Nikon D700 official owners/users thread, anything related to the D700

Well chaps I have managed to stumble upon a Mint D3 for less than current New D700 prices so I have gone that way!

Full frame here I come......

My D700 arrived this morning. I suspect they won't be available for much longer.

A great start to the day.... enjoy it!

IMHO, There's no way on earth that a new Nikon professional full framer is going to come in around the £2k mark. No Nikon modern release [camera or lens] has ever cost less than its predecessor, especially with the R+D/early adopter tax to think of. Look at the basic cheapie portrait primes, the 50mm/1.8 or the 85mm/1.8, for a guide to what progress costs.

£2399, the present listed RRP of the D700, is likely to be the starting point but it could be £2499 or even more. Regardless of what this does to D700 used prices [and that's for the separate thread], I just can't imagine there's anything other than wishful thinking that a D800 will be £1999 or so list. Time will tell, so we'll find out for sure on the 7th. One thing is certain; if you wanted a D700 new, then there's only a short time left to get one because I can see the last stock going very quickly [at £1800] if the D800 is another £600-800 on top of that. Either that, or pray your timing is perfect for the 'fire sales' of the old stock...

Last edited:
the 'fire sales' of the old stock..

With all the issues they have had supply has been very bad since Oct last year so there are no stock piles to move on........

I'm personally of the opinion that anyone expecting Park, Jacobs or Warehouse Express to be 'banging the last of the D700 stock out at £1499' will be sorely disappointed... for example, the D700 was on backorder before WEx stopped listing it. As you said, there aren't many stocks left in the country to get rid of.

I Love my D700!!! Takes great pics...

On the subject of second hand prices, following the D800 announcement I don't think this will affect D700 prices at all. I've just sold one of mine with grip for £1400 which is a decent price so I think this will continue for a while. I've upgraded to a D3s, seeing as the D800 isn't a direct D700 replacement.

I'd been waiting for the D800 announcement and decided to stick with my plan to buy the D700. They seem to be out of stock everywhere, with some places saying they're discontinued, although Nikon say they're still in production. Just managed to find one though - looking forward to seeing if it's as good as everyone says it is!

StanstedEssex said:
Where is the best place to sell my D700 boxed body only, I'm going for the D800 need the video!

On here. Avoid eBay if u can. Plenty of people including me on the lookout.

Where is the best place to sell my D700 boxed body only, I'm going for the D800 need the video!

On here. Avoid eBay if u can. Plenty of people including me on the lookout.

:thinking: Not for a couple of months an a few more non spamming posts they can - which no doubt by the time theirs make the classifieds you would have prob found your one.... May even be mine that you MAY have if I make my mind up an sell it :p

Last edited:
I think they go too cheaply on here, if I wanted a decent price for mine it would eBay for sure.

jro7563 said:
Ebay I would have thought, they go for a reasonable ammount on there.

Watch a couple on eBay over the next week or so and see how much they go for. But take into account eBay charges and also if using Paypal, their charges too! Sometimes works out dearer!

Watch a couple on eBay over the next week or so and see how much they go for. But take into account eBay charges and also if using Paypal, their charges too! Sometimes works out dearer!

I 100% agree regarding fee's etc, but when (myself included) you cant use the classifieds on here your options are pretty limited.

Looking at completed listings on Ebay (over the past few days) they average between £900 to £1385.

What about the risk if getting scammed on ebay (i.e. buyer recalls the paypal payment)?

What about the risk if getting scammed on ebay (i.e. buyer recalls the paypal payment)?

Or paying for items and not receiving them, scams work both ways, Ebay or anywhere for that matter, feedback and minimum posts before being allowed to use the classifieds section are just ways to try and reduce the risk to either party, buyer and seller, unless your buying face to face of using WEX, Amazon etc there's a certain ammount of risk involved.

i bought a d700 from ebay using paypal. It never showed up. Got my money back through paypal after about 2 weeks or so think...

i bought a d700 from ebay using paypal. It never showed up. ...

I had the exact opposite with a D300. I sold it on ebay, the buyer paid so I shipped the camera - then paypal recalled the payment. The so-called 'seller protection' was utterly useless.

I had the exact opposite with a D300. I sold it on ebay, the buyer paid so I shipped the camera - then paypal recalled the payment. The so-called 'seller protection' was utterly useless.

Same happenend to me with a lens... I shipped it and the "a55 ole" then reckoned someone hacked his account... Lost the lens an the monies..

I sent it to the address he supplied on paypal so why didn't he just send it back :shrug:

So I agree that with the seller protection is crap (was back then 3/4 years ago)

Changing the subject for a moment, is it normal for the LCD display on a D700 to get warm when using live view???? Have been using it recently to compose pano's so it's on continuously for 10 or so minutes. Just wondered if this is normal having not used it before.

Cheers

Same happenend to me with a lens... I shipped it and the "a55 ole" then reckoned someone hacked his account... Lost the lens an the monies..

I sent it to the address he supplied on paypal so why didn't he just send it back :shrug:

So I agree that with the seller protection is crap (was back then 3/4 years ago)

The only real protection is don't use paypal.

Changing the subject for a moment, is it normal for the LCD display on a D700 to get warm when using live view???? Have been using it recently to compose pano's so it's on continuously for 10 or so minutes. Just wondered if this is normal having not used it before.

Cheers

The LCD on mine used to get slightly warm.

The only real protection is don't use paypal.

TBH the only real protection is to sell it face to face with cash.. Then that way both parties are happy..

TBH the only real protection is to sell it face to face with cash.. Then that way both parties are happy..

That's true - I'd always prefer to sell a camera that way. But if the buyer is few hundred miles away they probably won't want to meet up.

Need to take photo's of dogs running toward me/away from me/across field of view. Have set camera:

Custom Setting Menu a1 (AF-C Priority selection): "Release + Focus."

Custom Setting Menu a3 (Dynamic AF Area) to 51 Points (3D Tracking)

Camera in continuos focus mode - aperture priority.

Using 70-200 lens - 1000 iso gives me 400sec at f5.6

Any more I can do to improve image sharpness.

Thanks

jeff

That's true - I'd always prefer to sell a camera that way. But if the buyer is few hundred miles away they probably won't want to meet up.
I sold my D7000 face to face,if they live hundreds of miles away and dont want to travel then tough,there are plenty of people willing to travel.I would never take paypal on an item like a camera or phone/laptop ect.So many scammers on e-bay its unbelievable.

Jeff.B said:
Need to take photo's of dogs running toward me/away from me/across field of view. Have set camera:

Thanks

jeff

Looks good to me Jeff. Let's see the results. Tough assignment !

Jeff.B said:

Thanks

jeff

I've had more success with single point focus and just using the centre point. I find back button focussing hugely useful for stuff like this too. If using bb I'd set the shutter to release regardless of focus.

The only other thing I like for stuff like this is auto iso. Just set your aperture and shutter speed in manual and let the camera sort the iso.

...I would never take paypal on an item like a camera or phone/laptop ect.So many scammers on e-bay its unbelievable.

The problem is most genuine buyers on fleabay want to use paypal - so refusing to accept it dramatically reduces the chances of selling. Catch 22.

Ozei said:
The problem is most genuine buyers on fleabay want to use paypal - so refusing to accept it dramatically reduces the chances of selling. Catch 22.

Indeed. I think the issue is with PayPal itself. Utterly ridiculous that a service offering 'secure' instant payments at a premium price should also allow those payments to be recalled and there is nothing the seller can do about it.

And of course you can't use any other service because eBay own PayPal so they won't let you.

And despite all if this, unfortunately they still have a monopoly

I've been having a rake around but can't seem to find a recent discussion on third party grips and batteries, I quite fancy trying a grip with the larger battery but as I'm not a big fan of grips I'm looking at the cheap generic ones particularly as the price difference to the official Nikon kit is very large.

Has anyone got any recommendations for the grip, particularly for the battery and a suitable charger? I know you can use AA batteries but a single battery would be so much more convenient.

John

JohnMcL7 said:
I've been having a rake around but can't seem to find a recent discussion on third party grips and batteries, I quite fancy trying a grip with the larger battery but as I'm not a big fan of grips I'm looking at the cheap generic ones particularly as the price difference to the official Nikon kit is very large.

Has anyone got any recommendations for the grip, particularly for the battery and a suitable charger? I know you can use AA batteries but a single battery would be so much more convenient.

John

The meike grip is very good. Built as well as the Nikon, but a lot cheaper. I got mine for about £40 with a free BL-3 from link delight on eBay.
I also bought two d3 batteries and an Mh-12 charger from here for about £100. Great thing is you can keep a d700 battery in the camera too, so you a massive battery life.

Totally agree on the meike. I have one on my 700 and bought one for my son's 7000. Not the same construction as the Nikon but quality is excellent for the £130 odd difference. Bought mine on eBay from a UK based dealer and they arrived in two days.

Back