Nikon D5100 or 7000

Edit My Images
No
Hi I am looking to upgrade from a D40 to either D5100 or 7000 anyone have any advise what the difference are as all I can see it the HD video which I am not fused about... Thanks

Pretty similar apart from controls, the d5100 is menu driven, the d7000 has direct access buttons for changing settings.

There are some other changes but that is the biggest change.

There are plenty of differences (see Nikon site) but I'll point out an important one- the D7000 has an inbuilt focus motor- so it can auto focus AF-D as well as AF-S lenses. The D5100 does not have one so can only Auto Focus on AF-S lenses. If you attach an AF-D lens it will be manual focus only.

You may only ever buy AF-S lenses so that may be a mute point but it's worth bearing in mind- there are some nice AF-D lenses out there.

Apart from the extra buttons you get a much better built body, an in body motor and a bugger brighter viewfinder.

The in body motor is only of interest to you if you want AF on older non motorised lens, this is becoming less of an issue as time goes by since all new lenses have built in motors.

The viewfinder though not as obviously important it was the main reason why I wanted a mid range DSLR like the D7k (now I have a K-5) when I was looking to upgrade from my D40. Helps a heck of a lot with framing.

Not to mention...

Build quality
Shutter durability
Top LCD display
Shooting speed
Dual SD card slots
Better weather sealing
39 point autofocus system

The D7000 is in a different league from the D5100 and I don't understand how people can say there is little difference. Anyone who thinks this clearly hasn't done their research.

Last edited:
Not to mention...

Build quality
Shutter durability
Top LCD display
Shooting speed
Dual SD card slots
Better weather sealing
39 point autofocus system

The D7000 is in a different league from the D5100 and I don't understand how people can say there is little difference.

Adgreed,I know which one I would go for :)

D7000

I upgrade to D7000 from D5000 last year. The D5000 is pretty much similar to the D5100 but with improvement.

The d7000 is completely in different league compare to the D5000/5100. When you hold one and use one in your hand, then you know why.

The d7000 is not as big as the d300, d700 etc but it give you that pro quality feel in your hand. When the camera is gripped then it make the camera feel completely different.

Handling and feel - D7000 wins hands down as all the controls are there and the top LCD is very handy.
D7000 also has much better viewfinder and is faster with AF motor.

Image Quality - unless you start pixel peeping the D5100 holds its own against the D7000.

So really depends what matters to you most. A lot of people will be prefectly happy with the D5100 and prefer the smaller size. A lot of people want the pro feeling of the D7000.

Personally, I couldnt get on with the D7000 - the grip was far too shallow for my liking and that for me was very important. The K5 was want won it for me.

Go play with both and you will soon know which one is for you.

Last edited:
The D5100 has the same sensor as the D7000. IQ's identical. Top LCD's handy, but tilting the camera 45 degrees isn't the biggest imposition ever. Build quality? Both will survive most day to day use. If you're going rock climbing with the camera, neither will survive a hundred foot fall :D The AF on the D7000 is a lot better though (mostly in customisation off centre focusing and tracking - centre point AF is indistinguishable in good light with AF-S lenses). If that and the Ai-S metering were in the D3100 or D5100, I'd probably never have bought the D7000.

I'm really pleased with my D5100. Find it really easy to use and navigate the menus (even though I'm still learning!). I'm a newbie too though.

if you have money i say buy the D7000.

Reason why D7000 instead of the D5100 is not the picture quality that is different.

Is the build quality of the D7000, i.e weather sealing, metal body, inbuild motor to use AF-D lens, more button and control.

D5100 is a good camera but you will soon find it you need those extra control and thats where the D7000, D90, D300s or above comes into play.

Good choice Daren74...so long as you like the feel of it when you try it out before parting with your hard earned cash!

I had to make this choice and went for the D5100. I'm very happy with it but maybe should have gone for the D7000 for the autofocus on the body.
I do find the articulated screen useful on the D5100 though.

If a future D7100 had that, I'd probably upgrade.

Controls and AF are the key things in my mind.....that undoubtedly gets you more keepers.

Bear in mind resale value as well - the 5100 is in the middle bracket of pro-sumer alongside the D90 and therefore I suspect values will plumet just like the D5000 did (I would know, I just sold one).

The 7000 is seen as a much more serious camera and therefore I am betting it will hold its value better, like the D90 has done.

Also its a bloody good camera and don't underestimate the inbuilt focus motor - means you can buy lovely lenses which are cheaper than the AFS primes (for example, a nice nifty fifty for under £100) and therefore recoup the extra cost of the camera.

i use to have the D5000 and when i upgrade to D7000, it is a different camera.

The camera allows me to keep shooting without keep going back and forth on the LCD manual.

Back