using and setting up the D5000 LINK despite what he says about a donation it is free.

Take Ken with a pinch of salt, and do not go as extreme with the saturation settings as he does, but his guides are easy to follow and explain what each setting does, more so than the manual.

There may be a .pdf version that you can download and keep on there as well.

ISO 3200 should not be a problem if the exposure is nailed, edge slightly to over exposure (and I mean slightly) rather than under exposure.

I fully understand Martyn. :) Maybe I'm spoilt by the D700 performance but ISO 3200 on the D90 wasn't really an option if I'm honest.

Just had a look at the Link that Martyn posted (Thanks btw)

I think its me thats doing wrong and i think i need to practice and work out new settings on this Cam as it is Different from my Olympus.. I only bought this yesterday and i am expecting my pics to be totally Cracking as soon as i use it.. Just got to realise that aint gonna happen Sigh.....

And i need to Work it all out. As i have been shooting on Auto ISO where is my Other cam did not have Auto iso etc etc.

I also think the Pictures are not as sharp because i am having problems with where i am focusing on the Auto focus... Totally different focusing system to my Olympus also. So me thinks i need to Practice Practice Practice:naughty:

Thanks again all :)

Young Zoe must learn to walk before she runs .... :D

Best bet is to try the basic stuff in decent light first, then start by changing one setting at a time (like different picture controls) take the same subject with the different settings and see what effect it has, even make notes how you did each shot.

Once you get the camera set up and in a state where you are pleased with the images you are getting, make note of the settings and keep them safe, if you need to reset everything you can resort to your settings.

This is what I did with my first digital, I dont do this now as I know what is what, and how to adjust things without giving it too much thought.

If you do stumble on something that is still bothering you, ask again (y)

Back