Nikon D610

SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Suspended / Banned
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I know re the sensor dust/oil faults on the D600. Some research shows inclusively if this is resolved. Calumet doing new ones @£1400. Is it worth a punt or am I buying into something thats going to be faulty?

I could get a D800 or D800E but the extra money and resolution is something I don't want to spend, or really need. I am wanting FF for 24/70 lens and the low noise, superior dynamic range.

Does anyone have one, I do cityscapes, cars and landscapes

The 600 was a brilliant camera. It had issues I personally didn't like:-

1) Bit too small
2) Focus points too centrally clustered
3) AF-ON button was poorly placed

but image quality was superb with excellent dynamic range. For the types of shooting you do I think you'll absolutely love it.

Reactions: ST4
The reason why the D610 was released was to resolve the issues around oil spatter.

I use a D5000, its massive. I tend to leave it in M mode, use a cable release and tripod. I'd rather not upgrade tripods to take a heavier camera so the size being a bit smaller is a plus.

My worry is I end up with oil spots on the sensor and marred images. I'm tempted to take it and a 24/70 up @ Calumet in the next few weeks, only thing worrying me is the oil spots.
Roughly what size of RAW file does it spit out, i am assuming about double my D5k, around 24mb

Edit, has the revisions really resolved the oil splatter?

Last edited:
raw files tend to be between 25 and 32 meg depending on iso/detail etc ... and yes I'd be fairly sure the issues are resolved, even Nikon couldn't cock this one up ;).

I think you can rest assured that Nikon have solved the dust/oil issue. Imagine if they released a replacement and it had the same issues! It would be all over the media by now if it was a dog.

slightly off topic, but Chris/Ryan, how did you find the AF in real world situations? Thinking about getting one of these for personal work, but slightly put off by some of the comments out there from some reviewers...

slightly off topic, but Chris/Ryan, how did you find the AF in real world situations? Thinking about getting one of these for personal work, but slightly put off by some of the comments out there from some reviewers...

The AF in itself was ok. I don't shoot particularly fast moving subjects though. It was just the spread of the AF points I didn't.

I didn't mind the AF, its basically the D7000 setup, I found it a bit lacking in low light, something the D800 seems to cope with fine.

I didn't mind the AF, its basically the D7000 setup, I found it a bit lacking in low light, something the D800 seems to cope with fine.

The D7k set up is a lot more advanced than the D5000 I have.

It seems a good set up for me this D610. So long as it doesn't put oil all over the sensor I think its for me.

As stated the 610 resolves the issue of the 600 BUT doesnt it tinkle everyone off that the people with the faulty 600's are stuck with them? Nikon has done nothing about the issue
They could sell them or stop looking for the spots until they become noticeable, then give it a clean, I don't see an influx of cheap D600s anywhere so I guess people are just cleaning them, surely it's no big deal to spend 10 minutes cleaning it.

They could sell them or stop looking for the spots until they become noticeable, then give it a clean, I don't see an influx of cheap D600s anywhere so I guess people are just cleaning them, surely it's no big deal to spend 10 minutes cleaning it.

So they can lose alot of money selling them or shut up? There the options ud give? Why should people have the sensors cleaned to cover up a balls up from nikon? I dont clean my own and I certainly wouldnt be sending it away every few months.

So they can lose alot of money selling them or shut up? There the options ud give? Why should people have the sensors cleaned to cover up a balls up from nikon? I dont clean my own and I certainly wouldnt be sending it away every few months.
Well what choice have people got then? But my point was that I don't see loads of D600s for sale so they cannot be that bad.

Well what choice have people got then? But my point was that I don't see loads of D600s for sale so they cannot be that bad.
Who would buy them knowing of these issues? They have no choice thats the point . Nikon should have recalled them and soeted it not brought put a replacement with very little new on it just to cover there balls up

I nearly bought a 600, but heard the issues with it and held off. Then I twigged re an 800 but cost and image size really are over and above my requirements.

I'd be hopping mad as its expensive and its not fit for purpose, but dealers will let you PX it in and I'd suggest take a hit on it and get a 610 or 800 if they are issue free. I'm getting it in the next few weeks. I'm not seeing anything here or anywhere that says the camera will have the fault of the 600.

Theres always Sony A99s etc

Last edited:
Who would buy them knowing of these issues? They have no choice thats the point . Nikon should have recalled them and soeted it not brought put a replacement with very little new on it just to cover there balls up

I did, picked the D600 new for £849. So far no problems but if dust/oil shows up I'll either clean it or send it back and with reports of Nikon swapping d600 for d610 I am even less worried

I did, picked the D600 new for £849. So far no problems but if dust/oil shows up I'll either clean it or send it back and with reports of Nikon swapping d600 for d610 I am even less worried

Well your the 1st to hear these reports. I know of a couple of people battling to get there 600s sorted.

My point is why should you clean it for a design flaw?

An over oiled shutter is hardly a design flaw. Not seeing the issue with a sensor clean - every dslr needs it now and again anyway

I use a D5000, its massive.

Hardly massive :)

6njftp3.jpg

Last edited:
Forget the whole oil issue.. it only happens when it's new anyway. Just clean the damned sensor :)

Yep.
It apparently happened to some, not all, D600s for about the first 4000 or so actuations. (generally! There were probably exceptions.)

I meant more in size a D800 is a fair bit bigger and with the 610 not being as large, I'll get off with using the same tripod and head.

Why would you need to change the tripod and head?

Honestly the sensor thing is blown out of all proportion. I've got 2x D600. Not cleaned either of them. Do I have some spots. Yes. Do I care? Not much. I shoot most of the time wide open anyway.

I've seen more crap on my friend's 5dmk2 and guess what? He doesn't care either

Sensors get dirty anyway. Just clean the damned thing you bunch of big girl's party dresses :)

Seriously.... it's like returning your car to the dealers because it gets dirty.

Sensors get dirty anyway. Just clean the damned thing you bunch of big girl's party dresses :)

Seriously.... it's like returning your car to the dealers because it gets dirty.

Hardly, I think its fair to say that not all D600's suffered to the same degree, personally I'm sick of people telling other D600 owners that they should suck it up and its just a normal issue with a DSLR, Nikon admitted their was a manufacturing problem, dust I'd say yes I'd expect to clean but when its clearly oil from a faulty internal component on something that you've paid a lot of cash for then I think people had and have every right to be annoyed. Luckily it does seem that the D610 doesn't suffer from the same oil spot issue.

It's a fair bit heavier.... and in reality (meaning finding space n your bag) it's a fair bit larger.

Ba01uHT.jpg

Why would you need to change the tripod and head?

Mass, I thought it (the D800)was quite a large camera and may need a sturdier tripod etc. The 610 being smaller and lighter should still not tax my tripod so much. I am getting heavier glass, a 24-70F2.8 too. I should be ok @ 24mm, if not, I can go for a 16-3 5F4 if I find 24mm not wide enough

Last edited:
Nah.... 200grams or so between them. Makes a difference if there's 2 of them in a bag you're lugging, but as for tripod use, it's fine.

£600 in the bank and more managable file size are pluses. The £600 pays half the 24-70F2.8 I want as well and I can do with some more ND grads as well.

The cash difference is a lot now actually, when I bought mine in early Dec the cashback offer was on and the D610 was a few quid dearer - I have to say I'm not finding any real issue with the larger files though, depends on your PC I suppose!

Me neither. I don't know what people are bothered about D800 file sizes for.. what are they using for a computer.. an abacus?? Since when has 200MB (TIFF) been a big file? It's 140MB for a D600 TIFF. Hardly a massive difference.

Back