Beginner Nikon D5500 kit lens or fast zoom

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
Im about to purchase a Nikon D5500, not sure if I should get the 18-55 kit lens, plus a 50mm or 35mm prime or get body only a third party fast zoom either the Sigma 17-50 or the Tamron version, I'll be taking photos of my children indoors/outdoors and mainly landscapes

The Nikon 18-55mm is a typical kit lens. If you can afford it the Nikon 17-55mm is streets ahead but if you are in budget then consider the 3rd party versions instead.

Have you got the 17-50 Tamron, I see there are 2 versions...1 with vc (vibration control) and 1 without, reviews say that non vc is better

I did look at the Nikon but a bit above my price range at the moment, something to consider in the future though

Have you got the 17-50 Tamron, I see there are 2 versions...1 with vc (vibration control) and 1 without, reviews say that non vc is better

I have had both,i didn't like the VC but it can be switched of,so i would go for the non VC one :)

Another option might be the 18-140 kit lens, heard its a better lens optically compared to the 18-55

Generally speaking, the greater the range of a zoom, the more of a compromise the lens is, so the 17-50 is likely to be better than the 18-140. And that's quite apart from the 17-55 being a significantly faster lens in terms of aperture. My money would go on a good, fast short zoom - the Tamron 17-50 seems to get decent reviews and also has (IIRC) a 5 year warranty if bought new and UK stock. At that short a length and especially given its intended use, I would stick with the non VC version since VC will be of little use in keeping children still and for landscapes a tripod (or similar support) is a good idea and would render VC redundant anyway!

ETA Kit lenses are generally built down to a price rather than up to a quality. They usually do the job but once you use better lenses you'll feel and see the difference. Having said that, the old Nikon 18-70 kit lens was a very good performer especially for the price. Probably getting a bit long in the tooth these days though and isn't really fast enough for low light use (in terms of aperture rather that AF).

Edit to correct the focal length range of the 17-50 (NOT 55!)

Last edited:

the difference was minimal, you really need to pixel peep to see it. i preferred having the vc - around 3 stops of extra light when the situation allowed.

I got my d5300 with kit lens, having got 17-55mm already I must say my kit lens is permanently in the storage as you need a fast lens for indoor photography

The Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 Art lens is superb. You could partner it with a 50mm f1.8 for a very nice set up. It's more-or-less the combi I use with my D7200.

Back