Nikon D600

Then again if they can do a FX model for the price of a was was previously a DX, with the same sort of DX modes as the others do...Why wouldn't the previous D300(s) buyers want one, a few of my friends have the D300(S) and they would love a D600 (or whatever it will be called) based on current spec.

Why? Because I have a 70-300mm lens for my D300S, which gives a field of view equivalent to a 105-450mm lens because of the sensor size. How much would it cost me to get anywhere near that range on an FX sensor, and how many lenses to do it? :shrug:

And to do that with a camera that may not match some of the features than the DX camera it may be 'replacing', just to move to FX. I did consider getting a D700 at one point until my circumstances changed, but that was as an addition to the D300S, not as a replacement.

Nikon may think everyone will move on to FX because it is a cheap camera (in comparison to what has gone before) and buy loads of new expensive quality lenses, but that wouldn't happen in good times imho, nevermind during a global recession. :wacky:

I love my D300S, 16-85mm and 70-300mm, but when in a couple of years when I may consider replacing, I will change for improvements in all areas, not suddenly dropping down to 5-6 fps. or not weather sealed or worse AF. Nikon DX lenses are good enough quality for me, added to the range and size.

If Nikon haven't got something for me to go to, then Canon could be getting my money if they have what I want. :shrug:

redhed17 said:
Why? Because I have a 70-300mm lens for my D300S, which gives a field of view equivalent to a 105-450mm lens because of the sensor size. How much would it cost me to get anywhere near that range on an FX sensor, and how many lenses to do it? :shrug:

And to do that with a camera that may not match some of the features than the DX camera it may be 'replacing', just to move to FX. I did consider getting a D700 at one point until my circumstances changed, but that was as an addition to the D300S, not as a replacement.

Nikon may think everyone will move on to FX because it is a cheap camera (in comparison to what has gone before) and buy loads of new expensive quality lenses, but that wouldn't happen in good times imho, nevermind during a global recession. :wacky:

I love my D300S, 16-85mm and 70-300mm, but when in a couple of years when I may consider replacing, I will change for improvements in all areas, not suddenly dropping down to 5-6 fps. or not weather sealed or worse AF. Nikon DX lenses are good enough quality for me, added to the range and size.

If Nikon haven't got something for me to go to, then Canon could be getting my money if they have what I want. :shrug:

Fair point and I wouldn't force my opinion on anyone but you could get the same with either a simple extender or use the fx in DX mode. Or get the excellent d7000 :) or go to canon, or Sony basically like always you are free to do whatever you want.

dejongj said:
Fair point and I wouldn't force my opinion on anyone but you could get the same with either a simple extender or use the fx in DX mode. Or get the excellent d7000 :) or go to canon, or Sony basically like always you are free to do whatever you want.

There's a couple of major flaws there...

You have to have f2.8 lenses to use teleconverters and would need 26mp + to get decent resolution in DX mode...

And FX and premium DX combo is going to cost a lot of money...

Although it was a good argument, I think the only lucrative thing for Nikon to do is continue the DX format and have at least a semi pro option...

to be honest I think Nikon is quite capable of determining what lucrative is for them, after all they have the facts and the true sales figures and we can only but guess from our own experience/perspective which may seem important on a micro level but likely totally insignificant on the global market ;)

dejongj said:
to be honest I think Nikon is quite capable of determining what lucrative is for them, after all they have the facts and the true sales figures and we can only but guess from our own experience/perspective which may seem important on a micro level but likely totally insignificant on the global market ;)

...I wonder if they did a survey, how many people using a D3s would like the equivalent in DX.

I'm not suggesting Nikon don't know what they are doing, clearly they do, but from my point of view I can't see getting rid of DX for setups hobbyists and pros to be very well received, quite simply, not everyone wants FX and that includes full time pros...

You say that like they don't have any good DX cameras in their range currently? What is wrong with the D300S or the D7000 to name two?

LOL So rather hypothetical, a rumoured camera that will replace another rumoured camera....Ok fair enough but was it is replaces the D500?

I wouldn't mind a FX but never to replace DX, I couldn't live without the crop factor.

I don't think quality should be a real argument because the D700 is no better than the 7000 until 10k ISO...

As much as I like the D7000, that isn't quite true :) The D7000 might be a touch better at ISO100, but differences in the D700's favour can be seen from 400, and become significant from 1600.

I don't have any particular love for DX. If Nikon had actually capitalised on the smaller sensor and made smaller, cheaper lenses and a proper set of wide primes, DX would be great. As it is, I have to *******ise big heavy FX lenses to get the FLs I want, and I still have no real wide and fast option. Something like a D600 is inevitable - Nikon have not released a top drawer DX lens since the 17-55, and have not released a single DX wide fast prime ever - something that says a lot regarding how they see DX. Thankfully sensor costs are falling and they seem to have realised that good performance does not have to come in a brick of a body, so at least half my problem will go away :)

The D600 if it comes out as rumoured would have AF as good as any DX camera, and the IQ from the DX crop would be there too - 10MP with at least D7000 level performance. And at the wide end it'd be nothing but good news.

Last edited:

Everyone has a right to their own opinion, and I was putting forward mine. :D

Any extender would lose you light, raise the maximum aperture available, and also add to the cost of already expensive lenses. Using a FX lens and an extender doesn't help spread the AF point across the viewfinder either.

A DX lens using the crop DX feature on Nikon FX cameras gives you a tunnel effect as part of the viewfinder is masked off. Nice to have that feature, as Canon's don't, but would not be something you'd want to use regularly imho. :shrug: Yes, you would get the AF points covering more of the frame, but at a cost

In some respects the D7000 is not as good as a D300S, which is why it wasn't embraced by the D300/S owners hoping for an upgrade.

I always saw the D700 as the entry level FX camera, (seems some didn't :thinking:) and don't see a need for a FX camera with less features than that camera, even if it is cheaper. :shrug:

It is rumours about rumours, and Nikon's plans are set in stone, but without any facts, it's something interesting to talk about. ;) :D

Here they are to save clicking the link.
Nikon-D600-font.jpg

Nikon-D600-top.jpg

Nikon-D600-mount.jpg

Looks D7000 size to me which puts me off a little bit though I'm sure that will be attractive to others. Looking forward to seeing the reviews.

Doesn't look to have a particularly big mirror box for an FX

Yes, but don't you just love rumours. More entertaining than facts, usually.

The new 24-85 plus these pictures pretty much have me sold on the existence of a 'cheap' full frame. If the price is under the $2k mark then I'm going to jump straight in the queue. I just hope we don't get the UK price shaft....

The new 24-85 plus these pictures pretty much have me sold on the existence of a 'cheap' full frame. If the price is under the $2k mark then I'm going to jump straight in the queue. I just hope we don't get the UK price shaft....

Just seen this..... the old 24-85 was supposed to be optically good in a plasticky case and better than the f/2.8-4 version... despite the variable aperture this might be an ideal 'budget' zoom for those who aren't obsessed with fast lenses. If the body is equal to the rumoured dollar pricing, then £1500 for the body and under £500 for the lens might offer good value...

crazyp said:

After what they pulled with the d4 and 800? Get the lube ready.

Yes, but don't you just love rumours. More entertaining than facts, usually.

From my experience Nikon Rumors isnt always that far off the mark. I remember them mentioning the possibility of 36mp for the d800, and they were laughed of many forums...

But of course we're too nice for that behaviour here!!

Just seen this..... the old 24-85 was supposed to be optically good in a plasticky case and better than the f/2.8-4 version... despite the variable aperture this might be an ideal 'budget' zoom for those who aren't obsessed with fast lenses. If the body is equal to the rumoured dollar pricing, then £1500 for the body and under £500 for the lens might offer good value...

Well some people thinking $1500 for the body and then $500 for the lens......so maybe having to get the lube ready and it comes at £1500 + £500 :crying:

For me its the weight saving that is the big thing......the f2.8 is all well and good but it weighs an absolute ton. If this delivers optically then one will have an idea FF kit with not too much of a weight penalty.....

Hmm that together with a grip would do me just fine. Still looks like a D7000 or D300 to me but undeniably Nikon ;)

Are you saying the cam in the pic looks like a D300?

Looks more like a 7000 to me with the psam and drive modes on the top left. no views of the rear controls though, wonder why?

Well I for one am interested, very interested. Mansurovs made the point that the new 24-85 all but confirms the D600 and will probably be the kit lens. Hard to see the 24-85 appealing to D800/D4 market

It will be interesting to see how it compares spec wise with the D800. If it's got the D800's AF (or damn close) like the D300 did that would be brilliant.

Are you saying the cam in the pic looks like a D300?

Looks more like a 7000 to me with the psam and drive modes on the top left. no views of the rear controls though, wonder why?

Nah you are right, more D7000 than D300...I'd be surprised though if it was real, I wouldn't expect the same PASM on the D600...

i highly doubt a full frame camera will come with a PSAM dial.

Tho i am very interested in D600 as far as I am holding off my purchase of D7000

Nah you are right, more D7000 than D300...I'd be surprised though if it was real, I wouldn't expect the same PASM on the D600...

i highly doubt a full frame camera will come with a PSAM dial.

Tho i am very interested in D600 as far as I am holding off my purchase of D7000

Why not have a PASM dial? It's going to be in more of a prosumer body anyway.

Because no pro body has had one before, but hey they are just thoughts and speculations.

Pretty excited with this one if the rumors ever come true. The only problem is that I'll have to sell all my DX gear to fund the new FX lenses. I only need the 50mm, 85mm and a wide angle but even those 3 lenses will probably cost more than my entire DX system with 4 lenses.

Anyone else on DX waiting to move to FX ?

Zsev said:
Pretty excited with this one if the rumors ever come true. The only problem is that I'll have to sell all my DX gear to fund the new FX lenses. I only need the 50mm, 85mm and a wide angle but even those 3 lenses will probably cost more than my entire DX system with 4 lenses.

If you can afford it, in my opinion you won't regret the move to Full Frame.

I wonder how Nikon will market this 'budget' full-frame body and I wonder how many pros will see this as a nice little back-up body?

Newbies will have to be dazzled by numbers and spec because what's to make them buy this over something like a D7000 or D5200? Selling the benefits of full frame starts to get a bit techy when we talk about depth-of-field, pixel density and high ISO....

From my experience Nikon Rumors isnt always that far off the mark. I remember them mentioning the possibility of 36mp for the d800, and they were laughed of many forums...

But of course we're too nice for that behaviour here!!

Nikon wild guesses you mean?. Occasionally they're right, but to coin a phrase a 'stopped clock is right twice a day'.

They did predict 36mp for the d800. They also predicted 20mp and 'possibly more then the D4

You could get the 28, 50 and 85 1.8s - that's under a grand for a lot of capability.

The pics make the camera pretty much my ideal. Just need to see which AF and metering it comes with. The new CAM3500 would be ideal, but the CAM4800 I can live with as that's been able to keep up with and sometimes get ahead of CAM3500 on a D300 which I can't really complain about for this price bracket. A similar improvement in low light AF would not go amiss, though.

On my end I'm waiting to move because Nikon simply hasn't bothered with creating a proper wide lens selection for DX. A D600 is the most effective way to do that for me now. The only 2 changes I'll have to make are getting rid of the 10-20 for something else, and getting the 35 f/2 or f/1.4.

On my end I'm waiting to move because Nikon simply hasn't bothered with creating a proper wide lens selection for DX. A D600 is the most effective way to do that for me now. The only 2 changes I'll have to make are getting rid of the 10-20 for something else, and getting the 35 f/2 or f/1.4.

you've said that before, but theres a 10.5 (OK its a fish eye), a 10-24, a 12-24 (constant f/4) as well as various zooms that start @16-18mm.

On top of that you do have the option of using the wide FX primes and zooms, although I realise you may not want the cost/weight penalty.

What do you feel is missing?

Back