nikon d7000 or d300s

D300 is bigger than the d7000, to me that made a difference - it felt too big and cumbersome to me, so I went for the d7000.

However, many people prefer the bigger size, thinking the d7000 feels more like a toy. Would really recommend holding them both.

Thanks for all your comments guys although i must admit i dont feel any more directed. I think the 7000 was my choice but prefer the size and feel of the 300.

Its horrible having to make choices in the photography world...... :s

Hi,
I have both cameras, although I prefer the physical size and build of the D300s, I now mainly use the D7000. I prefer the improved high ISO performance and other little tweaks.

You should try them both out and see how they feel in your hand.

Thanks for all your comments guys although i must admit i dont feel any more directed. I think the 7000 was my choice but prefer the size and feel of the 300.

Its horrible having to make choices in the photography world...... :s

Had the similar issue as well when I switched from a D300 to D7k. But i'm used to the D7k now! or you can wait for D400 which will have all the same functions (improved ones!) with a more solid feel

I'd probably go with the D7000. It's by far the better camera imagewise, however I will echo what others have said about the size. For me it was a problem...especially with something heavy like a 70-200 attached. I'm not usually into buying grips although it was the only thing that seemed to help make the 7000 more usable as it was able to rest against my palm easier. The grip at the front is just too small for me personally and often found my index and middle finger hurting after prolonged use. There's no doubt it's an amazing camera for the money though. The dynamic range was worth the initial discomfort.

Well guys, ive finally done it. Ive bought the d7000, waiting for arrival.
Hope ive made the right choice...;-).

got my d7000 almost 3 weeks ago ........you wont regret it :)

Ive had my d7000 for a week now, must say i am very impressed...
But, im still not getting that image quality that i have seen the d7000 produce.

Im guessing its too do with my basic kit lenses i have, the 18-55 and 55-200, but i still thought it would of produced better results than my d3100.

Apart from the nifty fifty i have what lenses we you recommend. I do portrait work, but i am going to start some sports photography.

I was thinkin about a small zoom replacement and lens to cover the sports. Nothing to expensive as budget will be an issue. £600-700.

Any ideas would be much appreciated...

Ive had my d7000 for a week now, must say i am very impressed...
But, im still not getting that image quality that i have seen the d7000 produce.

Im guessing its too do with my basic kit lenses i have, the 18-55 and 55-200, but i still thought it would of produced better results than my d3100.

Apart from the nifty fifty i have what lenses we you recommend. I do portrait work, but i am going to start some sports photography.

I was thinkin about a small zoom replacement and lens to cover the sports. Nothing to expensive as budget will be an issue. £600-700.

Any ideas would be much appreciated...

Are you shooting raw or jpeg?

What PP do you perform on your images?

Hi guys,

Firstly ive heard the same with tamron but not met anyone using one.

As for PP i try to do as little pp as possible, but i do use nikons capture nx if i need to.

I also shoot in both raw and jpeg, i use the raw if i know i might have to do some pp(portraits) and j peg if im just out and about with camera.

If you use raw there is no "might" about post processing.

The image straight out of the camera will be flat and even soft. It needs work to be seen at it's best.

With jpeg you can set a variety of different levels in camera which may achieve the look you want straight out of camera or do a small amount of work again afterwards.

For your budget by the way, you can get the non OS sigma 70-200 2.8 brand new from Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sigma-70-200mm-Macro-Digital-Cameras/dp/B001044RIQ

If you a near west london feel free to come and have a go with mine, it is up for sale!

I wish i was dan, but im up in the not so sunny northwest.

Out of interest why are you selling it?

If you use raw there is no "might" about post processing.

The image straight out of the camera will be flat and even soft. It needs work to be seen at it's best.

With jpeg you can set a variety of different levels in camera which may achieve the look you want straight out of camera or do a small amount of work again afterwards.

For your budget by the way, you can get the non OS sigma 70-200 2.8 brand new from Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sigma-70-200mm-Macro-Digital-Cameras/dp/B001044RIQ

If photographyman is using capture nx, then any jpeg settings in camera will be applied to the raw file as default and so post processing is not necessarily needed.

Thanks gad, is that a good thing or a bad thing!!!!

Yeah, I think it's quite a good thing. All the raw data is still there if you need it but if you just want to save the image as is, you can just output it to jpeg just as the camera would.

I don't use Capture myself as I'm on Aperture but that particular feature is fairly handy I think.

Just a vote for the tamron from me..I recently got one and its a huge step up from the kit lens,i went for vc version and some samples here
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=407365

Whilst I have nothing for praise for the non-VC in combination with the D7000, and your photos of the VC version not in combination with the D7000 look great as well. I don't think the VC version is great with the D7000, I had it for a short while and missed the focus on nearly every shot. The problem was it was not consistently back or front focussing it was in different places. The semi-pro at the retail outlet tried it as well as I was doubting my technique. We then grabbed another VC which behaved exactly the same. And we then tried another D7000 body with both the VC lenses and it was exactly the same. The fault was consistent across two bodies and two lenses. They ordered in a non-VC and that one was immediately spot. Now the sample we tried was small I agree, but consistent enough for me to be put off by the VC version in combination with the D7000. I'd say save the pennies there...

That is interesting Jean-Paul as I tested my copy of the vc on a d7000 in store at srs and it performed very well.It wasnt just a few snap shots either I spent some time trying it out.Granted I didnt upload to a pc and inspect but on the camera the results were superb and very consistant:shrug:

That is interesting Jean-Paul as I tested my copy of the vc on a d7000 in store at srs and it performed very well.It wasnt just a few snap shots either I spent some time trying it out.Granted I didnt upload to a pc and inspect but on the camera the results were superb and very consistant:shrug:

Yes, I had mine for over a week. Unfortunately I shot my daughters first holy communion with it. And whilst I got some great shots with it, something wasn't quite right. Looked great on the camera display, just about visible when you zoomed in...But once in Aperture on my 30" external display it did become clear. As such the first person in the shop didn't see it, but then I got my laptop out and showed them versus the focal point and they started seeing the 'problem'. Then they did test shots as described above and noticed the problem as well. I'm sure it could be fixed with a lens firmware update, and possible has now. Similar issue I had with an older Sigma lens, 70-200, absolutely spot on on my old D70....But no matter what, it really didn't like the D7000...

I'm sticking with Nikon lenses now and no more of that reverse engineering...Although the 17-50 non-vc does look nice...

Still had some keepers...This is one of the VC with the D7000

DSC_0323 - Version 2 by JP de Jong, on Flickr

And one of the non-VC with the D7000

Children of the Corn'ish (Francesca) by JP de Jong, on Flickr

Mmm not heard of compatibility problems with the d7000 before.Shame as it is a cracking lens and mine is as sharp wide open as some of the nikon lenses I have owned.

Earlier this week my brother brought his nikon kit up, I have to say I was really impressed with the 80-200 F2.8 ED nikkor he bought the other week, they can be picked up second hand within your budget and are a cracking piece of glass.

He's also using his with a kenko 300 pro teleconvertor, 1.4x gives you an F4 300mm and a 2x an F5.6 400mm, both work really well with the ED nikkor.

If you aren't seeing results I'd suggest either get better using the kit you have (the lenses you own are remarkably good and should not be discounted in the slightest - put the 55-200mm against the 70-200mm and there really isn't much in it IQ wise and likewise the 18-55mm can be used for top professional work too!).

Also...out of 100 pictures, maybe 1 will come off camera not PP'd, and that would most likely be a snapshot anyway. You should get into the habit of processing all your best images. You can go down the route of "photography should be done in camera" if you like...but that doesn't produce anything like what an image can look like with a bit if touching up.

Thanks for the info guys, i will have to bite the bullet and start learning PP. Again thanks.

Back