Nikon D5300 throuw away and get a Sony a6000?

TASOS PAP.

Name
Tasos Papargyriou
Edit My Images
Yes
PROBLEM guys. I've been a longtime user of Sony a3000 (mirrorless) shooting indoor video and I decided to get a DSLR, the Nikon D5300 with the kit lens. But, I was very disappointed by the low light video, with it being very underexposed. In Sony a3000 despite the high noise (which was a result of the sensor's low sensitivity max) I never met underexposed video in low light and, even when I zoomed, the loss in 2 f-stops of light was not even noticeable. In D5300, zooming gets all the frame dark in ISO less than 1600.

I shoot in ISO 1600, max F/ available and 1/30 shutter speed in both a3000 and D5300, but D5300 gets it darker. MUCH darker.
Do you consider getting a 35mm prime would solve the problem or should I get a sony a6000?

The Sony a6000 had overheating issues when shooting video, so you'd need to check if this has been fixed before getting your money out.
Also if you do decide to go for the sony a6000 there's the extra cost of added lenses to factor in.
The Nikon will perform better with a fast prime lens, but then your limited to a fixed focal length, and a camera that's not really nikons best as far as video goes, and your stuck with HD footage rather than the more "future proof" 4k option.
If I were you, and if finance permits it, I'd be looking at the Sony RX10ii. or RX10iii, these are both built around fast mega zooms that can give uncompressed 4k video with great optical steady shot built in. Certain retailers are giving zero finance options at the moment. And no, I don't work for Sony, it's just that I've been looking at similar options as yourself recently, and I'm about to order the Mkiii.

Nikons are pretty rubbish at video, I don't know anyone who uses them for video work.

I use an A6000 professionally, for the size/money it's very good.

OMG i'm cutting my wrists here I have a nikon D5300:( which I purchased because I wanted to make videos, thankfully I'm not a professional or even trying to do professional type work:):) I DO NEED ADVICE THOUGH. I purchased the D5300 body only because I already have a nikon D40x and lenses this seemed to be the most cost effective way forward. I mainly intend to make videos in my workshop with the camera mounted on a tripod and me the other side of the 8ft bench, well maybe 9ft as my 6-pack has slumped a bit over the years. I am hoping to put the videos on youtube but unsure what lens to use for this static and constant shooting. I have just purchased a f/1.8G 50mm lens, what would be the best size lens for this type of work, your advice will be very welcome.

Hi leadbelly, Your kit is more than adequate for you tube applications. If I were you I'd be making sure my lighting and audio were up to scratch. Give us a link to your YouTube videos and I'm sure you'll get some constructive comments.
Good luck !

Back