Beginner Nikon d600

Name
Damen
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

Going from my D3300 to a Nikon D600 what difference would there be??

also I have a 28-75mm f2.8 lens and a 70-300 f4-5.6 lens for my d3300 both tamron

would these fit a full frame camera??

thanks

You will have to give full lens model names to be sure or someone might get it wrong anyway.

Much better iso performance, dual command dials, much nicer size / grip, heavier/bigger, top lcd, much bigger viewfinder, easier to use manual exposure controls.
Dual card slots. Those are the main things probably but the main difference is felt by manual exposure users because the dual command dials are WAY better for that.

I think both lenses might be full frame compatible, especially if they are 'Di'..... strange focal lengths for APS-C especially the 28-75.

As Caerus pointed out, the layout is a great improvement. Also, even though both are 24MP, the bigger photosites on D600 mean better low light performance. Using D600 in APS-C mode still lets you have 8MP (A4+) sized images.

Hi Damo88, although I recently changed from D600 to D610 due to repetitive oil spatter on the sensor from the shutter I can confidently say you will be amazed at the difference in image quality. Aside from the benefits of better controls (which mean you don't have to dive into the menu system to change things from one shot to the next) mentioned by Caerus I find the ability to customise several of the buttons very useful. Some people say the AF is a bit hit-and-miss but personally I haven't experienced any issues but maybe I just don't push the envelope that far :)

If you can make the change to the D610 rather than the D600 I would do so just to avoid any of the oil spatter problems that are so common on the D600. It took me three attempts over a 4 month period to get Nikon to replace my D600 but they did it eventually and I couldn't be happier with the camera.

I think your lenses will be a good match for the D600/610 too.

also I have a 28-75mm f2.8 lens and a 70-300 f4-5.6 lens for my d3300 both tamron

would these fit a full frame camera??
Yes, they will both fit, but they won't feel quite the same as they do on your current camera.

Your D3300 is a DX camera, which basically means you're only seeing the central bit of the image formed by your lenses. When you mount them on a FX camera line a D600, you'll see the full image, and the lenses will give you a wider field of view that you're used to. The 28-75 will give you a field of view equivalent to about 18-50 on your DX camera, and the 70-300 will give you a field of view equivalent to about 45-200 on your DX camera. In both cases you'll be gaining something at the wide end and losing something at the long end. Obviously it depends on what you shoot, but I think you might well prefer how the 28-75 feels on a FX camera than on a DX camera; but with the 70-300 I expect it will start to feel a bit too short.

You may also see some softening at the edges on FX, unless the lenses are stellar.

On your DX camera you never used the edges of the glass.

Thank you so much for all your input guys its very helpful

Enjoy the full frame.
I tried it and loved but my back didn't.

I'm now happily using M43 and it's a joy.

Don't let others tell you if you print big you need full frame, you don't.

Decreased depth of field, bokeh and dynamic range are all better (or more pronounced) on full frame. That's all.

I just so happen to have a spare D600 :)
I suppose I should put it in the classifieds. I moved on to a 750 for the extra low light capability with a 7200 as a back up.

Decreased depth of field, bokeh and dynamic range are all better (or more pronounced) on full frame. That's all.
I think of bokeh (quality) mostly as a product of individual lenses rather than format size ... but with the mentioned DoF hit, yes, it'll be invoked more readily.

Dynamic range surely is a quality to die for in colour work? Shoot raw, expose low enough to protect any significant highlights, then pull up the shadows & mid-tones as necessary in processing. It's not just a technical matter, but gives you more creative choices. There's just more embedded tonal information throughout the range that you can choose to emphasise or suppress.

Last edited:
I think of bokeh (quality) mostly as a product of individual lenses rather than format size ... but with the mentioned DoF hit, yes, it'll be invoked more readily.

Dynamic range surely is a quality to die for in colour work? Shoot raw, expose low enough to protect any significant highlights, then pull up the shadows & mid-tones as necessary in processing. It's not just a technical matter, but gives you more creative choices. There's just more embedded tonal information throughout the range that you can choose to emphasise or suppress.

Since moving to M43 I've not once wished "oh I wish I had more dynamic range".

It's how you use the gear, not the gear itself.

Back