Nikon D7000 or D700 for motorsport?

Name
Ken
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been watching the Nikon D7100 or D700 for low light with some interest. I have a D7000 with some DX and FX lenses which is being replaced by a Sony A7 based system for general wandering around and travelling. However, I like to shoot (mainly classic) motorsport and was going to keep the D7000, 70-200 f2.8 (Sigma) and 300 f4 (Nikon) and 1.4x teleconvertor purely for motorsport purposes. I am wondering if it would be worth selling the the D7000 and getting a D700 for this? This wouldn't cost a lot of money, and I don't want to spend a lot of money for something I do a couple of times a year at most. So, for the 300 quid difference between what I'd get for the D7000 and what I could get a D700 for, would it be a good move?

D7000 all the way! You will get more reach with the d7000 being dx sensor ! Any lens you don't use 10 times a year isn't worth keeping really is it?

Last edited:
Would it be better? probably. Is it worth the cost to change given how often you'll use it? probably not...

I always got on with my D7000 while shooting Motorsport, plenty of people struggle with the buffer but I'm not really a machine gunner so didn't find it a problem :)

One thing that I do think helped was a grip on it to help balance out larger lenses albeit I was only issuing a 70-210 4-5.6. I'm yet to use my D700 at a track so I can't help with a side by side :)

Buffer isn't important is it really! As said above....

Not a machine gunner here, I used to do motorsport with an FM2n with film. Pan and click is my thing. TBH, I was happyish with my D70 but the d7000 does it better. Seems like spending money for a d700 is silly, until the next gen after comes affordable.

A 600's af isn't supposed to be great but the 800 would be better! But as I say the lenses for 800 because it's ff is going to cost loads more for the same reach

Back