Nikon D700

Name
Alexis
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi there,
I'm thinking of getting a second hand Nikon D700. I have the D300 now but would like something with better ISO performance. Any advice from anyone as to whether this would be a good move?

If you can afford it, yes.

The d700 is much better at higher ISO, but remember you will need fx compatible lenses, and not DX lenses that you might be using on a d300 which will soon add up.

The button layouts are almost identical, so you should have no problem getting used to it.

I'd echo what TR4x4 said. I did it the wrong way round, got a d700 then FX lenses, i'd suggest getting FX lenses (24-70, 70-200, 50 or 85) first. They'll still be fantastic lenses on the D300 and then up to the D700. Is the lack of ISO performance because you havent got f2.8/f1.8 lenses?

Thanks David
I do have a 1.8 50mm but I think the noise at higher ISO is just with the D300.

Considering the high prices the D700s still fetch (8 or 900 quid), I'd actually consider a D600 instead. Better ISO performance, twice the resolution.. and a warranty!

Downside? It's not a pro camera.. big fat so what :)

Considering the high prices the D700s still fetch (8 or 900 quid), I'd actually consider a D600 instead. Better ISO performance, twice the resolution.. and a warranty!

Downside? It's not a pro camera.. big fat so what :)

The D600 does make this a tough decision. It offers a lot of performance over the D700 in terms of it's sensor and some nice mod cons, not least of which, video. There are just two things that would personally put me off a D600. Firstly, it is the body itself. This is nothing to do with 'pro' body snobbery, I am along way from being a pro but it is purely about button layout and in particular the lack of a dedicated AF-On button which I find really compromises usage if you like back button focussing. Sounds trivial but it's almost a deal breaker for me as I shoot with my left eye and using anything without an AF-On button off to the right is an pain. Of course for the OP, it may be no issue at all.

The other issue with the D600 is the centrally biased focus points. It just seems crazy that it was released like that, they're near useless for anything off centre. Again, not an issue for many but puts me off.

The pluses for the D600 are numerous though. The sensor really moves things on from the D700 (itself, no slouch). N-photo reviewed every single full frame Nikon camera produced and the current batch offer big gains over the older FF sensors, particularly when it comes to dynamic range, noise and of course resolution.

I suppose it's worth mentioning that the D800 isn't mad money used these days as well...

Anyway, back to the D700/D300 thing. I went from a D300 to a D700 and now (due to having to fork out for a new house) back to a D300. As mentioned, the D700 layout will be immediately familiar, which is a good thing. The view finder is substantially bigger and brighter on the D700. Where it really does excel over the D300 is in low light. I would comfortably shoot at iso 6400 (with a little care) on the D700. Being realistic, I'm getting nervous at iso 1600 on the D300. So probably about 2 stops difference, which in real terms is huge.

I'll not comment too much on IQ, I was highly impressed by the D700 in that department I bought a couple of belting lenses at the same time so hard to be objective. I don't think I had a full frame eureka moment but images are very pleasing. Hard to describe but they seem less harsh, more subtle tones maybe. I notice it most on landscape photos.

If you do go for it, I very much doubt you'll be disappointed.

I am along way from being a pro but it is purely about button layout and in particular the lack of a dedicated AF-On button

You can reprogramme the AE-Lock button to perform this task in the custom menus.

I'm about to do exactly the same, i've got the battery grip/spare batteries from my d300 which will work with the d700 which is a huge plus for me, also the fact it's what, 8?, fps with the grip which i need to shoot skateboarding sequences. if i didn't have a battery grip or the need for high FPS i think i'd go for a brand new d600.

You can reprogramme the AE-Lock button to perform this task in the custom menus.

Yep, but it always seems a stretch to me though as it's significantly further from the thumb grip than the AF-on buttons on bigger bodies. And of course you then lose the AE lock function of that button. I do like the fact that you can lock the exposure but keep focussing with just a stretch of the thumb on a D300 or D700. I realise the exposure lock can be done on the shutter but then you lose those settings once you've taken a shot. I guess the work around is to shoot manually but you get used to certain methods. Maybe it's something that I or whoever else would adjust to quickly though so I wouldn't state this stuff as any more than my own ramblings. DSLR's can be used in so many different ways that what's relevant for some may not even register for others.

Must admit if I were in the market for a FF body right now I would have to consider the D600 very carefully as it does make the D700 look a little over valued in terms of used prices. One big benefit that's rarely talked about is that the D600 comes with fully auto modes. It's always annoyed me that the 'pro' cameras drop this as, although they're of no interest to me personally, my wife likes to use a DSLR but knows jack about apertures, shutter speeds etc. She basically can't use my D300 unless I set it up for her beforehand.

Thanks Graham, that was very useful info. I did try out the D600 in a shop but it felt really 'plasticky' and not sturdy at all which put me off.

I had a D300 and then a D700 and the basic image quality is far higher with the D700. If you push your images a lot in post production or use HDR then you will notice a significant difference.

The big problem with the transition is the lenses. I gradually upgraded to FX lenses then brought a D700. The if you buy used lenses you will always be able to get your money back if you change your mind and in the meantime the price of D700 bodies will continue to drop.

I had a D300 and then a D700 and the basic image quality is far higher with the D700. If you push your images a lot in post production or use HDR then you will notice a significant difference.

The big problem with the transition is the lenses. I gradually upgraded to FX lenses then brought a D700. The if you buy used lenses you will always be able to get your money back if you change your mind and in the meantime the price of D700 bodies will continue to drop.

Thanks Andrew

Hi have gone from a D90 to a D700
Love the D90 love the D700
As for the lens issue I use older ai lenses, cheap and fantastic

I have a D90 & D700 but since I got the D700 April last year the D90 has sat in a drawer at home.

I love the ergonomics of the D700 and have no need for video so it suits me perfectly.

I'd still choose a D700 over a D600 mainly down to the narrower AF window and poorer AF of the D600. I recently used a mates D600 indoors recently and the AF kept hunting without achieving focus so I suggested to try my D700 and it locked focus immediately on the subject.

Anyone who likes their D300 will love a D700 imho. The only downside of the D700 for me is the weight (as I also use a grip) and a few more mp's would be nice.

Last edited:
I have a D90 & D700 but since I got the D700 April last year the D90 has sat in a drawer at home.

I love the ergonomics of the D700 and have no need for video so it suits me perfectly.

I'd still choose a D700 over a D600 mainly down to the narrower AF window and poorer AF of the D600. I recently used a mates D600 indoors recently and the AF kept hunting without achieving focus so I suggested to try my D700 and it locked focus immediately on the subject.

Anyone who likes their D300 will love a D700 imho. The only downside of the D700 for me is the weight (as I also use a grip) and a few more mp's would be nice.

Thanks Stuart

Back