Votes: 2 33.3%
  • D70

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Both rubbish

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Edit My Images
No
My daughter and I both use Canon 350d's and a quite happy.
I recently picked up a Nikon D70 for buttons as it was an unknown quantity as it had no battery or charger, I now have it working so which is the better camera and why?

D70 because it fits my hands much better than any Canon I've tried. Another plus is its hybrid shutter which allows higher speed flash synchronisation. And it accepts pretty much any F mount Nikon fit lens without needing an adaptor.

Cut my digital teeth on a d70 and never had an issue with it. Did try a canon for abit but prefer nikon.

Didn't Canon have the lead in image quality at that time?

It may not be enough to matter but may be something to factor into the decision.

My first DSLR was a D70 and I loved it - in fact I still have it and use it from time to time.

"Fits in my hands" - definately, but it also sticks to them...! The rubber grips have started to degrade as it's getting old so it's a bit harder to put down than it once was! :)

I bought my D70 in 2005 and still have it although I've not used it for a while. An excellent camera in its day, although the rear screen was small even then and hilariously so by today's standards. Never had a 350D so can't comment on that.

I still regularly print images I took with it, in fact just had a carefully resized one blown up to somewhere north of A2 size and it looks better than I expected.

I seem to recall looking at a D70 and 350D back when I was buying my first DSLR. Ended up buying a Konica Minolta 5D instead.

(Not really helpful)

And while we're at it, which is the better football team, Manchester United or Manchester City, or Chelsea or Spurs, or Liverpool or Everton, or Celtic or Rangers? To a certain extent, perhaps that might put this sort of question in context? For a lot of people, it's probably the one they've been brought up on and 'support' (maybe through times both good and not quite so good?!).

Long and short of it, I think both Canon and Nikon make very good cameras, so how about adding a 'Both good in their day' option to the poll and calling it a draw? Then try both cameras on different subjects in a variety of different lighting conditions, post some resulting comparison photos and tell us which YOU prefer and why? (y) :)

Last edited:
And while we're at it, which is the better football team, Manchester United or Manchester City, or Chelsea or Spurs, or Liverpool or Everton, or Celtic or Rangers? To a certain extent, perhaps that might put this sort of question in context? For a lot of people, it's probably the one they've been brought up on and 'support' (maybe through times both good and not quite so good?!).
I learned a long time ago that's not a question you should ask... actually just like which is better: PC or MAC and Nikon or Canon...

If you have both cameras it is easy enough to test them to see which gives better images.

That said, that was the choice I had in 2005. I was leaning towards the 350D at the time until I had the chance to hold each camera. My knuckles rubbed on the lens of the 350D, and the D70 felt perfect in my hand. So that was it, for me, the D70 was better, and I never regretted the choice. :)

12 year old technology is in the dark ages, as things moved on pretty quickly from those cameras, but if you are happy with each camera, enjoy. :)

Long and short of it, I think both Canon and Nikon make very good cameras, so how about adding a 'Both good in their day' option to the poll and calling it a draw? Then try both cameras on different subjects in a variety of different lighting conditions, post some resulting comparison photos and tell us which YOU prefer and why? (y) :)

United and Rangers mate, glad to be of help.

Well whilst the Nikon feels better in my hand the Canon is producing better pictures at the moment but only taken a few shots for stuff I was selling

I was going to get a D70/D70s in 2006, but just when I wanted to get one they had gone a rather scarce. Then Canon did a cash back deal on the EOS 20D, so I got that instead and became a Canon user. Still have it, though I've not used it for a while (now using a 7Dii or EOS M).

Because I'd gone with Canon, my other half had a 400D. She now uses a 450D. I find them too small and fiddly, but the image quality is fine.

So to answer your question, I would probably go with the D70 rather than 350D and become a Nikon user. Won't be much in it for image quality, but the D70 is nicer to hold and just feels more solid.

Back