Nikon D5000 Wavy lines on video

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys as the title suggests does anyone here know what causes Wavy lines on video caputre using my Nikon D500 @ 720p?
I have tried turning various settings on and off etc with no joy.
It doesnt seem to do it when focusing on the subject but then when recording you can see it apear on the LCD and it stays there.
I was filming some footage for work in our workshop using a tripod on a unit in a frame so once focused it didn't have to refocus.

Im a bit concerned about this as we replaced my camera with a Canon 500D on the same set up and that produced no waving at all, sure i didnt buy my camera to shoot film but still would be nice to know what causes it and if theres anything to fix it?
Thanks
Hg

Is there a filter on the lens?
If there is, take it off and try again.

does this always happen under artificial light?

if so, this is normal and is caused by the ac current powering the lamps in your house (the ac current causes the lights to dip a little during the ac cycle which 50 times a second).

if you have an old CRC monitor in your house and video that, it's basically the same flicker which happening with the lights.

Yup it's the fps clash with 50 UK hertz cycling. Try sticking the camera into NTSC 30fps and picking a shutter speed of twice the NTSC fps I. E shutter speed of 60.
If in pal 25fps avoid multiples of this number for shutter speed I.E 50 ,100 etc as you will start to record the 50 hertz cycle flicker under artificial u.k lighting.
You will also see it if you point the camera at a TV cycling at 50 hertz. In the U.S they have to avoid shutter speeds that will result in matching 60 hertz cycling.

Last edited:
Here's a video of the footage in question http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxGCK4ffyR0
It also shows the footage taken with the Canon 500D to show the difference.

You are all prob right about the light, that was my first thought but i was wondering if i could remedy it? if i can then i cant but i'll check for a 'flicker adjustment' option.

Hi everyone !
I have the same camera and exactly the same problem.
Have you found the solution?

If you need the ac powering information, i am from argentina...

Back