Nikon D7100 focusing problem

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
My D7100 has started to focus on the closest object no matter what it's pointed at. I've tried different settings, lenses and done a factory reset but nothing works. Reviewing the shots on camera tells me that it's set to single point focus but clearly it isn't. I generally use it on AF-S and a single point for focus.

All the lenses tried work fine on my other Nikons.

Any help would be appreciated

Focus point is the centre, set and locked.

Lenses tried -

Nikon 16-85mm
Nikon 18-140mm
Tamron 10-20mm

if you manually adjust focus on the lens does that work. Might be a focus screw type thing

May be A poor connection between a camera body and lens can result in no focus when the lens does not receive instructions from the camera. Remove and re-attach the lens to the camera making sure the locking pin clicks into place.
He's tried 3 lenses, I doubt every one hadn't been mated properly.

I'd reset to factory.

if you manually adjust focus on the lens does that work. Might be a focus screw type thing
All lenses tried work as they should on manual.

He's tried 3 lenses, I doubt every one hadn't been mated properly.

I'd reset to factory.
I've tried that but it's made no difference.

Is it a setting I've missed? Something I should turning on or off?

Curiously I had a friend with a similar issue and like you tried all settings and many lenses without success. I had a look inside to check the sensor and found a pet hair trapped in the mirror mechanism that was in front of the focus sensor when the mirror lifted but not when looking through the viewfinder. It took some finding and was difficult to remove but all is well now. Can I suggest you get a loupe or torch and have a really good look at sensor and mirror with mirrored locked as well. Good luck !

PS Check this link for diagram :- https://www.quora.com/My-Nikon-D710...-it-works-fine-in-view-finder-Is-it-my-sensor

Curiously I had a friend with a similar issue and like you tried all settings and many lenses without success. I had a look inside to check the sensor and found a pet hair trapped in the mirror mechanism that was in front of the focus sensor when the mirror lifted but not when looking through the viewfinder. It took some finding and was difficult to remove but all is well now. Can I suggest you get a loupe or torch and have a really good look at sensor and mirror with mirrored locked as well. Good luck !

PS Check this link for diagram :- https://www.quora.com/My-Nikon-D710...-it-works-fine-in-view-finder-Is-it-my-sensor

I've just tried this and can find nothing . The sensor looks clean and dust free, as does the mirror.

Thanks for the suggestion, it was worth a try.

I'm sure you've already checked it, but I've known someone have a sticky AE/AF lock button that caused a similar problem many years ago.

It was a button he never used and a few sessions of multiple presses and power on/off seemed to sort it out for him. It could have been a coincidence, but he was certain it was that.

I'm sure you've already checked it, but I've known someone have a sticky AE/AF lock button that caused a similar problem many years ago.

It was a button he never used and a few sessions of multiple presses and power on/off seemed to sort it out for him. It could have been a coincidence, but he was certain it was that.

I've had a run through all the buttons and switches, one of the first things I tried. All seem to operate as they should.

Reactions: Sky
just to be sure. You dont have the af/mf lever set to mf?
when you press the i/ info button does it say mf or af?

if not i suspect it might be whatever is controlling the signal or screw between the body and lens isnt working. Whether loose or damaged/ worn but that is what it sounds like to me

just to be sure. You dont have the af/mf lever set to mf?
when you press the i/ info button does it say mf or af?

if not i suspect it might be whatever is controlling the signal or screw between the body and lens isnt working. Whether loose or damaged/ worn but that is what it sounds like to me
OP's lenses listed are AF-S and don't use the screw type AF mechanism

Back