Nikon d5300

Hi Jack.

It would helpful to give us a little more info regards lighting ?

Portraits is a broad term, indoor, outdoor, flash, night, day, all depends on the lens that might work for you.

Most people suggest lens around the 100mm as being the "best" for portraits, some use longer, it's something of a personal choice and a lot depends on your location. If your in a small home studio you might not have the distance for a longer-ish lens.

Hi @jacklark

Your question is so very open ended that no one can give you a specific recommendation!

As mentioned above more insights are needed.

Perhaps as a first step is for you to post some of the portraiture you have photographed with your current D5300 and the 18-55mm lens .....why, you may ask, should you show us your pictures? Well, without seeing what your portraits look like now any suggestions for a "better" lens will be a waste of your money and a 'waste of breath' of anyone's advice.

This is a photography forum...........so why not post some of your portraits for feedback & constructive criticism. There is in the sense photography genre no such thing as a better lens but when asked in the context of:-
These are my pictures......how can I improve them based on that they were taken this camera & lens?
Based on the feedback only then is the logical question as to whether a different lens (note not a better lens) may help you improve the type of images you have already taken or those you want to take in future?

I have a 35mm F1.8 which is quite exquisite. I'm led to believe the 50mm variant is also quite sharp as well.

I use 18-55mm len. Any lenses recommended for better protrait.^

You use an 18-55mm lens so you are using a crop sensor camera. Depending on how much of the person you want to get in the frame, you could use something as wide as the 35mm Professor1991 above recommended for a whole body shot, however generally you're better off using a longer focal length. On crop I'd probably suggest between 75mm and 100mm or even a little longer.

Why not post links to the kinds of pictures you'd like to take.

I use 18-55mm len. Any lenses recommended for better protrait.^

I'm the proud owner of a D5300 with a handful of lenses, and my favourite - most used - is a tatty old 18-200mm ... love the versatility.

Here are some samples, you just need to ensure your subject is distanced from the BG and you stand well back from your subject and zoom in. Therefore not for indoors.

D530018-200:- Ms d00d 1 /// Ms d00d 2 /// Distant streety /// Street Performer

The Nikon 85mm f/1.8G is technically better at portraiture but not half a useful to own.

Last edited:
Back