Nikon D70s - long exposures

Yv

TPer Emerita
Name
Yvonne, pronounced Eve...
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys, need some help locating something on the d70s - yes, I have the instruction manual - just not at home :shrug:

I have been taking some pics of the moon, so no problem there, but I then wanted to do an exposure of some 2 minutes just of the dark garden, to compare with a friends pics using the same settings in Devon, to see the difference because of light pollution etc, here in london. However, I can only get it upto 30 secs even with everything set on manual. I am sure there is a way via the menu to extend this, but I have played around and still can't find it. He has the D70 and did it, so I KNOW its there, but is away atm, so can't even ask him! Please help. :thinking:

I'm not sure where it is on the D70, but what you want is the B (Bulb) setting. On that setting you can leave the shutter open as long as you keep it depressed... a week if you like, but the batteries might not make it. :D In practice it's usual to release the shutter with a lockable cable release.

Nowt to do with your question but at one time cameras also had a T (Time) setting where the shutter opened on one press and only closed when you pressed it again which was really handy.

On Canon cameras it's just a mode... along with Manual TV, AV, P etc Try cycling through he modes.:shrug:

When in Manual, just cycle past 30" to 'bulb'

Then press the shutter once to start the exposure. return 2 minutes later and press again

you may want to turn on Long Exposure Noise Reduction though :)

DM is right I just checked it out. The shutter stays open for 30mins max.

Back