Edit My Images
Yes
Specs announced:

20.8MP (non BSI) sensor

105 cross type AF points with customiseable groups

Expeed 6 processor

14 FPS

£6,199 RRP

Anyone thinking of getting one or just stick with your D5?

GC

Very disappointed. I was waiting for the d6 - hoping it was going to be revolutionary - like another d3.
However I’m not too impressed.
I’ll keep hold of my Nikon glass - May add a d4 at some point to have a fast, capable camera and then for any professional work - it may have to be a system switch, either canon or Sony.
Currently - the Sony system just seems to be more innovative and better in tune with the market. However from my experience using the Sony gear - a faster buffer is required and then it’ll be a no brainer.

However from my experience using the Sony gear - a faster buffer is required and then it’ll be a no brainer.
Have you tried the new A9 II, its properly fast with Sony SF-G 299 MB/s write SD cards. The AF system is unbeatable and it's a lot cheaper than the new Nikon D6. ;)

Have you tried the new A9 II, its properly fast with Sony SF-G 299 MB/s write SD cards. The AF system is unbeatable and it's a lot cheaper than the new Nikon D6. ;)

If starting from scratch I'd look at the Sony but being BD into the Nikon system a swap isn't viable. Plus, TBH I don't think the Sony system gives any advantage for the stuff I shoot to justify a change.

GC

I wouldn't be getting one anyway now but have to say I am underwhelmed for £6k+

Agree about the pricing!

I'm hanging fire until some real world reviews on the AF performance before committing, if it's not a significant upgrade I'll probably just go for an additional D5.

GC

Maybe second hand D5 prices will drop now, that said I've just blagged a lovely D4s very very cheap.
I wonder if this is the last of the mega DSLR's and things will change from Nikon now? At least in years to come we may get to own one of these incredible pro-spec DSLR's when they are cheap but still capable of amazing images.

I certainly wont be changing this time. I have always tended to swop regularly, but the D5 does everything I need. Struggling to find my mojo anyway just lately. You never know, I might end up selling the lot.

The lack of desire for both the 1dx3 and d6 is interesting. Neither camp seem impressed with the new offerings.

Maybe most sales will be to people who wont be paying their own money for them.

The lack of desire for both the 1dx3 and d6 is interesting. Neither camp seem impressed with the new offerings.
Both Nikon and Canon have played it way too safe with their professional bodies...... they should have gone all out mirrorless..... their professional WOULD have eventually moved over, all the had to do was offer a decent trade-in program.
I think these will be their final DSLR pro bodies, the next generations must be mirrorless surely!

Both Nikon and Canon have played it way too safe with their professional bodies...... they should have gone all out mirrorless..... their professional WOULD have eventually moved over, all the had to do was offer a decent trade-in program.
I think these will be their final DSLR pro bodies, the next generations must be mirrorless surely!

And what native lenses would they have to use?

And what native lenses would they have to use?
Exactly there are no lenses for either system that a pro using such a camera would wish to use.

It’s also touch and go whether Nikon will go bankrupt first or announce more lenses!

Exactly there are no lenses for either system that a pro using such a camera would wish to use.

It’s also touch and go whether Nikon will go bankrupt first or announce more lenses!

That's why they had to go dslr, they both weren't commited enough during their milc development. At least Canon could afford it, but I'm sure they both also wanted to get rid of as many big lenses in stock as they could.

Unless the D6 has some sort of perfect focusing system, which it won't have, it's just a D5 with very expensive card slots. Who is going to buy it!

Back