nikon d600 suggestions

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
hi
going to be ordering my d600 and was wondering about getting it with the kit lens 24-85 for starters or body only, any views on the 24-85?

thanx

It's decent enough, that probably sounds like damning with faint praise, not meant to be. I nearly got the kit but already had some FX glass so saved a few quid for an UWA ...

Judging by what camera is listed in your info (Canon 600D) then the 24-85 will be a great first lens for use on the D600.

I mostly do landscape so a nice wide angle, any suggestions?
I am loving my Tokina 16-28mm f2.8 :) Obviosuly the Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 should be considered as should the Nikon 16-35 f4 - the Tokina came along at the right price for me. For primes it gets a little different I think. The Nikon 20mm f2.8 & 24mm f2.8 are ok I think, the 24mm f1.4 is very nice (and very expensive), after that zeis do a very nice range but all are manual focus (not really an issue for lanscapes imo) and the Voigtlander 20mm f/3.5 is also very nice (again manual focus) ... I'm sure there are loads of others too ...

yes ive looked at all the usual suspects lol nut just cannot make mind up, im reading reviews on one site which are great then the next review is rubbish :-(

im using ken Rockwell and fred Miranda :)

I wouldn't necessarily place too much store in what KR says ... he can be a laugh at times though. Plenty of review sites out there, but at the end of the day hands on experience probably matter more and tbh none of the lenses mentioned are bad lenses, far from it. Often comes down to the range you need, whether or not you really want filters or not and / or whether you want to use a prime or zoom. Of course budget will also have a say too ...

The 24-85mm kit lens will produce perfectly good landscapes btw and 24mm is quite wide on FX. It is a very good "kit" lens too.

As a kit lens it's fine. But it's nothing special.

Personally I'd say get body only and a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 non-VC (used)

I use this most of the time on my camera. It's sharp at every aperture other than f2.8 where it is a little soft. But hey...at least I can go to f2.8. When I have enough saved I'll upgrade to either the Tamron 24-70 or the Nikkor. Not sure yet. But it's hard to justify for me so far since I'm more than happy with the performance of the Tamron 28-75.

on my canon 600d I was using the sigma 10-20 mainly and I got some good results :)

If you can push the boat out a little more cash wise the Nikon 24-120 f4 is a cracking lens and the extra length comes in really handy.

I personally don't like standard zooms. Consumer 4.5-5.6 or even f/4 zooms are slow and professional f/2.8 are bulky (and still slow compared to primes). I much prefer a combination of an ultrawide zoom/prime and a fast wide to standard prime lens.

Primes are usually light, balances better on smaller bodies like D600 and have superior IQ. Especially contrast (less elements) and smaller distortion which is good for landscape.

You have 24 megapixels on your D600 and thats a huge advantage. You could use a good 35mm lens you can easily crop 35-60mm reach without loosing anything. Then with additional light 85mm (or even cheap 50mm in crop mode) you could shoot great portraits. And you still have f/1.4 or 1.8 aperture. This is much better and more verstatile than slow 24-85 zoom with f/5.6 in most of the range

Last edited:
I personally don't like standard zooms. Consumer 4.5-5.6 or even f/4 zooms are slow and professional f/2.8 are bulky (and still slow compared to primes). I much prefer a combination of an ultrawide zoom/prime and a fast wide to standard prime lens.

Primes are usually light, balances better on smaller bodies like D600 and have superior IQ. Especially contrast (less elements) and smaller distortion which is good for landscape.

You have 24 megapixels on your D600 and thats a huge advantage. You could use a good 35mm lens you can easily crop 35-60mm reach without loosing anything. Then with additional light 85mm (or even cheap 50mm in crop mode) you could shoot great portraits. And you still have f/1.4 or 1.8 aperture. This is much better and more verstatile than slow 24-85 zoom with f/5.6 in most of the range

As the o.p has already stated he is looking for a zoom your post does not make an awful lot of sense. :thinking:

In regards to the kit lens I would personally skip it and if funds are tight get a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 the one without the built in motor appears to be the best version. If you have the funds your best option is always going to be the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8.

If you need something wide and have the funds the 16-35 is probably the best option and if funds are tight a used Tokina 16-28mm f/2.8 is probably going to be your best option.

tokina is out the question as I use filters :-(

the 16-35 looks and sounds awesome :)

also the 24-70 :)

this is my first full frame camera so is my best optiojn the kit lens to get me started and maybe wait for a better lens?

tokina is out the question as I use filters :-(

the 16-35 looks and sounds awesome :)

also the 24-70 :)

this is my first full frame camera so is my best optiojn the kit lens to get me started and maybe wait for a better lens?

Personally I don't see the point of doing that as you have then just wasted money buying a new lens that you intend to replace from the get go.

If budget is an issue why don't you just get a used Nikon 28-105. These have a fairly decent rep as being sharp and can be bought for peanuts so that you won't lose much when you replace it.

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 18-35MM F3.5-4.5G ED ive looked at this and looks a good lens :)

If you can afford it the Nikkor 24-70 2.8 with the D600 is a fantastic combination.
Virtually all the shots I have taken with the D600 have been with this lens.
I do a lot of 1940s events and last year I always used a Nikkor 70-200 2.8 VRll on my D3,but this Sunday at Crich I will be using D600/24-70.

Back