Nikon d610 mega used bargain?

Mr Bump

From under the bridge
Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Seen these used mint at under 500 quid are these a good way into full frame?

Yes, if you don't need the better AF.
I don't I am looking at a small full frame setup for creative stuff like astro and nd work landscape and tripod stuff

I don't I am looking at a small full frame setup for creative stuff like astro and nd work landscape and tripod stuff

Should be be fine for that and more. Just make sure the lenses you wan to use arent going to cost you a fortune. Its basically a D750 with less capable AF system, the sensor is very good.

Last edited:
Should be be fine for that and more. Just make sure the lenses you wan to use arent going to cost you a fortune.
Ha well that I cant control much only looking at one lens at the moment a small zoom with a constant f2

Should be be fine for that and more. Just make sure the lenses you wan to use arent going to cost you a fortune. Its basically a D750 with less capable AF system, the sensor is very good.
I would say it is a bit more than just the focusing system.
Better ISO
Better low light capabilities
Better tilt screen
Faster write speeds
and a few other things, having said that the 610 is still a good camera, if its a good price go for it.

I would say it is a bit more than just the focusing system.
Better ISO
Better low light capabilities
Better tilt screen
Faster write speeds
and a few other things, having said that the 610 is still a good camera, if its a good price go for it.

The headline difference is the AF, the other stuff is nice to have.

Capture.JPG

Or find a good D600 which has had the shutter repair done (should be much cheaper).
Nikon calls the D610 an upgrade to the D600, but it's really just a sleight of hand: "pardon us while we take a camera off the market that has a reputation for creating dirty sensors and replace it with the same camera with a different number that doesn't." While my tongue is partially in cheek, Nikon's marketing claim that there was an outcry for an extra half fps that necessitated the update seems really lame. Given that the only three fundamental changes are 6 fps versus 5.5 fps, a quiet continuous mode for the shutter, and a modest change to how Auto white balance is handled, Occam's Razor tells us that the D610 was likely an attempt to get a camera with a bad reputation off the market.
t needing repair. If you're a gambler, you can consider one of the remaining new D600's at the right discounted price (you're taking more risk, you should get better return). Likewise, used D600 purchasers should ask for proof of repair by Nikon or ask for a discount, too.

Thom Hogan

D750 has higher res screen 1,229k dots vs 921k dots.

Better battery life 1230 shots vs 900 shots.

More focus points 51 VS 39 with slightly better coverage.

Newer AF system I think with better low light focusing also.

Slight better FPS and better buffer. JPEG 51 vs 87 for example.

I recently bought the d610 as an upgrade to the d3300 and its a great camera. Originally bought the d600 as it was cheaper but returned it to MPB (fairplay, no quibbles) due to dirty-as-hell sensor and upgraded to the d610 to avoid the same problem

Or find a good D600 which has had the shutter repair done (should be much cheaper).

Thom Hogan

I'd be cautious with that approach. My D600 had it's shutter replaced twice before Nikon finally replaced it with a D610. At the time, the D600 thread on here was full of similar tales of woe. A D600 would be a bargain if you could find one problem free but my experience would really put me off that approach. But the D600/D610 as a camera comes highly recommened by me. Yes the AF isn't it's strong point but it depends on usage as to how big a problem that would be. I had no issues with motorsport and family stuff and it was a great landscape camera too, lovely clean files.

There is a D750 for £675 in the classifieds in mint condition. I’d pay the extra for that.
and it is a bargain if you ask me, the D750's are actually up in price the last two weeks, seems they are still a popular camera as they should be.

Thanks folks lots to think on, but I am still sticking to the D610 idea, I don't need the improvements on the later models for my needs, The purchase of a full frame camera is not to replace my existing setup but to do other things that need the bigger sensor, ie astro and creative ND and landscape stuff. I can get a great 610 for £450 which leaves a lot to purchase my lens with.

Thanks folks lots to think on, but I am still sticking to the D610 idea, I don't need the improvements on the later models for my needs, The purchase of a full frame camera is not to replace my existing setup but to do other things that need the bigger sensor, ie astro and creative ND and landscape stuff. I can get a great 610 for £450 which leaves a lot to purchase my lens with.

That is very little money for a FF with such a good sensor.

What about an original Sony A7 and you can then use pretty much any lens? Can pick them up for less that a 610.

What about an original Sony A7 and you can then use pretty much any lens? Can pick them up for less that a 610.

I have looked at the sony my main thoughts are lenses very expensive and with Nikon much more lenses available

They are if you go native, but you have the option of using any Canon or vintage lens as well with an adapter.

There are also loads of third party lenses available now.

I might have a think about that, I wont be making a purchase for a good few months yet, just putting feelers out.

i have a d600 to get in to FF. I was reluctant to spend too much but i'd say if you can find a decent example of the d610 then its worth a punt.

That said, i'd prefer a d750 for the rear screen and the AF but I appreciate its "only another £175" for the one in the classifieds but this can be a step too far..

If you are doing astro you will want to avoid the Sony A7, the older models are 'star eaters'.

thanks for that, im not into the A7 to be fair the lenses are way to expensive for me.
currently its the 610d and Sigma 24-35 f2 DG HSM Art lens which I think will cover my needs.

The problem with the D600 is overhyped.
The problem mainly manifested over the first 1500 shots.
I've never had a problem with my D600 - a few dust spots as with any camera.
I'll be selling it in the next few weeks as I have the D750 and a D7200 as my main digi cameras now.

That’s interesting. What do you base that on?
Long term reports on most of the camera review sites show that the problem was with the first batches.
Mainly, the problem stopped after about 1500 clicks. Some users did have problems beyond this.
Later batches did not have the problem as this was fixed at the factory.

I have a later batch D600 and have never had the problem. I've only had to clean the sensor twice in the four years I've had it - just usual dust from changing lenses in less than ideal conditions.

I bought a D600 new in 2013, and have never suffered the oily sensor problem. As above, only had to clean the sensor a couple of times. It's been a fantastic camera for the nearly seven years I've owned it, extremely capable in all sorts of conditions, excellent in low light etc. I bought a new Z6 more recently, and tbh, the D600 matches it 90% (for stills; obvs the Z6 has vastly superior video capabilities and better ultra low light performance, but it's 6 years newer). As for other cameras having faster AF etc; such things have never hampered me, even with older AF lenses. I use mine with a battery grip, and it's tough, dependable and reliable. I'll hang onto it until it dies. Brilliant camera.

The D600/610 can be used with many, many Nikon F mount lenses inc 3rd party models. Screw drive AF too, so can be used with many fantastic older AF lenses (Booo, Z6!). Full mechanical aperture control. Sony can't do that. :cool:

The D600/610 can be used with many, many Nikon F mount lenses inc 3rd party models. Screw drive AF too, so can be used with many fantastic older AF lenses (Booo, Z6!). Full mechanical aperture control. Sony can't do that. :cool:
Erm it can...

It offers two adapters the LAe3 and 4. The 4 offers screw drive support.

You can attach any Sony alpha lens or 3rd party lens or of course the huge Minolta back catalogue which even gives f mount a run for its money.

Erm it can...

It offers two adapters the LAe3 and 4. The 4 offers screw drive support.

You can attach any Sony alpha lens or 3rd party lens or of course the huge Minolta back catalogue which even gives f mount a run for its money.

Don't feed the troll. :p

Back