Nikon D5xxx Owners Thread

i contacted Hahnel USA some months ago

they didn't make a specific D5000 grip at the time

so i used the Hahnel one off my D40 - fits ok - only batteries though, no extra controls

Thanks for the reply John.

It seems like there is no official and very little 3rd party grips available which strikes me as a missed opportunity. Loading up a heavier lens on the front and turning it portrait means the weight balance is all off. I will look into D40 grips I guess.

Thanks again.

LinkDelight now list one for the D5000............''here''

BUT it has an external wire connection [for vertical release..?] which i dont like

seems easy to catch on something

lotsa discussion on about page#12 of this thread

or search this thread for ''grip''

ps

Hahnel .D40........''here'' on eBay

check out post 212 on page 8 for D40 grip on D5000

but the Link delight comes with 2nd battery....(y)

Last edited:
LinkDelight now list one for the D5000............''here''

BUT it has an external wire connection [for vertical release..?] which i dont like

seems easy to catch on something

lotsa discussion on about page#12 of this thread

or search this thread for ''grip''

I have this one, I too was worried about the wire, but used it almost a year now and shot lots of sport and never had a problem so far, although I'm concious of it being there so I am extra careful most times, the double battery life is fantastic though.

HTH
Phil (now also a D7000 owner :D )

By the way John, my lens has arrived....but not alot of time to shot with it yet, i will post when i get the hang of it.:)

managed any sun yet..?...be interested to see some landscapes at 55mm and perhaps a shot or two at 300mm

if you cannot use PhotoBucket [or whatever] to post a decent size [say 1024] pic here, I have sent you my email address to send as an attachment

many thanks....john

Hi John, I have shot a few over the last week....these are taken at different focal lenghts

DSC_0351-2.jpg

[/IMG]

DSC_0352-2.jpg

[/IMG]

DSC_0342-2.jpg
[/IMG]

DSC_0327-2.jpg
[/IMG]

DSC_0354-2.jpg
[/IMG]

DSC_0447.jpg

I hope this helps but i have to learn alot more.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I bought my D5000 about 2 weeks ago and I'm loving it... just trying to get my head around things!! :)

Guys ive just received my MC-36 copy remote and i have to say it looks the nuts! Ive been told its identical to the Nikon version but i only paid £19 compared to £140 for the original. I'll let you all know how it is in action.
Phil

Hi Phil just wondering how you're finding the remote? I had the same itm from amazon but the plug got stuck in my camera and the metal shroud had to be pulled out with pliers:(
Otherwise the timer end seemed to be the nuts, I got my money back no problem but was wondering if I just had a bad copy as you seem to be having no problem on a later post.
Cheers
Si

Hi everyone,

I've just joined the forum after being away from photography for many years (other than p&s). I've brought a D5000 with a 18-55mm & 55-200mm lens set. I've taken a few pictures, just using the auto function.

I've just picked up a couple of books for the camera (the included manual was a waste of paper) & hope to start learning and improving.

I've just picked up a couple of books for the camera (the included manual was a waste of paper) & hope to start learning and improving.

:welcome:

lots to learn on the D5000....:D
a good book is David Busch D5000 from Amazon

or read through Ken Rockwell's ''review'' with lotsa links to 'Set-up' etc

try shooting in ''Aperture Priority''
shoot ISO200 but bump the ISOmax up t0 3200, min shutter 1/100
and see what the various Aperture [ie DOF] settings give you

ps I find landscapes tend to be a bit flat OOC, with flat skies here lately
so select Landscapes on the mode dial, or select Vivid in the Picture Control

Yardbent,

Thanks for that information. Could you please clarify what you mean with regards to the autoISO being set at 3200.

I've been watching one of the Magic Lantern DVD's which has been very helpful regarding camera settings.

I'm off to Glastonbury at the end of June and hoping to get some shots of bands that will obviously be in dark conditions with stage lighting etc and more than likely from a distance.

Any recommendations, hints & tips would be much appreciated.

Yardbent,

........ Could you please clarify what you mean with regards to the autoISO being set at 3200.
............and hoping to get some shots of bands that will obviously be in dark conditions with stage lighting etc ...........

hi i usually shot AV and select the aperture I want

the idea is to set the base ISO [ i use 200] and

then program the camera, so that in the dark, the shutter speed doesn't fall below [say 1/100] at which point the camera will increase the ISO to the select Max

look in the Menu for ISO Sensitivity ''ON'' [base ISO]
and
ISO Sensitivity Auto Control

or read page 149 in the **** Manual......:LOL::LOL:
-----------------------------------------------------------
''and more than likely from a distance.''
you may be using a zoom, so use a higher minimum speed...1/250.?

regards....john

hi i usually shot AV and select the aperture I want

the idea is to set the base ISO [ i use 200] and

then program the camera, so that in the dark, the shutter speed doesn't fall below [say 1/100] at which point the camera will increase the ISO to the select Max

look in the Menu for ISO Sensitivity ''ON'' [base ISO]
and
ISO Sensitivity Auto Control

or read page 149 in the **** Manual......:LOL::LOL:
-----------------------------------------------------------
''and more than likely from a distance.''
you may be using a zoom, so use a higher minimum speed...1/250.?

regards....john

Thanks for that. The reason I asked was that some one had told me to set the camera to shutter priority mode. Yet you recommend aperture priority mode. I'm confooooozed :eek:

Or would this just reverse what controls what?

if you are taking images dependent on speed eg horse shows, car racing etc it's a good idea to select shutter priority and select higher shutter speeds such as 1/500 or 1/1000 for example
these shutter speeds will freeze the 'action'

if you are shooting ''bands on stage in low light'' use aperture priority

select f2.8 of f4 for use in low light, the camera will select shutter speeds for the correct exposure - and will bump up the ISO rating if there is not sufficient light

if you are taking images dependent on speed eg horse shows, car racing etc it's a good idea to select shutter priority and select higher shutter speeds such as 1/500 or 1/1000 for example
these shutter speeds will freeze the 'action'

if you are shooting ''bands on stage in low light'' use aperture priority

select f2.8 of f4 for use in low light, the camera will select shutter speeds for the correct exposure - and will bump up the ISO rating if there is not sufficient light

Once again, thanks for your help & advice.

Hey everyone,

Got a question about my camera broken middle focus point.

I noticed this the other day. whenever i use the middle focus point on my D5000 it pretty much never focuses. It's just hunts around all day long.

But if i use any of the other focus points it will focus straight away. (like it's obviously suppose to do) It does this with every lens i use

I really don't understand why's it's doing this.

Is my camera dying?

Has this happend to anyone else?

I too have a question. I'm struggling to know which lens fit the D5000 and have built in focus motors? How do I tell this.

Scott

Scottynoooo said:
I too have a question. I'm struggling to know which lens fit the D5000 and have built in focus motors? How do I tell this.

Scott

Hello Scott it's the ones that have AF-S within the title name, and good work with the Lego men.

Hi all,

Having scoured the manual and a few books i seem to be missing the part where i can change how my images are numbered. Each time i download images from the card the next batch starts from 1 again! It's really annoying when i try to archive stuff into folders of themes rather than by date. And for when i put folders of images together and have to batch rename! Am i missing something? Or can you not set this on the D5000?

yes you can set the D5000 up so that it numbers shots ''consecutively'' regardless of the card you insert

I copy my images to the PC after each shoot, and always format the card once I'm sure they are in the PC and backed-up to the external HDD

the next shoot then carries on with the next number

the Manual is in the car....give me a moment

Nikon manual see p159

Custom settings menu d4...ON

sorted........:D

BTW throw said manual in the bin and buy D5000 David Busch off Amazon....(y)

Took me a few months to suss that one out too. Will save much grief in the future.
Unfortunately I'm now stuck with a dozen 0001s! Think Nikon got the default setting wrong on this.

(y)
Hi all, just a quick question, I am curently working in Singapore and wanted to buy a Polarizing filter for my D5000, when I went to the local shop I was offered a Steinzeiser polarizing filter which the seller told me are better than the Hoya - as it is made in Germany!!

Has anyone any experiance with this brand?

Also was just getting a price on a Sigma 105 F2.8 macro lens which works out about £350 here - is this reasonable and is it a good lens to start trying macro photography?

Cheers in advance
Sam

Sam

dont know about macro stuff - only i read somewhere the 105mm is better than the 60mm as the 60mm means you are right on top of your subject which may scare it...HTH

I use Marumi 72mm and 52mm DHG C-PL filters - for the price they are superb

I gather Hoya HD range are well rated but expensive

Its seems that SteinZeiser filters are actually made in China....so not German at all. Have a look here http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threads/630581-SteinZeiser-filters
they dont get a very good write up at all I'm afraid. It seems they are only available in the Far East, Singapore, Malaysia etc.....another bit of evidence to say they aren't made in Germany.
as Yardbent says, go for something like a Marumi, Hoya etc. It will be expensive but you get what you pay for.
Personally i use a Hoya HD polariser and a Hoya Pro-1 UV and both have been excellent.

Neil

Last edited:
(y)
Hi all, just a quick question, I am curently working in Singapore and wanted to buy a Polarizing filter for my D5000, when I went to the local shop I was offered a Steinzeiser polarizing filter which the seller told me are better than the Hoya - as it is made in Germany!!

Has anyone any experiance with this brand?

Also was just getting a price on a Sigma 105 F2.8 macro lens which works out about £350 here - is this reasonable and is it a good lens to start trying macro photography?

Cheers in advance
Sam

This should prove helpful...

http://www.lenstip.com/115.4-article-Polarizing_filters_test_Results_and_summary.html

Has anyone had their D5000 serviced yet?? Mine is approaching 9000 shutter actuations and was wondering if i need to get it serviced? Also any idea on cost?

The camera's working fine so i'm thinking if it ain't broke......

Nikon reckon the shutter life is 100,000 actuations so it seems a little premature!

Nikon reckon the shutter life is 100,000 actuations so it seems a little premature!

Ok... I have nothing to worry about then.
:)

I was a bit worried as i'm sure in the manual it says you need to get the camera serviced every 2 years or something.

Does anyone on here own the D5000 book by Jeff Revell?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-D5000...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1309176326&sr=1-1

The David Busch book gets a few recommendations in this thread, but no-one has mentioned Revell. Revell seems to be well-liked on Amazon (as is Busch) judging by the reviews.

I have the Revell book and it has taught me loads about my D5000 I would recommend that it is read as opposed to the Nikon Manual which comes with the camera.

Is the Revell book more aimed at beginners, rather than intermediates? I have experience with a 35mm SLR so I know the basics about ISO, aperture and shutter speed trade-off and their effect on depth of field.

Is the Revell book more aimed at beginners, rather than intermediates? I have experience with a 35mm SLR so I know the basics about ISO, aperture and shutter speed trade-off and their effect on depth of field.

I'm not all that sure it is quite in depth, I came from film cameras to digital so knew the basics as well

Which one? Busch or Revell? :) And what's your level of experience (beginner, amateur, etc)?

Sorry the Revell one! I have had my camera for a while but still consider myself as a relative beginner!! I also have Nikon D5000 For Dummies by Julie Adair King. Think they were in a bundle from Amazon so got them both. I tend to flick between them both to be honest!

Back