Nikon D700 new Firmware update

Upgrade went without a hitch.

Upgrade went without a hitch.

How long does it take the camera to pull the data from the CF card, arclight? I've never done a firmware update on mine before, but the instructions do make a big song and dance about doing it with the camera attached to a power supply or a fully charged battery :shrug:!?

How long does it take the camera to pull the data from the CF card, arclight? I've never done a firmware update on mine before, but the instructions do make a big song and dance about doing it with the camera attached to a power supply or a fully charged battery :shrug:!?

Did mine yesterday, took about 3 mins from putting the card in to doing the upgrade.

Did mine yesterday, took about 3 mins from putting the card in to doing the upgrade.

OK, that's nothing is it :|? Think I'll risk doing mine on and 80% charged battery after all ;).

Thanks!

Yes, be about 3 minutes.
The rear screen stays illuminated throughout when the file is being written from the CF card to the cameraand a progress bar is shown.
Yes, the fully charged battery is simply a wise precaution.
You don't want anything interrupting the process or you could get left in a fix.

I used a card reader to transfer the update from my PC to the CF card.

If you are unsure about the process download the detailed instructions from the update site. They are well illustrated and easy to follow.

Yes, be about 3 minutes.
The rear screen stays illuminated throughout when the file is being written from the CF card to the cameraand a progress bar is shown.
Yes, the fully charged battery is simply a wise precaution.
You don't want anything interrupting the process or you could get left in a fix.

I used a card reader to transfer the update from my PC to the CF card.

If you are unsure about the process download the detailed instructions from the update site. They are well illustrated and easy to follow.

I just tried to install it with an 80% charge in the battery and got an error message saying that (surprise :naughty:) there wasn't enough charge on the battery :LOL:.

Am charging the battery now and will read the full instructions in the meantime. Everything I've done today has gone horribly wrong, so I should try and be especially careful with my beloved camera :(.

Thanks again for the tips :).

So how's everyone finding the new firmware? Did a few test shots at ISO 6400 and they seem cleaner than the old firmware. Anyone else noticed this?

There are two thread at least about this, my upgrade went without a hitch too.

Thanks for this Mark - I woudn't have realised this was available if you hadn't posted.

Upgraded fine on battery power. Not had time to play or check so can't see if there's any improvement, though I'm sure there's bound to be.

I've upgraded on the theory that any upgrade is worth having, probably a bit naive, but I've not had problems before with Nikon upgrades.

Even if there is no significant improvement future upgrades may have and I suspect previous ones require to be installed to get them.

AWB seems to be vastly improved :eek:!!! I tried it on snow today and it it was almost spot on (still a tad too cold :|). Before the update, I was dialling in appx. 7000K to the manual WB and making do with that, as the AWB always gave a blue hue to snow, under almost any kind of light.

Result (y)!

AWB seems to be vastly improved :eek:!!! I tried it on snow today and it it was almost spot on (still a tad too cold :|). Before the update, I was dialling in appx. 7000K to the manual WB and making do with that, as the AWB always gave a blue hue to snow, under almost any kind of light.

Result (y)!

I noticed that on the D3 as well

is it possible for the new firmware to effect the auto focus. dont know if its me but it dose not seem right since i did it and it was perfect before.

is it possible for the new firmware to effect the auto focus. dont know if its me but it dose not seem right since i did it and it was perfect before.

Technically yes. The firmware can and does affect everything but if it was adversely affecting the focus it would probably have been mentioned elsewhere. Does it happen with different lenses and what is happening?

will try a few more lenses, only had the lens a few days (24-70) and it has not missed a focus point once and now its missing focus over 50% of the time.

not great light but no probs with it last night.

is it possible to get the old firmware back?

will try a few more lenses, only had the lens a few days (24-70) and it has not missed a focus point once and now its missing focus over 50% of the time.

not great light but no probs with it last night.

is it possible to get the old firmware back?

No it will not downgrade but I doubt it will be the firmware especially with that lens. I am sure Nikon will have tested it :)

Back