Nikon D600 vs D700

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi... In my search for a D700 I have been offered a D600 body without the well-reported shutter oil problem in similar condition with similar shutter actuations for about £100 more than the equivalent D700. I can see from the spec sheet that the pixel cpount is a lot higher. Does anyone think this and/or the other differences justifies the extra expense?

Rob

it not only the spec Rob, it's also how they feel in your hand, UI and build quality

try to get a hold of both to compare

Last edited:
I have had both.

The IQ from the D600 is better (more mp and slightly better DR). But for me personally I just didn't like it compared with the D700.

AF, controls, build quality are all vastly superior on the D700 in my opinion.

It's not a bad camera by any means, and I know there are plenty of people who love them, but I certainly wouldn't choose one over a D700.

And to demonstrate that point I moved back to Nikon FF a couple of weeks ago from m4/3, and now I'm back to a D700,the D600 didn't even enter the equation!

A lot will depend on the type of shooting you do. For example, D600 would be better in low light situations, due to better higher iso handling.

You've also got the reassurance, that should the D600 develop the sensor issue, Nikon will clean for free and eventually replace with a D610, even if you are not the original owner.

Hi... In my search for a D700 I have been offered a D600 body without the well-reported shutter oil problem in similar condition with similar shutter actuations for about £100 more than the equivalent D700. I can see from the spec sheet that the pixel cpount is a lot higher. Does anyone think this and/or the other differences justifies the extra expense?

Rob

Personally with the problems the D600 had I would only consider the D610...

Thanks, all. It's never easy, is it? Decisions, decisions.....

Last edited:
Personally with the problems the D600 had I would only consider the D610...

Potentially, D600 in with Nikon for a clean a few times, then a new D610. With that reassurance, I think the D600, is not even a gamble. Of course, if you're a working pro, being without the camera is something that would need to be brought into the equation.

I have had both.

The IQ from the D600 is better (more mp and slightly better DR). But for me personally I just didn't like it compared with the D700.

AF, controls, build quality are all vastly superior on the D700 in my opinion.

It's not a bad camera by any means, and I know there are plenty of people who love them, but I certainly wouldn't choose one over a D700.

And to demonstrate that point I moved back to Nikon FF a couple of weeks ago from m4/3, and now I'm back to a D700,the D600 didn't even enter the equation!
As above, my main gripe is the D600 feels like a toy compared to the D700, ive owned one, wouldn't touch another.

Potentially, D600 in with Nikon for a clean a few times, then a new D610. With that reassurance, I think the D600, is not even a gamble. Of course, if you're a working pro, being without the camera is something that would need to be brought into the equation.
Nikon didnt replace them all, just a small minority, after a few cleans the issue tended to subside (just how much oil does a camera contain)

Nikon didnt replace them all, just a small minority, after a few cleans the issue tended to subside (just how much oil does a camera contain)

Know quite a few D600, who "pushed" the issue, all got D610 replacements. Anecdotal evidence, I admit, but I think Nikon aren't going to give anyone any real grief over this issue.

Best bet, for OP if possible, is to get to physically handle the two cameras. This alone, may be enough, to make a decision.

D700 for me every time. But as others have said, handle each.
Did a similar thing with a d7000 and d300s a few years ago. That told me all I needed to know.

Which camera do you have at the moment? and what subjects are you shooting? I was torn between the two and decided D700s on a couple of points, albeit fairly minor:

1. I already had a mass of pretty new batteries for the D700 from my D300 days.
2. I already had a mass of pretty new CF cards from my D300 days.
3. The AF of the D600 in low light. I don't know if this is more hearsay or whether an actual issue but I wanted something tried and tested. I do a lot of stuff in low light so it was quite a big dealbreaker for me.
4. The thought of oil issues in the back of my head. While not a dealbreaker would be annoying none the less, yes Nikon would sort it but didn't really want to be without cameras for X amount of time.

I had both. Preferred the image quality of the D600 as new Sony sensors are clearly superior. However, I loved the handling and control style of D700 so much that I eventually replaced the D600 with D800.

Thanks, all. I have bitten the bullet, increased my budget (for God's sake don't tell my wife...) and agreed to buy a D3 at a decent price from an established member on this site. I am hoping that the investment will make me get off my fat derriere this summer and get out and about taking photographs. I am keen on sport so will be looking at motorcycle sport, go-karting and amateur athletics as well as my favourite street/urban photography.

Jus got to decide which lenses to go for now....

Rob

Hi
Just moved up to a D600 last year from the bombproof D200, maybe because my jump up is so vast compared to D700 but D600 is fantastic, I take indoor shots at sports meetings don't need flash.
As for oil in shutter problems 1. Not that many models actually got it
2. Nikon will repair or replace it anyway.
I can not recommend the D600 enough and the one and only problem I have with it is that it has made me want a D810 so bad!

Barryboy, you'll love the D3! I've got one and won't part with it. I just bought a D700 on Wednesday and I've been working since then but get to play with it tomorrow as I'm off work!

Back